Consequence of shifting carry-on luggage to checked luggage for aircraft weight

Old August 14th 06, 05:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Default Consequence of shifting carry-on luggage to checked luggage foraircraft weight

BTIZ wrote:
Personally, I don't care about weight and balance. I care that I can't
take my contacts out on a transatlantic flight and that the TSA would be
shuffling through company secret information if I were to check it on a
business trip.

Wear your glasses. You can carry papers.. don't check company proprietary
information.
BT

Are you kidding? You think I'd check contact lenses? My eyes aren't
correctable to 20/20 with glasses and I can't risk getting to the other
end and not having contacts. Can't drive to the airport in glasses, either.

And if you think I'm paranoid, the airlines/TSA have a 100% lose/steal
rate with my checked luggage. I've learned.
Old August 14th 06, 05:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

don't check company proprietary
information.

So, what to do with my palm?

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old August 14th 06, 05:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Jose wrote:
don't check company proprietary information.

So, what to do with my palm?

Jose

I've been getting all sorts of answers like, "oh, just do this" since
this whole thing came up. Problem is, you can't "just do that" like
people think. It's narrow-minded thinking at its best.
Old August 14th 06, 05:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_1_]

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 19:39:16 -0500, Emily
wrote:
You've got a point, though. Maybe someone should suggest to them that
they need to start giving all passengers rectal exams before they board.

The TSA is already ****ing us... And you call it a "rectal exam"...
You're kinky, Emily...
Old August 14th 06, 08:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Richard Riley writes:

The Federal Aviation Administration change was reportedly proposed in
2004 after the crash of a passenger carrying aircraft in North
Carolina in 2003 that was due in part to the aircraft's uneven weight
distribution. The increase in weights take into account the fact that
recent research has revealed that passengers' body weights have
increased and clothing is generally heavier in winter months."

All well and good, but that doesn't resolve the problem I've raised,
although what you quote appears to confirm that the average estimated
passenger weight _does_ include some presumed weight of carry-on
luggage.

The problem here is that the presumed weight for carry-on luggage
right now is some non-zero number x, when in fact the real carry-on
luggage weight is zero. So the calculations are overestimating
aircraft weight by x*y, where y is the number of passengers. This can
amount to thousands of pounds.

I've e-mailed a question about this to the FAA but I have not yet
received a reply.

Years ago I was told a story by a 727 pilot, about a charter flight
where they aborted the takeoff because they weren't getting the
accelleration they were expecting. Turned out the flight was a
charter by coin collectors, they all had 50-100 lbs of rare, expensive
coins in their carry on stuff.

I think people should just be weighed with their carry-ons, and forget
the political correctness. I'm sure a weighing platform could be
installed at security checkpoints so that weight could be checked.

Old August 14th 06, 11:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article gJSDg.16807$RD.14923@fed1read08, "BTIZ"
wrote:

Personally, I don't care about weight and balance. I care that I can't
take my contacts out on a transatlantic flight and that the TSA would be
shuffling through company secret information if I were to check it on a
business trip.

Wear your glasses. You can carry papers.. don't check company proprietary
information.
BT

That is completely impractical, and demonstrates absolutely no understanding
of why people travel, what people's medical needs are, the lack of security in
protecting checked luggage, and the uselessness of fighting yesterday's tactics.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old August 14th 06, 11:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Moore

Mxsmanic wrote

The problem here is that the presumed weight for carry-on luggage
right now is some non-zero number x, when in fact the real carry-on
luggage weight is zero. So the calculations are overestimating
aircraft weight by x*y, where y is the number of passengers. This can
amount to thousands of pounds.

However...the same regulation that permits the "average passenger
weight", also permits an "average bag weight" in the baggage holds.
The airlines that I flew for averaged every thing. No Problem.

Bob Moore
Old August 14th 06, 02:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

"Emily" wrote in message
Jose wrote:
don't check company proprietary information.

So, what to do with my palm?

Jose

I've been getting all sorts of answers like, "oh, just do this" since this
whole thing came up. Problem is, you can't "just do that" like people
think. It's narrow-minded thinking at its best.

Well they are now going to let you carry less than 4 oz of some liquids.

Old August 14th 06, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Bob Moore writes:

However...the same regulation that permits the "average passenger
weight", also permits an "average bag weight" in the baggage holds.
The airlines that I flew for averaged every thing. No Problem.

How far off can aircraft weight be, percentage-wise, before it makes a
potentially hazardous difference in flight characteristics?

Old August 14th 06, 03:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

Ron Lee wrote:

You've got a point, though. Maybe someone should suggest to them that
they need to start giving all passengers rectal exams before they board.

That will happen when a plot uses that method. I am not looking
forward to that day.

Think of the fun one could have with free rectal exams, however. Makes me
appreciate the fact that I never aspired to be a TSA security agent.

--
Peter