Trouble Reaching Caracole?

Old January 8th 07, 05:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
309

Default Trouble Reaching Caracole?

Anybody else having trouble getting in contact with Caracole Soaring?

When I call the telephone number, the recording says "this wireless
customer is not taking calls at this time..."

My emails are bouncing...

....or am I just being blocked?

-Pete

I e-mailed Cindy 12/20 and have not had a reply. I figured they might
be on vacation for a while.

Frank Whiteley

Old January 8th 07, 06:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CindyB

Effing technology.
If I had left things to the "normal channels" no one would have
noticed.

Pete :

My ISP was dorked today, and I couldn't get email, nor send any.
It may have been dorked yesterday, I didn't get on line to check.
It surprises me not at all that it was bouncing things back.
My apologies for the inconvenience.

If I had left the hangar phone on the answering machine, you would
have reached a recording asking you to leave your message.
Since I asked the hangar to forward to a cellphone late today, and
that phone doesn't take voice mail, and apparently has crummy coverage
where I was....
you got the dead end answer.

Your glider is fine on the ramp, just lonely. Hope you visit soon.
We had wave from NW on Thursday, NE ugly wave on Friday and
none this weekend. 12/27 I waved in the Citabria 115hp with a friend,
spin training, while a Bonanza used his 300hp to auger into a hole
on the leeward side of Gorman. He lived, the Bo did not.
More ASMEL pilots need wave training, if they plan to leave the ground.

Frank :
Sorry I didn't get a speedy answer to you about changing the CSA email
address. It will be updated on my end, and you will get confirmation
when it's done.

For the rest of the universe, sorry to bother you with the local news.
We're here. Usually out flying and not sitting by the phone. Don't be
surprised if I don't get back to you until after dark. Yes, I am going
to the Memphis Convention, and Marty is staying home to offer normal
flight services.

We live on the trailing edge of technology out here in the hinterlands.
Please try to not expect nano-second corporate response rates as
CNN and Verizon/Sprint/ATT try to train urban America to anticipate?

Happy Hew Year,

Cindy B

Old January 8th 07, 07:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
309

Well, a new way to communicate, via R.A.S.!

My original question to you, about a week ago, is what cell service is
recommended in the Owens' Valley (and at Cal City)!!!

Our AT&T/Cingular/AT&T cell phones are old, battered and in need of
update (equipment, that is), and that usually means a "new contract,"
and I've been pondering making that new contract with a different
provider. Of course that's motivated by a desire for better service...

Since I opted for AT&T years ago because they offered superior service
in the Owens', I was calling/emailing to find out if that has
changed...since I see evidence that more than just Nextel works on base
at EAFB, it led me to think there might be competitive towers on the
road to Mammoth...but then maybe I'm wrong.

Maybe the rest of RAS can chime in on best cell phone coverage.
Consumer Reports says Verizon wins hands down across their surveyed
areas...but alas, I didn't see Bishop, Lone Pine or any of the other
"hot spots" on their report. Depending on your answer, I may just
re-up with Cingular/AT&T. My _very_old_ AT&T phone always seemed to
work fairly well on the ramp at Cal City. The only time I had spotty
coverage from it was when I landed out at Olancha...

Glad to hear the glider is doing well. I'm still putting all the Swift
pieces back together...business travel didn't help, and there are far
more parts on the Swift than the 1-26 (oil to change, pulleys to lube,
gear to swing) ...so when I get that done, I'll putter on up there and
tend to the needs of the 1-26 (tire, battery, etc.).

As usual, time is the limiting commodity, followed closely by you know
what...

Cheers and Happy New Year!!!

-Pete

Old January 9th 07, 06:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian Cant

Pete,
For whatever it's worth, I used to be with Cingular maybe 4-5 years
ago, and their coverage then was terrible. Switched to using Tracfone
prepaid, and have had no problems since. It definitely works between Mojave
and Bishop, most of the way from Bishop to Reno except at high altitudes and
in obvious canyons. I understand that instead of using their own towers
they simply lease bandwidth from all the providers - so it costs a little
more per minute, but the coverage is the sum of all providers.

Ian

Old January 31st 07, 12:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Kinsell

CindyB wrote:

Frank :
Sorry I didn't get a speedy answer to you about changing the CSA email
address. It will be updated on my end, and you will get confirmation
when it's done.

Just so others aren't confused by this, Colorado Soaring Association is
still at www.soarcsa.org, just where we've always been. Email going to other
domains sure ain't going to us.

Dave Kinsell

Solar storms spell trouble for GPS Larry Dighera Piloting 66 April 11th 07 03:20 AM
Posting Trouble Cody Dawg Piloting 3 November 29th 06 08:06 PM
Trouble ahead over small plane fees AJ Piloting 90 April 15th 06 01:19 PM
XM financial trouble [email protected] Instrument Flight Rules 21 March 22nd 06 05:09 PM
Avionic trouble Henning DE Home Built 1 September 10th 04 10:23 PM