A disadvantage of retractable gear

Old December 25th 03, 10:18 PM
John Harlow

Default A disadvantage of retractable gear

Sometimes they can emit strange odors...

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Northeast....ap/index.html

Old December 26th 03, 02:41 AM
Judah

I'm surprised the TSA didn't know about that one in advance now that we're
code Orange.

"John Harlow" wrote in
:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Northeast...eel.ap/index.h
tml

Old December 27th 03, 05:25 AM
Robert M. Gary

When I first bought my Mooney, the first annual included $200 for "Rat
socks". A corpse could never fit into the wheel well of a Mooney but
apparently rats do and they make a special fabric cover to go in there
to prevent rats from climbing up the wells.

Old December 29th 03, 06:57 PM
Ron Natalie

"Nomen Nescio" ] wrote in message
Two words, FOX URINE. Soak a rag in the stuff and place it under the plane. Rats won't come
within 100 ft of the aircraft, neither will most people. Works for mice, squirrels, chipmunks,
and many birds, also.
You can actually buy the stuff at agricultural supply outlets like "Agway" or hunting supply
outlets.
Not recommended for closed hangers and don't hang it off the plane 'cause it's somewhat
acidic.

Also keeps away the deer. It's also the noxious chemical sprayed on highway evergreens
to discourage scoundrels from cutting them down for Xmas trees. It's more than somewhat
acidic...keep it a long way away from unprotected metal.

Old December 30th 03, 01:39 AM
John Harper

I wish. I bought a tub of this stuff (in powedered form) at my
local True Value, hoping to keep squirrels off my wife's plants.
We scattered it all around the place. Honestly the smell isn't
very noticeable, unless you stick your nose in the tub. The
squirrels evidently agreed, it didn't seem to have much effect
on them either. And it costs a fortune.

I've never had a problem like this with the plane. But as far
as the garden is concerned, my wife is convinced that we
need a resident Pine Martin.

John

From: (Michael)

(Robert M. Gary) wrote
When I first bought my Mooney, the first annual included $200 for "Rat
socks". A corpse could never fit into the wheel well of a Mooney but
apparently rats do and they make a special fabric cover to go in there
to prevent rats from climbing up the wells.

A fabric cover will not prevent rats from doing anything - rats will
chew right through fabric. Not sure what your IA was thinking there.

A friend of mine (also an IA) with a Twin COmanche used to have that
problem. Rats would get into the plane and eat the wiring, despite
the plane being hangared. My plane sat outside, but I never had the
problem. I made friends with the local cat airport cat. Sure, I
sometimes had paw prints on my wings - but the local rodentia stayed
far away.

Let's see: "Rat socks" - $200. Catnip - $1.95. 'Nuff said.

Michael

Old December 30th 03, 07:28 AM
John Harper

Probably it is. Actually I wondered about the logistics of this stuff.
Where exactly do you get industrial quantities of fox urine from?

John

"Nomen Nescio" ] wrote in message
Never heard of powdered fox urine. You sure it's not some "animal

repellent with
fox urine"?
Try the real stuff, if you don't have to hold your breath while

distributing it, it ain't
real. If the neighbors don't complain, it ain't real. If the squirrels

don't leave skid marks
as they depart the area, It ain't real.