FAA Medical Question

Old September 4th 10, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

Default FAA Medical Question

On Sep 4, 11:35*am, wrote:
Mxsmanic wrote:
A Guy Called Tyketto writes:

And this would be HYPERglycemia, not HYPOglycemia. The former
is higher blood glucose levels; the latter is not.

I am aware of this, thank you.

And yes, I am hypoglycemic.

Asymptomatic hypoglycemia is not disqualifying in itself.

Why thank you, Mister AME.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.

With Google all are experts, even if reading comprehension is
substandard. The real world metric is what one does, not what one
Googles.
Old September 4th 10, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

writes:

Why thank you, Mister AME.

You're welcome.
Old September 5th 10, 06:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
A Guy Called Tyketto

Old September 5th 10, 11:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

A Guy Called Tyketto writes:

Then you should know very well that hypoglycemia is not a risk
for insulin dependent diabetics.

Persons taking insulin or oral hypoglycemics for diabetes are always at risk
of hypoglycemia if the dosage is incorrect. The risk is high enough that
diabetics treating their condition with insulin or medication are advised to
keep a source of glucose close at hand, in case they make themselves
hypoglycemic.

The risks of hypoglycemia and DKA are the bases for the status of diabetes as
a generally disqualifying condition if it is treated by insulin or oral
medication.

Never said it did, but being hypoglycemic does give me better
insight into the matter, which you do not have.

No, it does not, any more than being pregnant makes one a qualified
obstetrician.

Additionally, nobody is simply "hypoglycemic"; there is always a cause for
symptomatic hypoglycemia and it is virtually never a continuous state.
Prolonged symptomatic hypoglycemia can cause brain damage, and must be
aggressively treated and corrected. Asymptomatic hypoglycemia is harmless in
itself but merits investigation.

The most common cause of hypoglycemia in adults is an overdose of insulin
during treatment for diabetes.

Symptomatic hypoglycemia may justify denial for medical certification, until
and unless the cause of the hypoglycemia can be identified and corrected so as
to prevent acute episodes during flight.

At one time (1970s mostly, I believe), "hypoglycemia" was a fashionable
condition, like fibromyalgia or peanut allergies, but its popularity has waned
today. As with all fad illnesses, most of the people who thought they had it
didn't.
Old October 25th 10, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blanche

Mxsmanic wrote:
Mark writes:

No really. With today's epidemic of diabetes it's
not uncommon for police to intercept drivers who have
become totally disoriented and incapacitated due to
low blood sugar.

Hypoglycemia is mainly a risk for insulin-dependent diabetics, who represent
only a small minority of diabetics (particularly when one considers only those
who are especially at risk of hypoglycemia).

There are some jurisdictions that prohibit diabetics from driving, although
that's an extreme overreaction with no justification in reality.

Also, the idiots who drive under the
influence are "medically incapacitated" while they're high
on booze or drugs, which account for a large percentage
of accidents. Alcoholism and drug addiction is considered
a disease.

Substance abuse is a choice that one makes independently of uncontrollable
medical factors. Alcohol is a leading cause of automobile accidents, but
nothing forces anyone to drink alcohol.

Wonderful...Now he's a medical expert too?
Old January 27th 13, 04:07 PM
maryroth maryroth is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T182T View Post
I have always had a First-Class medical, not because my aviation
activity (PPL/IR) requires it, but mostly in case I don’t get in to see
the doctor in time, so it derates to a second class instead of leaving
me grounded. That happened this year for the first time, because my
doctor told me she is retiring, so I need to find someone else.

I have moderate arterial hypertension (about 160/110 uncontrolled)
which is well controlled (130/85) with a calcium channel blocker
(verapamil, 360 mg/d). This condition is unchanged throughout all the
years I have been flying. Also, because I am over 40 and I always get a
first-class medical, it means I have an EKG every year, and these have
always been perfectly normal.

My problem is that my AME has always considered this well-controlled
condition to be not serious enough to bother with the FAA procedures,
and not worth declaring. So all these years I have declared that I am
not taking any medication, when this is not in fact true. My question
is, now that I have to change AME, is this the time to "come clean" with
the FAA and declare this condition? I have never lied to the medical
examiner, she is the one who suggested I not declare it, stating that I
do not have a serious medical condition or a higher chance that the
average person to have a health-related incident when flying. If I
don’t say this to the new AME then it becomes me who is not telling the
truth, and I know the FAA takes a dim view of this. On the other hand,
if I come forward with it then it becomes obvious there has been a
"white lie" for many years. I am also concerned for the AME. Even if she
is now retired, I’m concerned another doctor could find fault with her
method, even though she has always been very thorough, and my exams have
rarely lasted less than 2 hours with all the tests and questionnaires.

Question for those who really know - What’s the best thing for me to do?
I am a nurse/private pilot and have come across a product that was developed to fight type 2 diabetes, b/p, cholesterol, and obesity. I have used this for a year, and lost 50lbs. I have a non-pilot friend who has gotten off statins, metformin, nitro and b/p meds., with this fiber/vitamin based product. All natural.
I would strongly recommend trying this to any pilots who are looking to fight these problems, stay off or get off meds, and retain your medical.

I urge you to message me. Everyone needs to know about this stuff. It is NOT a scam, or gimmick. Mary
Old January 27th 13, 04:47 PM
maryroth maryroth is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
On Jul 18, 8:31*am, a wrote:

This 'unintended experiment' more or less led me to
conclude most of us with class 2 or 3 physicals may only see an MD for
a regular check up as part of of flight physical, and that is probably
the first time many of us learn of an underlying problem.

Yep, describes me to the tee. 2 very serious conditions for me was
discovered during my medical. One as described in my prior post
extreme hypertension and another was pre-melanoma freckle on my back
that look like a freckle to me. Both considered silent killers since
I had no "symptoms" to complain about.

So, this pilot doesn't complain about the nuances of the medical
process.

Of course I now see a doctor once a year for my BP medication renewal
but even then it's less then an FAA medical review.
As a nurse and pilot, I have been asked many times how to regulate b/p and cholesterol issues naturally, and the easy answer is to reduce fat/cholesterol and sodium in your diet. Sadly for many, thats not enough in large part to hereditary issues.

In my search to help these people, I have come across a supplement that lowers cholesterol, b/p, triglycerides, and manages blood sugar/insulin ratios. I tried this myself, sure that it must be a scam because it sounded too good to be true, as nurses and doctors are trained to be very skeptical about things like this. I have had very good results, and have started recommending it to my patients, friends and family. And they, too, are having great results with it. Even to the point of getting off their meds.

For about $2 a day. I am now a firm believer in this stuff, and will share the information with anyone and everyone, as who wouldn't want to change their health without meds and their side effects.

email me and i will be happy to share this info. with you.

Mary

Question on the medical... Richard Piloting 25 March 29th 06 04:41 PM
Yet another medical question Rachel Piloting 13 February 5th 06 11:44 PM
Medical question Michael Piloting 10 December 7th 05 07:58 PM
FAA medical question G. Sylvester Piloting 17 March 12th 05 12:13 PM
Question Medical Captain Wubba Piloting 5 June 11th 04 05:12 AM