On air conversation about JFK controller - Video

Old March 6th 10, 03:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default On air conversation about JFK controller - Video

On air conversation about JFK controller - Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKrffnq4V1A

I wanted to go to a new airport. While on KJAN approach frequency,
discussion ensued about the recent incident at JFK. It wouldn't
surprise me that the feelings the approach controller conveyed in the
video represented most ATC controllers. I am also glad he didn't lose
his style of personal style of handling traffic and humor :-)

6 minute video includes take off from KMBO, initial contact with
approach and conversation above, landing KIDL and landing KMBO
Old March 6th 10, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Mar 6, 12:29*pm, A Guy Called Tyketto
wrote:

Mxsmanic wrote:
writes:

I wanted to go to a new airport. *While on KJAN approach frequency,
discussion ensued about the recent incident at JFK. *

Then the controller was making essentially the same mistake as the one at JFK.
ATC frequencies are not for chats or discussions.

* * * * The same exact thing you said about the person who talked that
scared student pilot down, who won an Archie Award for doing so.

Too friggin funny!

Of course Mx makes a judgment without being there.

It was only me, the other pilot and maybe 2 other planes in the entire
Charlie airspace. In this video. It was so quiet on frequency that I
edited the silence out,. There was about 2 to 3 second delay in
between responses so I edited that period of time out for video
purposes.

Hardly a safety issue to say the least.
Old March 6th 10, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george

On Mar 7, 8:22*am, " wrote:

Too friggin funny!

Of course Mx makes a judgment without being there.

It was only me, the other pilot and maybe 2 other planes in the entire
Charlie airspace. *In this video. *It was so quiet on frequency that I
edited the silence out,. *There was about 2 to 3 second delay in
between responses so I edited that period of time out for video
purposes.

Hardly a safety issue to say the least.

Just imagine for one second (which is all it would take) to imagine
real life (and unsimulated flight) as mixedup would have it.

Things like changing frequencies of all other nonemergency traffic
seem to elude this paragon of the bytes in the sky...

There's no Control-Alt-Delete to the real world !

Old March 7th 10, 03:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

A Guy Called Tyketto writes:

The same exact thing you said about the person who talked that
scared student pilot down, who won an Archie Award for doing so.

Award or not, the controller didn't save that pilot. And if the pilot had
died, I think it safe to say that no Archie Award would have been forthcoming.
Old March 7th 10, 07:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
A Guy Called Tyketto

Mxsmanic wrote:
A Guy Called Tyketto writes:

The same exact thing you said about the person who talked that
scared student pilot down, who won an Archie Award for doing so.

Award or not, the controller didn't save that pilot. And if the pilot had
died, I think it safe to say that no Archie Award would have been forthcoming.

********. If the controller weren't there and able to get the
pilot down, that pilot wouldn't be alive today, let alone flying
another plane today. From the Award Aware press release itself:

http://www.natca.org/mediacenter/Archie09-Southwest.msp

John Charlton displays dedication and professionalism continuously as
an air traffic controller at LCH, and on Sept. 23, 2008, he once again
went above and beyond to ensure a safe end result to a situation that
could have easily ended in tragedy.

On this specific day, it was Charlton?s patience that saved the day. He
was working local control when a Delta State University student pilot
came over frequency requesting clearance. After clearing the Cessna 172
to land on Runway 15, Charlton watched as it made two unsuccessful
attempts.

It goes on further to say:

[John's] actions speak highly for the amount of dedication that he
showed on this day and every day that he reports to work at FAA LCH
ATC,? describes Lake Charles Regional Airport Director of Public
Safety, Chad Primeaux, who has more than 18 years of experience in the
airport public safety business. ?If it had not been for Charlton?s
professionalism and dedication to the job at hand, the end result would
have been a totally different event than the one that occurred.?

Charlton demonstrated these significant qualities at such an imperative
time, remaining calm and alert as he continued to work other aircraft
and ground vehicles. In addition, he showed remarkable tolerance for
the young pilot, one who was physically shaking from the traumatic
experience she had just endured.

"Through the years, I have heard and witnessed a number of emergency
situations involving aircraft," wrote airport Executive Director Heath
Allen in a letter to the Federal Aviation Administration. "I can't say
that I have ever observed such a devoted, extraordinary effort that Mr.
Charlton gave to ensure that the young pilot landed safely and walked
away unharmed."

Transcripts and audio of the incident are available as well.

BL.
- --
Brad Littlejohn | Email:
Unix Systems Administrator, |

Web + NewsMaster, BOFH.. Smeghead! |
http://www.wizard.com/~tyketto

Old March 7th 10, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave[_19_]

Not only that, but he did it in a way that she probaly was able to get
back into a plane the folowing day and continue her career..

An experience lke that can stop some careers cold......

Dave

On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 07:06:49 +0000 (UTC), A Guy Called Tyketto

Old March 7th 10, 02:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

A Guy Called Tyketto writes:

********. If the controller weren't there and able to get the
pilot down, that pilot wouldn't be alive today, let alone flying
another plane today.

I've heard the recording. He didn't really provide much help. She had a cute
voice, and that probably motivated him to "help" her. And that probably also
caused other people to assume that she wouldn't have been able to survive on
her own (cute girls being so helpless and all). And shaking after a bad
experience isn't unusual, and it doesn't necessarily indicate a high degree of
actual risk.
Old March 7th 10, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Mxsmanic wrote:
A Guy Called Tyketto writes:

********. If the controller weren't there and able to get the
pilot down, that pilot wouldn't be alive today, let alone flying
another plane today.

I've heard the recording. He didn't really provide much help. She had a cute
voice, and that probably motivated him to "help" her. And that probably also
caused other people to assume that she wouldn't have been able to survive on
her own (cute girls being so helpless and all). And shaking after a bad
experience isn't unusual, and it doesn't necessarily indicate a high degree of
actual risk.

More delusional nonsense.

Total disconnect with reality noted.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old March 7th 10, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Mar 7, 8:49*am, Mxsmanic wrote:

I've heard the recording. He didn't really provide much help. She had a cute
voice, and that probably motivated him to "help" her.

Pray tell, how do you come up with this WHIMSICAL CRAP?

WHAT FACTS DO YOU BASE MOTIVATION of the ATC controller on?

AND WHAT POSITION ARE YOU IN TO TELL HOW MUCH HELP WAS GIVEN. DID YOU
TALK TO THE PILOT FIRST HAND OR ARE YOU TALKING OUT OF YOUR HEAD.

Oh BTW, comforting voice from ATC is A TON of help in the real world
of FLYING. I talk from first hand experience!!!!!!!

DON'T believe me???? See http://discussions.flightaware.com/v...?p=34158#34158

YOU WILL NEVER KNOW THIS IN MSFS.