"Out of fuel, out of hope: 'Help, I'm in the water'"

Old April 29th 05, 08:27 PM
Peter R.

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

The distance between Hamilton and Watertown is 580 miles via
direct. A course north of Lake Erie and south of Lake Michigan would add
about 70 miles, a course south of both lakes would add about 80 miles.

In addition to the extra 80nm, the last leg northwest direct to Watertown
would require flying over or through Chicago O'Hare's class B airspace.

Could be intimidating for some.

--
Peter

Old April 29th 05, 08:43 PM
Montblack

("Matt Barrow" wrote)
[snip]
If that turbulence had not awakened my, I would have hit somewhere around
Blanca Peak at the 10,500 foot mark. Later, I plotted my poistion and
route
on the sections to set exactly what my situation had been. If not quite
there, Blanca Peak is surrounded by three other peaks that soar above the
14,000 foot mark. If had been more extreme, it might have caused and upset
that I could not have recoverd from coming out of a state of sleep.
Passibly, the sun in my eyes also kicked me a bit.

On the plus side, we would have had a lively discussion here on the
newsgroups as to what might have happened. g

Glad it worked out for you - understatement!

Have done something similar (years ago in a friend's Geo Metro) - heading
east into the morning sun after an all-night drive ...yawning ...then snow
piling up over the hood. I put it in the grass (deep snow) median between
freeway lanes on I-94 in Wisconsin. 500 more feet and I would have hit
something possibly unsurvivable.

Falling asleep and veering off the shoulder, to the right, would have been
very bad - steep bank. I "tobogganed" that Geo in at the only possible place
on that stretch of road where it wouldn't damage the car, or me. Tow truck
yanked it out and I continued my journey, WIDE AWAKE with a healthy shot of
....Doh!

Sometimes it seems as if luck has some added help, doesn't it?

Montblack

Old April 29th 05, 09:05 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Peter R." wrote in message

In addition to the extra 80nm, the last leg northwest direct to Watertown
would require flying over or through Chicago O'Hare's class B airspace.

Or under it, I believe the lowest shelf along the shoreline is 3000 MSL.

Could be intimidating for some.

But far less intimidating than a dip in the lake.

Old April 29th 05, 10:00 PM
Larry Dighera

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 18:38:01 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote in
et::

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
.. .

I thought it was fresh water, not salty.

It is. Were you under the impression that fresh water exists only as a
solid at 32F?

I am aware that super cooled water can remain in the liquid state a
few degrees below 32F.

Or are you referring to the agitation from wind keeping it liquid?

That's part of it. Another part of it is the way ice forms on lakes and how
much ice it takes to support how much weight.

Right. My comment was more of a tongue-in-cheek correction than a
lesson in physics. But I do appreciate your firsthand information.

What really puzzles me is your complete lack of comment on my views of
Ninja-1's decisions in the November 16, 2000 F-16/Cessna 172 MAC. Did
someone contact you with a warning about participating in that
discussion? Or is your reticence a result of your government
employment or something else?

Old April 29th 05, 10:27 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message

Right. My comment was more of a tongue-in-cheek correction than a
lesson in physics. But I do appreciate your firsthand information.

I don't think you're in a position to be teaching any physics!

What really puzzles me is your complete lack of comment on my views of
Ninja-1's decisions in the November 16, 2000 F-16/Cessna 172 MAC. Did
someone contact you with a warning about participating in that
discussion? Or is your reticence a result of your government
employment or something else?

I thought I made my position on that episode quite clear.

Old April 29th 05, 10:37 PM
Larry Dighera

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 21:27:27 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote in
. net::

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
.. .

Right. My comment was more of a tongue-in-cheek correction than a
lesson in physics. But I do appreciate your firsthand information.

I don't think you're in a position to be teaching any physics!

Why?

What really puzzles me is your complete lack of comment on my views of
Ninja-1's decisions in the November 16, 2000 F-16/Cessna 172 MAC. Did
someone contact you with a warning about participating in that
discussion? Or is your reticence a result of your government
employment or something else?

I thought I made my position on that episode quite clear.

Perhaps I missed your article that contained your position. Are you
able to provide the Message-ID number of it?

Old April 29th 05, 10:45 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message

Why?

Because your message showed a poor understanding of it.

Perhaps I missed your article that contained your position. Are you
able to provide the Message-ID number of it?

I don't think you missed them, as I recall you responded to them.

Old April 29th 05, 11:10 PM
Jon Kraus

Sounds like the grace of God to me... Well placed bit of turbulence my
ass.... Somone was looking out for you...

Jon Kraus
'79 Mooney 201

Gene Seibel wrote:
That's one I haven't done. Came close to sleeping when Sue was flying
the other day, but even that is difficult for me. That well placed bit
of turbulence was certainly a good thing for you.
--
Gene Seibel
Tales of Flight - http://pad39a.com/gene/tales.html

Old April 30th 05, 12:55 AM
Gene Seibel

Certainly a leading candidate in my book for who placed it there.
--
Gene Seibel
Gene & Sue's Aeroplanes - http://pad39a.com/gene/planes.html

Old April 30th 05, 02:32 AM
George Patterson

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

A course north of Lake Erie and south of Lake Michigan would add
about 70 miles, a course south of both lakes would add about 80 miles.

Weather considerations perhaps? I remember crossing the lake twice because the
area around Chicago was IMC with T-storms for a week.

George Patterson
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures. Right next to the
mashed potatoes.