Powersonic "Smart Battery" tested

Old September 11th 20, 05:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

Default Powersonic "Smart Battery" tested

On 9/10/20 4:20 PM, 2G wrote:
For sure, Powersync has nothing to do with PowerSonic. More likely, the name was chosen to confuse buyers into jumping to that conclusion. There are reputable LFP battery manufacturers out there, so there is no good reason to buy this.

Had to chuckle on this one. Ever wonder where the strange PowerSonic
name came from? It's shockingly similar to Panasonic, which actually
makes quality SLA batteries. I hope PowerSonic makes better lithium
batteries than their SLA batteries.

Old September 11th 20, 05:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

On Wednesday, 9 September 2020 at 20:42:21 UTC+3, jfitch wrote:
On Wednesday, September 9, 2020 at 12:43:31 AM UTC-7, krasw wrote:
This is just fantastic idea. What I would like to have is a bluetooth/processor chip unit that you mount on any battery (SLA, LFP, whatever), and then monitor all your batteries status via app. There is no reason to built it inside battery. Integrate fuse holder, quality connector and you have everything.

There are advantages to having it in the battery: it can report SOC per battery, the BMS is already there doing the measurements, and the cost is essentially free. However there is a device which does exactly what you want:

https://www.thornwave.com/collection...dc-power-meter

I also have one of these. One drawback is it must be powered to retain the history, so if you remove the battery from your glider you lose that history. Another advantage of having it in the battery. They are claiming to fix this in a future firmware release.

Thanks, this is just what I need!
Old September 12th 20, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Thursday, September 10, 2020 at 9:24:42 PM UTC-7, kinsell wrote:
On 9/10/20 4:20 PM, 2G wrote:
For sure, Powersync has nothing to do with PowerSonic. More likely, the name was chosen to confuse buyers into jumping to that conclusion. There are reputable LFP battery manufacturers out there, so there is no good reason to buy this.

Had to chuckle on this one. Ever wonder where the strange PowerSonic
name came from? It's shockingly similar to Panasonic, which actually
makes quality SLA batteries. I hope PowerSonic makes better lithium
batteries than their SLA batteries.

Well, if they do then you will be very pleased because I have used Powersonici SLA batteries in the past and have been satisfied with their performance.

Tom
Old September 12th 20, 07:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jay Campbell

Default Powersonic "Smart Battery" tested. I've been using PowerSonic nowfor about seven years. I purchase the 9AH version and, each off season, putthen thro

On 9/10/20 4:20 PM, 2G wrote:
For sure, Powersync has nothing to do with PowerSonic. More likely, the name was chosen to confuse buyers into jumping to that conclusion. There are reputable LFP battery manufacturers out there, so there is no good reason to buy this.

Had to chuckle on this one. Ever wonder where the strange PowerSonic
name came from? It's shockingly similar to Panasonic, which actually
makes quality SLA batteries. I hope PowerSonic makes better lithium
batteries than their SLA batteries.

Well, if they do then you will be very pleased because I have used Powersonici SLA batteries in the past and have been satisfied with their performance.

Tom

I've been using PowerSonic now for about eight years in several different aircraft, including club ships. I purchase the 9AH version and, each off season, put them through a load test and follow their performance that way on a yearly basis. Average life is 4 seasons with one getting 5, and one getting just 3. I keep them on a float charge whenever not in use. They may not have the fancy name or the high price, but they do do the job for me.
Jay
Old September 12th 20, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Reinholt

Panasonic quality is a thing of the past. I've purchased 2 SLA 12v 20ah bats in the past couple of years and, after testing each bat multiple times, neither were any better than some generic brand batteries that I've purchased and worse than others.

Regarding Panasonic as an American company here is a quote from Wikipedia.
Panasonic, then Matsu****a Electric, was founded in 1918 by Kōnosuke Matsu****a as a vendor of duplex lamp sockets. In the 1920s Matsu****a began regularly launching products. In 1927, he produced a line of bicycle lamps that were the first to be marketed with the National brand name.
Craig

Old September 12th 20, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

The nationality of battery manufacturers is complicated. Powersonic is really a trading company with little manufacturing capability. Up until the early 2000s, every Powersonic battery I purchased said "Made in Japan" on it. They were one of the best AGM batteries out there. In the early 2000s, the batteries changed to "Made in China" and I felt the quality degraded: shorter life and a few did not meet their specs when new. For the next couple of years I bought Panasonic batteries ("National" or Matsu****a in much of the world), then they too started coming "Made in China", and quality fell off. Same with Yuasa. Price pressure has forced them all to China, with similar results. Manufacturing in China is unlike what you might be used to in the USA or Japan in many ways large and small. I used to buy a lot of small AGMs to feed my large motorcycle collection so my sample size is relatively large. Currently the best AGM batteries are made by Lifeline here in the USA (part of Concorde, I think), but they do not make small sizes.

Nearly 100% of lithium cells are made in China, so you don't get much of a choice in country of origin. There are a range of qualities though, and the integrator that assembles them into a battery makes a difference. Powersonic was recently purchased by a venture or hedge fund group, often not a good thing, time will tell. The battery I just bought and tested seems to be a good product.

Old September 13th 20, 10:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, September 12, 2020 at 11:27:37 AM UTC-4, Craig Reinholt wrote:
[...]

No one said Panasonic was an American company. It’s Powersonic we’re talking about.
Old September 13th 20, 11:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, September 13, 2020 at 5:02:14 PM UTC-4, wrote:
No one said Panasonic was an American company. It’s Powersonic we’re talking about.

I'm looking around for a large LiFePO4 battery for a non-soaring use, and there are many companies offering such, but I saw that several of them that are in some sense US-based say that their cells come from China, because currently ALL LiFePO4 cells are made in China.
Old September 14th 20, 12:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Sunday, September 13, 2020 at 3:34:45 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Sunday, September 13, 2020 at 5:02:14 PM UTC-4, wrote:
No one said Panasonic was an American company. It’s Powersonic we’re talking about.

I'm looking around for a large LiFePO4 battery for a non-soaring use, and there are many companies offering such, but I saw that several of them that are in some sense US-based say that their cells come from China, because currently ALL LiFePO4 cells are made in China.

What do you mean by "large?"
Old September 14th 20, 04:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, September 13, 2020 at 7:50:17 PM UTC-4, 2G wrote:
On Sunday, September 13, 2020 at 3:34:45 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Sunday, September 13, 2020 at 5:02:14 PM UTC-4, wrote:
No one said Panasonic was an American company. It’s Powersonic we’re talking about.

I'm looking around for a large LiFePO4 battery for a non-soaring use, and there are many companies offering such, but I saw that several of them that are in some sense US-based say that their cells come from China, because currently ALL LiFePO4 cells are made in China.

What do you mean by "large?"

12.8V 200AH - any recommendations?