396/496 installation options.

Old December 13th 06, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default 396/496 installation options.

Our club is contemplating a 396 or 496 for each of our aircraft. It
would be more or less permanently mounted in the plane (Piper Archer
and Dakota). I've seen several yoke mounts, some panel/post type
mounts, the slick AirGizmo's avioincs stack mounts. Our panels are
fairly full and the preferred panel mount would necessitate mounting
the unit on the right hand avionics stack. This seems a bit far away
from the pilot both for readability and for reaching across to run the
gps. I see there are options to at least cant it toward the pilot for
better visibility but without bifocals the readability may still be in
doubt! One obvious objection to a yoke mount is the dangling wires
which we'd like to eliminate or at least minimize as much as possible.
Are there any really great ideas to limit this issue? Panel visiblity
over the gps is another as well as usability when its less than a
smooth day and the yoke is not 'stationary'. I've seen one mount on
the top of the glarshield as well and wondered about how much that
blocked the view and whether sunlight would wreak havoc on the lcd
display or what the heat of summer sun would do to the gps.

Anyway, if anyone could share their particular install, mounting
hardware used, preferred location, readability at a distance, etc. that
would be great. The best options I've seen are for Beechcraft yokes
but that's not an option on a Piper.

thanks,
matt.

Old December 13th 06, 08:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Marco Leon

Jay Honeck posted a link to a pic of his setup with the angled
AirGizmos dock but I can't find the post (Jay, can you post it again?).
I don't like the way the angled doc looks in the panel so I prematurely
decided I won't get it. I've since changed my mind when after receiving
my Garmin 496 last Monday, I noticed that the terrain detail quickly
disappears from view when viewing it from an angle. Oddly, other detail
like the airspace and route lines can still be seen.

The panel mount is probably the most clean and permanent in my opinion
and I'll be ordering the hardware after the holidays.

Marco

Old December 13th 06, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Burns[_1_]

If memory serves me, I think Mike Granby installed a yoke mounted 396 with a
KLN 90 & 94 interface/data converter. He ran the wires down the inside of
the yoke tube which cleaned things up considerably.
Jim

Old December 14th 06, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Jay Honeck posted a link to a pic of his setup with the angled
AirGizmos dock but I can't find the post (Jay, can you post it again?).

Sure! See: http://alexisparkinn.com/2006_airgizmo-xm_install.htm

It's fantastic. The more we fly with it, the more we like it -- and XM
radio is just wonderful to have on-board!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 14th 06, 03:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Chad Speer

Now, Matt - I told you. Go with the panel mount and hurry up with it.
I want my weather and music and I want it NOW!

Chad Speer (a happy member of Matt's flying club)
PP-ASEL, IA
ATCS, Kansas City ARTCC

Old December 15th 06, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Granby

Jim Burns wrote:
If memory serves me, I think Mike Granby installed a yoke mounted 396 with a
KLN 90 & 94 interface/data converter. He ran the wires down the inside of
the yoke tube which cleaned things up considerably.
Jim

I did indeed.

http://www.mikeg.net/old/plane/n8096...96/default.htm

Old December 15th 06, 09:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Burns[_1_]

Since our Aztec has no room for Mr. Gizmo, my brain keeps coming back to
your install every time I think about a 396/496.
jim

"Mike Granby" wrote in message
s.com...

US ELT Installation mhr Soaring 57 December 31st 05 07:39 PM
Options [email protected] Soaring 32 March 14th 05 05:33 PM
Skycraft Landing Light Installation Pix Jay Honeck Owning 5 February 6th 05 02:05 PM
Buying an L-2 Robert M. Gary Piloting 13 May 25th 04 04:03 AM
New Army Aviation Options? Thomas Schoene Military Aviation 22 February 29th 04 09:51 PM