SR-71

Old April 18th 10, 09:50 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Glenn[_2_]

Default SR-71

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SR71 copy.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	332.4 KB
ID:	42161
Old April 18th 10, 02:21 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dr.Smith

"Glenn" wrote in message

Great shot! What kind of camera and lens were you using?

Old April 18th 10, 10:01 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Morgans[_2_]

"Glenn" wrote in message

In this picture, a couple feet back on the chine on both sides, there is a
blunted, pushed in area on the chines. Almost looks like the nose ran into
a round hole in a wall, and dented the chines. Of course, I doubt that
happened.

What is the story with that? I had never noticed that on other models of
the 71. Is that damage, or a feature, and if it is a feature, what is it
designed to do - if you or someone knows?
--
Jim in NC

Old April 18th 10, 10:17 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Canuck[_9_]

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Glenn" wrote in message

In this picture, a couple feet back on the chine on both sides, there is a
blunted, pushed in area on the chines. Almost looks like the nose ran
into a round hole in a wall, and dented the chines. Of course, I doubt
that happened.

What is the story with that? I had never noticed that on other models of
the 71. Is that damage, or a feature, and if it is a feature, what is it
designed to do - if you or someone knows?
--
Jim in NC

The original aircraft from which the SR-71 sprang was the Lockheed A-11. It
then morphed into the YF-12. Finally, it became the SR-71. The A-11 and the
YF-12A sported a different nose/chine configuration than what you finally
got to see on the SR_71.

Nick

Old April 19th 10, 06:14 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Canuck[_9_]

"Maple1" wrote in message

Not that one it is an sr71 I believe that is a later modification

What is the story with that? I had never noticed that on other models
of the 71. Is that damage, or a feature, and if it is a feature, what
is it designed to do - if you or someone knows?
--
Jim in NC

The original aircraft from which the SR-71 sprang was the Lockheed A-11.
It then morphed into the YF-12. Finally, it became the SR-71. The A-11
and the YF-12A sported a different nose/chine configuration than what you
finally got to see on the SR_71.

Nick

Hmmmm....curious/strange. I went and had a look and you are right. My foggy
memory failed me. The A-11/YF-12A nosecones were different but not like what
is present in that image. It almost seems like an intermediate morph between
the A-11/YF-12A and the SR-71.

The other possibility is that someone bent it.

Nick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	YF-12A.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	42172
Old April 19th 10, 01:48 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Szalay

"Morgans" wrote in
:

"Glenn" wrote in message

In this picture, a couple feet back on the chine on both sides, there
is a blunted, pushed in area on the chines. Almost looks like the
nose ran into a round hole in a wall, and dented the chines. Of
course, I doubt that happened.

What is the story with that? I had never noticed that on other models
of the 71. Is that damage, or a feature, and if it is a feature, what
is it designed to do - if you or someone knows?

Those "dents" are the modification for the ECM antennas.
(Electronic counter measures)
Old April 19th 10, 02:00 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Szalay

"Canuck" wrote in

Hmmmm....curious/strange. I went and had a look and you are right. My
foggy memory failed me. The A-11/YF-12A nosecones were different but
not like what is present in that image. It almost seems like an
intermediate morph between the A-11/YF-12A and the SR-71.

The other possibility is that someone bent it.

Nick

Attachment decoded: YF-12A.jpg
------=_NextPart_000_0009_01CADF55.58129EF0--

This photo is the YF-12A and the chine mod is for the ASG-18 fire
control radar. to insure directional stability for the chine being cut
three small fins were added to the rear of the underside of the YF-12A
Old April 19th 10, 02:39 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Peter Twydell[_2_]

In message , John Szalay
writes
"Morgans" wrote in
:

"Glenn" wrote in message

In this picture, a couple feet back on the chine on both sides, there
is a blunted, pushed in area on the chines. Almost looks like the
nose ran into a round hole in a wall, and dented the chines. Of
course, I doubt that happened.

What is the story with that? I had never noticed that on other models
of the 71. Is that damage, or a feature, and if it is a feature, what
is it designed to do - if you or someone knows?

Those "dents" are the modification for the ECM antennas.
(Electronic counter measures)

I thought they were where the ground crew were supposed to push if the
brakes failed...
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
Old April 19th 10, 03:21 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dr.Smith

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Glenn" wrote in message

In this picture, a couple feet back on the chine on both sides, there is a
blunted, pushed in area on the chines. Almost looks like the nose ran
into
a round hole in a wall, and dented the chines. Of course, I doubt that
happened.

What is the story with that? I had never noticed that on other models of
the 71. Is that damage, or a feature, and if it is a feature, what is it
designed to do - if you or someone knows?
--
Jim in NC

I just dug this one out of an old file. The SR-71 at Barksdale AFB in
Louisiana has the same indentions.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0002.JPG