UK Glider pilot visiting Minnesota

Old April 12th 12, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Philpott

Default UK Glider pilot visiting Minnesota

Hi,

I'm a UK based glider pilot and I will be working in the northern
part of Minnesota in late April and for most of May.

I have a US airman's certificate for sailplanes as well as single
engine land planes.

Is there a gliding club in the northern part of Minnesota that
welcomes limeys?

Advice would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks,

Mike

Old April 12th 12, 07:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter von Tresckow

A good place to start is the SSA website and the soaring club locator.

http://ssa.org/sport/wheretofly.asp

Unfortunately there isn't much in far northern MN. The clubs in MN are all
around the Minneapoilis StPaul area.

Peter

. com...

Old April 12th 12, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Red Wing Soaring Association (http://www.rwsa.org/) is in Osceola, WI, on the Northeast side of the Minneapolis/St. Paul area, and is, as far as I know, the furthest north glider club in Minnesota. That said it is still in the southern third of the state. However when you get too much north of there there are a lot of trees and not a lot of fields. Some flights have been done to the north, as far north as Duluth, but there is still a lot of Minnesota north of there with even more trees and water and fewer fields.
Old April 12th 12, 08:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Philpott

Thanks Guys,

That's the part where I will be working, just a few miles south of
the Canadian border and well to the north of Duluth. I visited the
place last week and it is gorgeous and I fully agree about lakes
and trees.

Is there anywhere over the border in Ontario? I don't know how
my UK and US licenses would fare in Canada.

Maybe I'll try to sample some floatplane flying instead.

Mike

At 18:50 12 April 2012, Tony wrote:
On Thursday, April 12, 2012 1:21:00 PM UTC-5, Mike Philpott

wrote:
Hi,
=20
I'm a UK based glider pilot and I will be working in the

northern=20
part of Minnesota in late April and for most of May.
=20
I have a US airman's certificate for sailplanes as well as

single=20
engine land planes.=20
=20
Is there a gliding club in the northern part of Minnesota

that=20
welcomes limeys?
=20

Old April 12th 12, 09:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

SAC website (www.sac.ca) shows a club in Winnepeg but nothing anywhere near the Minnesota/Canada border. It's all trees and lakes on that side of the border too. Curious, are you a lumberjack or something?

I recall some posts about the Canadian nationals being flown by US pilots and getting the certificate converted wasn't too much trouble.

My wife spent a lot of time in that area, canoeing and guiding in the Boundary Waters just up the road from Grand Marais. She also did a few long canoe trips into Canada. It's beautiful for sure. I was amazed when we were paddling in the BWCA and could see the bottom of the lake! Not used to clean water down here in the middle of the country.

Bring warm clothes, no matter what the calendar says. I was there on July 10 and it was below freezing in the morning.

On Thursday, April 12, 2012 2:19:04 PM UTC-5, Mike Philpott wrote:
Thanks Guys,

That's the part where I will be working, just a few miles south of
the Canadian border and well to the north of Duluth. I visited the
place last week and it is gorgeous and I fully agree about lakes
and trees.

Is there anywhere over the border in Ontario? I don't know how
my UK and US licenses would fare in Canada.

Maybe I'll try to sample some floatplane flying instead.

Mike

At 18:50 12 April 2012, Tony wrote:
On Thursday, April 12, 2012 1:21:00 PM UTC-5, Mike Philpott

wrote:
Hi,
=20

Old April 12th 12, 10:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hagbard Celine

All the clubs in Ontario are in the eastern half of the province so
the Winnipeg club at Starbuck would be the closest. If you were to
make the trip up there to fly in Canada you shouldn't have any problem
using your U.K. qualifications. We've never had any difficulty with
visitors or new arrivals from Europe in my club transferring their
licenses to Canadian ones. Too bad that trying to do the reverse
(using U.S. or Canadian licenses to fly in Europe) in the near future
will be damn near impossible.

On Apr 12, 12:19*pm, Mike Philpott @ wrote:
Thanks Guys,

That's the part where I will be working, just a few miles south of
the Canadian border and well to the north of Duluth. I visited the
place last week and it is gorgeous and I fully agree about lakes
and trees.

Is there anywhere over the border in Ontario? I don't know how
my UK and US licenses would fare in Canada.

Maybe I'll try to sample some floatplane flying instead.

Mike

At 18:50 12 April 2012, Tony wrote:

On Thursday, April 12, 2012 1:21:00 PM UTC-5, Mike Philpott

wrote:
Hi,
=20

Old April 12th 12, 11:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Edward Lockhart[_4_]

At 20:07 12 April 2012, Tony wrote:
Curious, are you a lumberjack or something?

Just like his dear Papa.

Old April 13th 12, 02:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JC

There used to be a couple of gliders at the Bong Airport in Superior
Wisconsin, just east of Duluth. They had a k-21 and a 1-26. Not sure
if they are still there but is worth a call to the airport to find
out.

Old April 13th 12, 06:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Weiher

On Apr 12, 2:21*pm, Mike Philpott @ wrote:
Hi,

I'm a UK based glider pilot and I will be working in the northern
part of Minnesota in late April and for most of May.

I have a US airman's certificate for sailplanes as well as single
engine land planes.

Is there a gliding club in the northern part of Minnesota that
welcomes limeys?

Advice would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks,

Mike

I have a 1-26 in Thunder Bay, just across the border but alas our club
is no more. Winnipeg is a good 7 hours from here, Minneapolis would be
a little closer for you. As others have said, lots of forests in this
area, cross-country flying was really limited.

Tom
Old July 30th 12, 10:14 AM
Brian Thompson Brian Thompson is offline
Junior Member

Mr. Philpott,

I can't send you a private message on here..

The last time I saw you was in the cockpit of my DC10 in about 1995 landing in Orlando!!

A lot has happened since then.. now a 744 Captain with Cathay, living in HKG, house in France near CDG. Ever get over that way?

Have a look at www.abovetheoceans.com. I seem to recall you were flying at High Wycombe? We exhibited at Aero Expo there in 2009 and 10.. don't recall you visiting the stand?

I found a pic of you last night taken in 1977.. scary stuff.

All the best,

BT