Help please

Old April 2nd 10, 10:05 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Mike Mackenzie

Default Help please

The attached photo was sent to me by the curator of a local aviation
museum, requesting identification. Although it looks vaguely
familiar, I can't put a handle on it. Can anybody help?

--
Mike Mackenzie (AVCOM Services)
Brisbane, AUSTRALIA

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Instrument panel.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	41850
Old April 2nd 10, 04:02 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Szalay

Mike Mackenzie wrote in
:

The attached photo was sent to me by the curator of a local aviation
museum, requesting identification. Although it looks vaguely
familiar, I can't put a handle on it. Can anybody help?

given its size, shape and the selection of instruments, I tend to think
glider or sailplane, will have to check some on that..Hummmm!

Old April 2nd 10, 04:36 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Wayne Paul

"John Szalay" wrote in message 42...
Mike Mackenzie wrote in
:

The attached photo was sent to me by the curator of a local aviation
museum, requesting identification. Although it looks vaguely
familiar, I can't put a handle on it. Can anybody help?

given its size, shape and the selection of instruments, I tend to think
glider or sailplane, will have to check some on that..Hummmm!

I doubt that it is from a glider. The size and shape lead me initially to that conclusion; however, due to the Turn/Bank indicator; the speed scale on the air speed indicator; and, the rate of climb indicator is far to insensitive to be used as a variometer made me abandon the glider option. (It would be nice to know what instrument filled the empty hole.)

Here is a picture of my glider instruments which is a far cry from what was available 50+ years ago.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3121.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	484.0 KB
ID:	41851
Old April 2nd 10, 06:30 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Szalay

"Wayne Paul" wrote in
:

[...]

I looked at some photos of several aircraft from then, Spitfire,
Hurricane, P-51 ETC:
the subpanel that includes those instruments, are of different shapes.
the altimeter appears limited, and the speed is fairly low for later
fighters, still looking..

Old April 2nd 10, 07:39 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
D. St-Sanvain

Hello,

Mike Mackenzie a écrit :
The attached photo was sent to me by the curator of a local aviation
museum, requesting identification. Although it looks vaguely
familiar, I can't put a handle on it. Can anybody help?

The hexagonal shape reminds me this :
http://www.jrbassett.com/images/tnTFk3d0.JPG
Any link ? However, I'm not 100% sure...

Bye

--
Bye,

--
D520
Light aviation : http://tagazous.free.fr

Old April 2nd 10, 08:39 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Peter Twydell[_2_]

In message , Mike Mackenzie
writes
The attached photo was sent to me by the curator of a local aviation
museum, requesting identification. Although it looks vaguely
familiar, I can't put a handle on it. Can anybody help?

It' looks like a standard RAF Basic Six panel, with the artificial
horizon missing and the directional gyro looking a bit sad. It's rather
small, the ASI shows lowish top speed and the altimeter seems to have
only one pointer.
Shouldn't the turn and bank indicator be at the bottom right?

So, something British, smallish and not too fast. Not a Tiger Moth, not
a Chipmunk. That's about all I can think of at the moment.
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
Old April 2nd 10, 08:55 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Szalay

"Wayne Paul" wrote in
:

glider or sailplane, will have to check some on that..Hummmm!

I doubt that it is from a glider. The size and shape lead me
initially to that conclusion;

Due to the layout, its appears to be a Blind Flying panel
however the shape of the panel and the maxspeed only being 300
with anything over 200 divided. and max alt 20K
puzzling..
Old April 3rd 10, 01:28 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Mike Mackenzie

Mike Mackenzie wrote (in part):

The attached photo was sent to me by the curator of a local aviation
museum, requesting identification. Although it looks vaguely
familiar, I can't put a handle on it. Can anybody help?

Thanks for your responses. I think we would have to agree that it is
not a glider, or a relatively high performance fighter type of that
era, or a chopper (wrong instruments). Also I think it would have to
be single pilot and probably single engine. I know it is not a Link
Trainer - were there any other "simulators" around then?

If we can't solve this in the next day or two I'll see if they know
what the other instrument is. I doubt that it would be an A/H,
otherwise there should be a DG and a better altimeter. That centre
instrument looks like a magnetic compass to me.

Some further information from the museum, which doesn't help much. The
instruments are of American manufacture and they were last overhauled
by Kingsford Smith Aviation, Bankstown (Sydney, NSW) in 1969.