A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Reading RAS on an Android Phone Problems

Old August 26th 20, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net
external usenet poster

Default Reading RAS on an Android Phone Problems

I get a daily digest email from http://groups.google.com of the latest RAS articles. Sometimes I read RAS on a windows computer but often I read on my Android phone (Pixel 3 running Android 10).

Very recently I find that while I can read RAS articles (and other Google Groups) on my Android but I cannot reply to an existing article or start a new topic. The option just doesn't seem to exist.

This happens when using Chrome or Firefox but it is ok with the Dolphin browser. It appears to me that Chrome/Firefox are using the new Google Groups interface while the Dolphin browser is still using the old interface.

You would think that reading a Google group (albeit a usenet group) on the latest Google Android OS would be a great experience. Not so much. Anyone else seeing this issue?

Again, on Windows (using either the new or old interface) allows replies and adding a new topic. The only issue I see is that old interface allows "reply privately to author" while the new interface does not (greyed out). Windows browsing allows the user to change back/forth between the interfaces ... at least only for the time being it seems.

Please don't suggest me to;

- use another usenet news reader app. I prefer reading all my groups in a browser.
- buy an iPhone instead.
- stop babbling about my complaints!

Thanks!

- John
Old August 26th 20, 06:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell
external usenet poster

On 8/26/20 10:22 AM, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:

Again, on Windows (using either the new or old interface) allows replies and adding a new topic. The only issue I see is that old interface allows "reply privately to author" while the new interface does not (greyed out).

Firefox on a Linux PC greys out the private reply for me because "you
must configure your browser to handle mail-to links". Not an issue for
me because I generally use a real mail reader.
Old August 26th 20, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

How about "Quit using a cell phone like a teenage girl"? Since that
wasn't one of your options, I thought I'd help out! :-D

On 8/26/2020 10:22 AM, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net
wrote:
I get a daily digest email from http://groups.google.com of the latest RAS articles. Sometimes I read RAS on a windows computer but often I read on my Android phone (Pixel 3 running Android 10).

Very recently I find that while I can read RAS articles (and other Google Groups) on my Android but I cannot reply to an existing article or start a new topic. The option just doesn't seem to exist.

This happens when using Chrome or Firefox but it is ok with the Dolphin browser. It appears to me that Chrome/Firefox are using the new Google Groups interface while the Dolphin browser is still using the old interface.

You would think that reading a Google group (albeit a usenet group) on the latest Google Android OS would be a great experience. Not so much. Anyone else seeing this issue?

Again, on Windows (using either the new or old interface) allows replies and adding a new topic. The only issue I see is that old interface allows "reply privately to author" while the new interface does not (greyed out). Windows browsing allows the user to change back/forth between the interfaces ... at least only for the time being it seems.

Please don't suggest me to;

- use another usenet news reader app. I prefer reading all my groups in a browser.
- buy an iPhone instead.
- stop babbling about my complaints!

Thanks!

- John

--
Dan, 5J
Old August 26th 20, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, August 26, 2020 at 1:22:20 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
How about "Quit using a cell phone like a teenage girl"? Since that
wasn't one of your options, I thought I'd help out! :-D

--
Dan, 5J

Dan - Whose the comedian here? Me or you? ;-)
Old August 26th 20, 11:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh
external usenet poster

It's pretty crappy, minimally usable, on a Nexus 7 2013.
Old August 26th 20, 11:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

My Nexus 7 2012 was simply awful, like watching paint dry, until I
rooted it and installed the SlimKat ROM.Â* Now it's a screamer.Â* Too bad
it doesn't have a sunlight readable screen...

On 8/26/2020 4:26 PM, George Haeh wrote:
It's pretty crappy, minimally usable, on a Nexus 7 2013.

--
Dan, 5J
Old August 27th 20, 12:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
external usenet poster

A partial workaround was sent to me by Doug T (W24).

While reading an article I can then turn the display sideways into landscape mode at which point the options to Reply All, Forward and a greyed-out Reply-to-Author show up. Hurrah!

In the home screen no matter which-a-way I turn the display I cannot see an option to start a new article.
Old August 27th 20, 12:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug Tarmichael
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, August 26, 2020 at 6:02:29 PM UTC-5, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
A partial workaround was sent to me by Doug T (W24).

While reading an article I can then turn the display sideways into landscape mode at which point the options to Reply All, Forward and a greyed-out Reply-to-Author show up. Hurrah!

In the home screen no matter which-a-way I turn the display I cannot see an option to start a new article.

If you go to the top right of the screen there are three verticle dots. Tap it and select desk top site and you may reply from the vertical orientation. I notice from the list view of topics there is a button to "Join Group" even though I am logged in to Google and I may reply here. I dunno whats up with that.

Doug
W24
Old August 27th 20, 03:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh
external usenet poster

I'm using the last official LineageOS for N7 2013 and working up courage to repartition for a later release.
Old August 27th 20, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cliff Hilty[_5_]
external usenet poster

Yes Im seeing the same thing and the turn sidways works for replying to all, but doesnt allow a reply to author. I miss that feature. Getting a new phone soon will see how that works

n Wednesday, August 26, 2020 at 8:51:05 PM UTC-6, wrote:
I'm using the last official LineageOS for N7 2013 and working up courage to repartition for a later release.