airplane hangars

Old October 19th 03, 12:52 PM
red12049

Thanks for the memories..... when I lived up that way, the "maintenance
shop" was an outdoor storage shed that they stuck the nose into.... The
FBO's office was an old mobile home, and they had just put up the first of
new hangars when I was leaving the area, before that, there were none.
Marlboro was a pretty little field, shame they gave in.... Flew a few times
out of Colts Neck.....was a mud bog every time it rained..... only time I
ever saw a C-150 stuck in the mud.....by an instructor no less..... Haven't
been up there in years.... used to live in South Amboy.... how are things
up that way now?

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

red12049 wrote:

If thats' Old Bridge, NJ, I used to live up that way and got my ticket
there...

Yep, that's where I am now. They've added hangars recently, with more

under
construction. The maintenance shop is gone, and the place is pretty full

since
Marlboro closed. Two training schools there, though.

George Patterson
To a pilot, altitude is like money - it is possible that having too

much
could prove embarassing, but having too little is always fatal.

Old October 19th 03, 03:38 PM
G.R. Patterson III

red12049 wrote:

Thanks for the memories..... when I lived up that way, the "maintenance
shop" was an outdoor storage shed that they stuck the nose into.... The
FBO's office was an old mobile home, and they had just put up the first of
new hangars when I was leaving the area, before that, there were none.

They have six or seven sets of T-hangars, each with 8 hangars. One more set is
being constructed. They have a three story derelict building that looks like
a control tower and was supposed to eventually become a restaurant. There are
also two hangars large enough to comfortably hold the biggest light twin Cessna
makes. One of those used to be the maintenance shop. The office and an attached
medium sized hangar are near the fuel pump, more or less in the center of the
field. I hear they have plans for expanding into an area now used for parking
the remains of cars crushed during shows at the dragstrip.

Business at the maintenance shop was so good that the shop was always full with
at least six planes being worked on outside. The shop owner wanted to expand
into the other large hangar, which is being used by the airport manager. The
airport manager wanted to put another twin into the maintenance shop. Guess who
won?

What with Marlboro closing, all of the tiedowns near the office that used to be
available for transients now have permanent tenants, and they've sunk tiedown
rings in the turnaround at the west end of the runway. It's pretty packed. The
owners haven't raised prices, however.

Marlboro was a pretty little field, shame they gave in.... Flew a few times
out of Colts Neck.....

Colts Neck hasn't been on a sectional in at least three years. I wouldn't even
know where to look for it. Marlboro's still there but Xed out. The way the
McMansions are going up across the road, though, it won't be long before they
plow it under.

used to live in South Amboy.... how are things
up that way now?

I don't really know the area that well - I live in Middletown. Things are pretty
depressed with the collapse in the Telecom area. The major players in that are
still laying off at times, but not as badly as 2002. My former employer is about
half the size it once was - that alone put about 4,000 people out of work. The
Times ran an article a couple weeks back entitled "Want a Job? Start Packing.",
so it doesn't look encouraging in the near future. On the plus side, there's
been an increase in the service area. Lots of people have decided to fix up
their current homes rather than move. I'm building up a home repair service
myself.

Old October 22nd 03, 11:13 AM
red12049

George,

Glad to hear that you are recovering, and hope that all goes well. BTW, Old
Bridge used to have a lake for float planes. When New Jersey basically
outlawed landing them, it was used as a practice area for exhibition water
skiers. Is it still there or have they filled it in?

Old October 22nd 03, 04:04 PM
G.R. Patterson III

red12049 wrote:

Glad to hear that you are recovering, and hope that all goes well. BTW, Old
Bridge used to have a lake for float planes. When New Jersey basically
outlawed landing them, it was used as a practice area for exhibition water
skiers. Is it still there or have they filled it in?

At least part of it is still there, and I see skiers on it occasionally. I can't
imagine anyone landing a float plane on it, though, so it's probably smaller
than it used to be. Last time I was out at the airport, someone told me they
have plans to fill it in, but I have no idea whether the speaker actually knows
anything.