Tire Size for 8 Year Old Komet Trailer

Old October 23rd 08, 08:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

Default Tire Size for 8 Year Old Komet Trailer

Hey gang,

I'm replacing my tires on my Komet "Euro Lite" circa 2000 trailer. I
wrote down the size on the sidewall as 85/65 R14 86T.
Unfortunately, my tire guy is telling me there's no such thing as this
size and suggested it's 185/65. However, nobody makes a trailer tire
in that size.

Anybody know for sure what's OEM on this trailer? My trailer is not
easily accesible, and I really want to get the tires ordered so I can
turn this around ASAP.

Thanks,
P3
Old October 23rd 08, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BB

On Oct 23, 2:34*pm, Papa3 wrote:
Hey gang,

I'm replacing my tires on my Komet "Euro Lite" circa 2000 trailer. *I
wrote down the size on the sidewall as 85/65 R14 86T.
Unfortunately, my tire guy is telling me there's no such thing as this
size and suggested it's 185/65. * However, nobody makes a trailer tire
in that size.

Anybody know for sure what's OEM on this trailer? * My trailer is not
easily accesible, and I really want to get the tires ordered so I can
turn this around ASAP.

Thanks,
P3

I just went through this with my 2002 cobra. Undoubtedly it is 185,
not 85. The OEM tires on my trailer, like yours, are car tires not
"trailer tires", and an unusual size which most stores don't carry in
stock. The choice is to put the wrong size trailer tires on, or the
original size car tires. The catch: many big tire stores won't mount
car tires on a trailer. I ordered my original-size "car" tires from
tirerack.com (which has every size you could imagine), and then a shop
right next to the airport was happy to install them.

John Cochrane BB
Old October 23rd 08, 09:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

On Oct 23, 3:41*pm, BB wrote:
On Oct 23, 2:34*pm, Papa3 wrote:

[...]

Thanks - my tire guy and I had just about concluded the same.

P3
Old October 23rd 08, 10:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Oct 23, 12:34*pm, Papa3 wrote:
Hey gang,

I'm replacing my tires on my Komet "Euro Lite" circa 2000 trailer. *I
wrote down the size on the sidewall as 85/65 R14 86T.
Unfortunately, my tire guy is telling me there's no such thing as this
size and suggested it's 185/65. * However, nobody makes a trailer tire
in that size.

That's gotta be 185/65-14. That tire size breaks down so:

185 = tire width in mm; 185mm = 7.28"

65 = aspect, the section height in % of width. 185*.65 = section
height of 120mm or 4.73"

14 = rim diameter in inches. Rims are measured to the inner diameter
of the matching tire.

For the tire at hand, the outside diameter would be 2 * (185mm * .65)
+ 14" = 596mm or 23.46".

Thanks, Bob K.

Old October 24th 08, 12:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

On Oct 23, 5:13*pm, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
On Oct 23, 12:34*pm, Papa3 wrote:

Hey gang,

I'm replacing my tires on my Komet "Euro Lite" circa 2000 trailer. *I
wrote down the size on the sidewall as 85/65 R14 86T.
Unfortunately, my tire guy is telling me there's no such thing as this
size and suggested it's 185/65. * However, nobody makes a trailer tire
in that size.

That's gotta be 185/65-14. That tire size breaks down so:

185 = tire width in mm; 185mm = 7.28"

65 = aspect, the section height in % of width. 185*.65 = section
height of 120mm or 4.73"

14 = rim diameter in inches. Rims are measured to the inner diameter
of the matching tire.

For the tire at hand, the outside diameter would be 2 * (185mm * .65)
+ 14" = 596mm or 23.46".

Thanks, Bob K.

I took a tape measure to the trailer tires when I got home today and
came up with treads at 7.25 and wall height at 4.75 before reading
your post. As we say in the trades... close enough for horeshoes and
hand grenades.

Thanks for validating!

I have to assume this is the standard steel wheel from a low-end VW
(Polo) or Opel or somesuch.

P3

Old Komet Trailer thermalrider Soaring 7 October 11th 08 04:13 PM
Komet Trailer Gas Springs P. Corbett Soaring 4 March 11th 07 11:30 PM
Komet Trailer Rims Tim Hanke Soaring 6 February 28th 06 04:56 PM
KOMET Trailer Cradle [email protected] Soaring 3 September 27th 04 04:33 AM
Komet trailer strut John Shelton Soaring 5 November 15th 03 05:04 PM