Looking for LS7 Ballast/Trim Blocka

Old July 1st 11, 12:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WrongWay

Default Looking for LS7 Ballast/Trim Blocka

I recently purchased an LS7. On days when I eat only a light
breakfast, I'm awfully close to the lower limit of 165lbs for weight
and balance purposes.

There is a vertical post way forward near the nose that is set up to
accommodate a stack of 2.5kg / 6lb ballast/trim blocks, but these
unfortunately did not come with the ship. Does anyone know of a
source for these?

Thanks,

Jordan
Old July 2nd 11, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T[_2_]

On Jul 1, 4:25*am, WrongWay wrote:
I recently purchased an LS7. *On days when I eat only a light
breakfast, I'm awfully close to the lower limit of 165lbs for weight
and balance purposes.

There is a vertical post way forward near the nose that is set up to
accommodate a stack of 2.5kg / 6lb ballast/trim blocks, but these
unfortunately did not come with the ship. *Does anyone know of a
source for these?

Thanks,

Jordan

This sounds like the same set up in our LS4. Is there an LS4 nearby?
Try a test fit. Ours came with 3 blocks that stack on the single post.
The bottom block is shaped to fit the fuselage curves. You could find
some old tire weights to melt down, form a mold that fits and make
one. Be sure to mark the weight and make an annotation somewhere of
the custom ballast weight and CG effects.

Old July 2nd 11, 12:38 AM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongWay View Post
I recently purchased an LS7. On days when I eat only a light
breakfast, I'm awfully close to the lower limit of 165lbs for weight
and balance purposes.

There is a vertical post way forward near the nose that is set up to
accommodate a stack of 2.5kg / 6lb ballast/trim blocks, but these
unfortunately did not come with the ship. Does anyone know of a
source for these?

Thanks,

Jordan

In the event you can't find ballast/trim blocks I would suggest A BIGGER BREAKFAST. Try some pancakes, toast, biscuits, jelly, butter. Chow down man, this is America, home of the Whopper. Get with the program.

Walt
Old July 2nd 11, 05:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Jul 1, 4:25*am, WrongWay wrote:
I recently purchased an LS7. *On days when I eat only a light
breakfast, I'm awfully close to the lower limit of 165lbs for weight
and balance purposes.

There is a vertical post way forward near the nose that is set up to
accommodate a stack of 2.5kg / 6lb ballast/trim blocks, but these
unfortunately did not come with the ship. *Does anyone know of a
source for these?

Thanks,

Jordan

I've been flying an LS-7WL for a few weeks now, I am also right at the
lower limit also, in fact I have to wear a chute just to get there.

This CG loading gives superior climb performance. I flew almost 5
hours in the mountains yesterday for my first XC flight in this hip,
it is absolutely fantastic.

Brad
Old July 5th 11, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig[_2_]

On Jul 2, 9:50*am, Brad wrote:
On Jul 1, 4:25*am, WrongWay wrote:

I recently purchased an LS7. *On days when I eat only a light
breakfast, I'm awfully close to the lower limit of 165lbs for weight
and balance purposes.

There is a vertical post way forward near the nose that is set up to
accommodate a stack of 2.5kg / 6lb ballast/trim blocks, but these
unfortunately did not come with the ship. *Does anyone know of a
source for these?

Thanks,

Jordan

I've been flying an LS-7WL for a few weeks now, I am also right at the
lower limit also, in fact I have to wear a chute just to get there.

This CG loading gives superior climb performance. I flew almost 5
hours in the mountains yesterday for my first XC flight in this hip,
it is absolutely fantastic.

Brad

A good local hardware store or plumbing supply house should stock lead
sheet. I purchased a roll of 1/8" thick sheet and used snips to cut
the sheet to match a cardboard template. Sheets can be stacked on the
post and held in place with the nut. I ended up using double stick
carpet tape to keep them lined up. Much easier and safer than melting
lead.

Best regards,
Craig

Weight and balance, ballast, trim when flying alone Mxsmanic Piloting 158 January 20th 08 10:33 PM
How much do you trim? Mxsmanic Piloting 89 October 13th 06 05:14 AM
Electric Trim Jon Woellhaf Piloting 3 October 4th 05 02:31 PM
LS4 trim bagmaker Soaring 1 September 10th 05 03:00 PM
trim tab help Robert Loer Home Built 0 March 29th 04 08:30 AM