Rodent proofing CG Hook

Old March 1st 19, 09:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Munk

Default Rodent proofing CG Hook

At 02:42 28 February 2019, George Haeh wrote:
The club Grob had copious evidence of rodent infestation

Might be an idea to check the aircraft out for damage, if not already done
so. Had a Twin Astir one day that had all the foam supports for the rudder
control rods gnawed away, leaving only the nylon guides dangling from the
rod. Nasty repair, too.

Old March 1st 19, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rudolph stutzmann

On Friday, March 1, 2019 at 3:45:05 AM UTC-5, Eric Munk wrote:
At 02:42 28 February 2019, George Haeh wrote:
The club Grob had copious evidence of rodent infestation

Might be an idea to check the aircraft out for damage, if not already done
so. Had a Twin Astir one day that had all the foam supports for the rudder
control rods gnawed away, leaving only the nylon guides dangling from the
rod. Nasty repair, too.

I've always used moth balls, never had a problem. Usually put them in place middle/end of November and remove in end of march/early april. When removed, they still have a strong smell. I usually place a packet of them on the seat, near the rudder pedals, where the wing spars go in the fuselage, in the front of the trailer/wing root area and under the rudder; this seems to cover the obvious entry points and I've never had an issues with rodents to date. The odor goes away within a few days of removing them and it's never been so strong that it's bothersome for the first flight of the year, assuming you can keep a vent open. I've never tried the scented dryer sheets, but may do so next year?
Old March 2nd 19, 12:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Thursday, February 28, 2019 at 8:12:35 AM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
Dryer sheets are also excellent for removing dried on bugs.Â* I learned
that from a motorcycle news group.Â* I tried it and it works quite well;
simply wet the dryer sheet and wipe off the bugs.

On 2/27/2019 8:41 PM, wrote:
+1 on the dryer sheets.

A Google search a few years ago turned up the dryer sheet tip so I figured, what the heck and gave it a try. I scatter 8 to 10 dryer sheets over the floor of my trailer and put several more in the cockpit and haven't seen a mouse since. The sheets seem to last about a year before they need to be replaced.

On Wednesday, February 27, 2019 at 9:19:15 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Got a friend that always stuffed anti-static dryer sheets in all of the "orifices" when putting the glider away. He claimed the smell was an effective rodent deterrent. Can't say that it worked, but he kept doing it. (ps.. Right now my glider is hanging 12 feet off the floor in my hangar. Also a good rodent deterrent.)

--
Dan, 5J

Curiously enough, dryer sheets are bad for things are supposed to dry: Dryer sheets also make fabrics less absorbent and should not be used with towels and sheets as they coat the fabric. If you think your towels are not drying very well, wash them a few times in hot water (and no dryer sheets) and you will see the difference.
Old March 7th 19, 06:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
john firth

On Wednesday, February 27, 2019 at 9:42:30 PM UTC-5, George Haeh wrote:
The club Grob had copious evidence of rodent infestation and we found that the CG hook opening offers a wide passage. We cut out a piece of aluminum, glued a stack of disk magnets to hold it to the tow hook inside the cage and put on a drawer pull. Also taped inside to protect the finish. Will add some flagging tape so we can find if somebody forgets to remove before towing to runway.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UugfLA5Dopg1Ebn88

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eDKQaFX4E9hHVRuT6

Make cover out of a plastic ladle with internal loop;
pull the release, engage the loop, lock the cover over the release.
JMF
Old March 7th 19, 08:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pete Smith[_4_]

Dan Marotta wrote:
Dryer sheets are also excellent for removing dried

on bugs.=C2=A0 I
learn=
ed=20
that from a motorcycle news group.=C2=A0 I tried it

and it works quite
we=
ll;=20
simply wet the dryer sheet and wipe off the bugs.
=20
On 2/27/2019 8:41 PM,

=

wrote:
[...]

Wire wool works every oriface

Compare/Contrast: CG hook on aerotow vs. CG hook on winch son_of_flubber Soaring 37 June 4th 12 10:40 PM
Rodent Deterrent, Part Deux rlovinggood Soaring 3 January 28th 08 03:41 PM
Rodent Deterrent? rlovinggood Soaring 20 January 7th 08 06:22 AM
Corrosion Proofing Clay Owning 7 April 22nd 05 12:03 AM
Corrosion Proofing Clay Restoration 0 April 18th 05 04:22 AM