1981 Cobra trailer gas struts

Old December 13th 19, 01:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Cleveland

Default 1981 Cobra trailer gas struts

I have a 1981 Cobra trailer designed for a single seat glider. The trailer design is of the type that has the struts located on the outside of the trailer, with an aluminum top. I am looking to replace the gas struts.

I have contacted Wings and Wheels. They have been very helpful, but they do not carry the struts for this design. They also mentioned that Spindelberger/Cobra do not carry the item.

I am looking for two things. My struts were painted in the past, so I am unable to get the read the strength of the strut. I am also looking for a recommendation for replacement or refurbish.

Thanks

David Cleveland
Salt Lake City
Old December 13th 19, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

If you message the factory (Agnes Spindelberger whose e-mail contact info is at https://www.cobratrailer.com/?page_id=1227&lang=en ) with your trailer serial number they will probably be able to help you. They usually go to the SSA Convention (very interesting demos of setting the brakes correctly if you ask) and have brought things like replacement struts with them in the past (there is a 2016 thread where they did that) if you (or a club member) is going. If not, the Euro is down and shipping is relatively cheap.

Old December 13th 19, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Friday, December 13, 2019 at 4:54:33 AM UTC-8, David Cleveland wrote:
I have a 1981 Cobra trailer designed for a single seat glider. The trailer design is of the type that has the struts located on the outside of the trailer, with an aluminum top. I am looking to replace the gas struts.

I have contacted Wings and Wheels. They have been very helpful, but they do not carry the struts for this design. They also mentioned that Spindelberger/Cobra do not carry the item.

I am looking for two things. My struts were painted in the past, so I am unable to get the read the strength of the strut. I am also looking for a recommendation for replacement or refurbish.

Thanks

David Cleveland
Salt Lake City

To me replacement seems easiest.
Open the trailer once with bad struts, close it with good ones the same day.
Do it with the assistance of a hoist if possible. It's easier to access everything and generally less unnerving if the glider is out.
Believe Ralf is the parts contact, but yes, Alfred and Agnes can bring some small parts to the convention. They are a pleasure to deal with.
rdiestertich cobratrailer com
Jim
Old December 14th 19, 01:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

Dave
Theres a guy in Canada " Strutwise" who rebuilds your struts at a resonable cost. and quick turnaround.
Google it and you can call him.
Good Luck

Old December 14th 19, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dennis Vreeken

Just an FYI on strut wise. He is not well and it took a year to get something done . It also ended up wrong as well . YMMV.
Old December 14th 19, 02:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Friday, December 13, 2019 at 4:54:33 AM UTC-8, David Cleveland wrote:
I have a 1981 Cobra trailer designed for a single seat glider. The trailer design is of the type that has the struts located on the outside of the trailer, with an aluminum top. I am looking to replace the gas struts.

I have contacted Wings and Wheels. They have been very helpful, but they do not carry the struts for this design. They also mentioned that Spindelberger/Cobra do not carry the item.

I am looking for two things. My struts were painted in the past, so I am unable to get the read the strength of the strut. I am also looking for a recommendation for replacement or refurbish.

Thanks

David Cleveland
Salt Lake City

Dave,

https://www.industrialgassprings.com/

Give me a call

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old December 14th 19, 03:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Here is another possible source:
https://store.easylift.com/gas-springs/

Old December 14th 19, 05:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Cleveland

On Friday, December 13, 2019 at 7:44:41 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Here is another possible source:
https://store.easylift.com/gas-springs/

Great response guys. Thanks.

So, as for response;

Nick: Thanks for the Strutwise lead. I've got a friend of mine here in Salt Lake that confirmed his illness. Too bad. I'll reach out just in case.

Richard: I'll give you a call tomorrow. Thanks.

Jim: I hadn't heard of Easylift. I'll reach out to them on Monday.

I've got a query in with Ralf at Spindelberger, as well as the folks at Wings and Wheels. We'll see what turns up. The last word I received was that Spindelberger records for 1981 are a bit sketchy.

The one remaining issue is that I don't know the original strength of the strut. I know that the design that places the strut inside the trailer calls for a gas strut strength of 900N. The folks at Wings and Wheels said the exterior strut design strength may be 760N.

Mine still work, but on a cold day it's a real heft to get the upper clamshell open. I'd hate to replace the struts and then end up with the same situation if the strength is too low.
Old December 14th 19, 12:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dennis Cavagnaro

Hi Dave...I have the same trailer and replaced mine with 1100N from Williams and they work fine. I couldn’t locate the 900Ns . One strut was broken so i couldn’t wait to locate the 900n.

DC
Old December 14th 19, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Or have the opposite condition.

I met Tom Bjork on a typically windy Moriarty day when I noticed him
dangling from the lid of his Cobra.Â* I ran to his aid and, together, we
got the top down.Â* It started a great friendship...

--
Dan, 5J