Rodent Deterrent?

Old January 6th 08, 02:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sarah Anderson[_2_]

Default Rodent Deterrent?

rlovinggood wrote:

Wish I could live where the trailer could stay inside a nice building
and my wife's pets could keep the unwanted critters at bay. But it
stays tied down outside.

Wish I could live where the trailer could stay outside.

brrrrrr

Sarah
Old January 6th 08, 03:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vaughn Simon

"rlovinggood" wrote in message

Does anyone know a deterrent to rodents? How can I keep them out of
the trailer? The trailer stays parked outside, unfortunately.

I have repeatedly heard that fabric softener sheets are very effective at
repelling mice from enclosed spaces. Never tried it myself.

Would moth balls work if placed in both the trailer and the cockpit?

Moth balls seem to work against a broad range of rodents. I have twice used
them to get racoons out of attics. I put them in old socks, tie a cord to the
sock for retrieval, & toss them into the far reaches of the space. Unlike
fabric softener sheets, moth balls stink almost as bad as rodent urine.

Important question: Are moth ball fumes corrosive to metal parts or harmful
to plexiglass?

Vaughn

Thanks,

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

Old January 6th 08, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Todd

Be happy you are evicting the rodents on the ground. A number of
years ago I was happily flying along at 17,999 over the Collegiate
Range in central CO eating my ham & swiss sandwich when I felt
something crawling UNDER my leg. Seconds later that little bugger
crawled up on my leg. When he realized that he was about to get a
flying lesson (aero release out vent window) he popped back under my
leg and the seat cushion. I spent the next (seemed like hours) few
minutes feeling him squirm around under my butt.

My favorite anti-mouse solution is the Mouse Glue Board. Bate it up
with some peanut butter and tape it to a larger piece of cardboard.
Set it in you cockpit and wait to see what you get. The cardboard
keeps him from crapping all over your seat when he gets his front feet
stuck on the glue board. REMOVE MGB BEFORE FLIGHT!

Old January 6th 08, 06:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jan 5, 7:29*pm, rlovinggood wrote:
All,

Thanks for your inputs. *The trailer is a "Swan", which is a
clamshell, fiberglass top, trailer that looks a bit like an older
Cobra or Komet. *The only place I think they could get in is at the
rear where the top comes down on the tailgate. *Not sure if that is a
tight, i.e., smaller than a mouse, seal or not. *If that is the
opening, I'll have to see what can be done to make it tighter. *Don't
think hardware cloth is the answer in this case.

While I do enjoy the new trailer, I guess it has a fault: *It makes a
nice mouse home. *While my old trailer had several faults, I can't
blame it for attracting rodents. *Heck, it probably repelled them with
its sheer ugliness. *Since it wasn't very weather tight, with large
gaps between the rear (and only) door and the trailer frame, and could
have allowed LARGE critters in, I'm kind of surprised this never
happened when I had that trailer. *Guess it was too ugly outside and
too cold inside. *I guess the little furries didn't find it as
attractive as the nice new Swan.

Wish I could live where the trailer could stay inside a nice building
and my wife's pets could keep the unwanted critters at bay. *But it
stays tied down outside.

Thanks,

Ray

Probably the main reason they didn't get into your old trailer is
because you didn't leave food in the glider. Thats a sure fire mouse
invitation.

Park your empty trailer on some nice bright concrete on a sunny day
and get in and close it up. Then, just look around for all the light
leaks to find where the little *******s are getting in. A bright
spotlight inside on a dark night will work too. You might be
surprised when you really start looking. It only takes one tiny
opening and a reason and they will TRASH everything! Dont get me
started!

Is your old trailer available?

MM
Old January 6th 08, 09:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cats

On Jan 6, 12:10*am, Brad wrote:
Ray,

when you clean out Wolfgangs litter box, put a little bit of that
special stuff in a small tray and put it in the trailer.

snip

This is said to work for those of us with cats as well. But I agree
with the other poster, don't leave any food in the glider.
Old January 6th 08, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Learned about this from a handful of Minden pilots...
Buy a "Mole Chaser", which runs on 4 C- or D-cell batteries. Put it
in the cockpit and turn it on. It emits a noise every 20 or 30
seconds, which for some reason isn't liked by rodents.
These things are likely more expensive at your local nursery but on
Amazon for about $15.00 US.
I have gone so far as building the circuit board of a mole chaser
into a project box, incorporating a 5V regulator and an "Anderson
Powerpole" connector. Everything 12V of mine uses or has adapters to
Powerpoles, so any available battery, charger, solar panel or
combination can be hooked to it.
Have also used moth balls, but the smell isn't pleasant to people
either. Have needed to un-stick a mouse trap from my shoe. Haven't
tried cat or weasel deposits!
Yes. Of course I've flown with a mole chaser still running. Only
noticeable when flying slowly, which we know the fix for.
Jim
Old January 6th 08, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Whelan[_3_]

rlovinggood wrote:
All,

Thanks for your inputs... While my old trailer had several faults, I can't
blame it for attracting rodents. Heck, it probably repelled them with
its sheer ugliness. Since it wasn't very weather tight, with large
gaps between the rear (and only) door and the trailer frame, and could
have allowed LARGE critters in,

I'm kind of surprised this never
happened when I had that trailer...

Ray,

It almost certainly never happened because you never left food in the
trailer/cockpit, and, the trailer to overwinter unattended.

As others have already noted, food - absence of, really - is the key.
Mice aren't very bright, are nearsighted, and forage primarily for food.
Basically, they have Zero Incentive to go anywhere they don't have
reason to suspect food calls. Why would they waste energy exploring an
aerial desert (i.e. a glider trailer) - unless it's not really a desert?

If it's good for your soul to try and block all entrances, have at it,
but if you do only one thing to your glider/trailer...eliminate stored
food (including crumbs)!!!

Regards,
Bob - Mom's paid mousecatcher - W.
Old January 7th 08, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jan 6, 1:16*pm, Bob Whelan wrote:
rlovinggood wrote:
[...]

The problem is that mice will bring food along and store it in your
glider if you haven't already provided them with some. They have a
lot of spare time and can pile up some impressive stashes. They also
like protected spaces to build nests for raising families. Any
material that they can shred becomes nest. Build them OUT is the only
sure way.

I forgot to mention in my first post that live traps are pretty good
too; better than poison.

MM
Old January 7th 08, 03:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rlovinggood

Ok gang, first of all, the old trailer was sold about two years ago.
Oh, you can't imagine how happy I was, and remain, to move into the
new trailer, even if it is a "mickey mouse" trailer now...

Today, after completing the Annual Condition Inspection, I spent a few
hours with vacuum cleaner, compressed air hose, wash bucket and rags
and attacked both glider and glider trailer. I also cleaned out every
bit of scrap food that I could find. I'm sure I have the cleanest
trailer at our field right now. Probably can't say that I have the
cleanest glider because I just can't get in every nook and cranny and
it is 38 years old, plus or minus, now.

As to shredding for a nest, oh yea. I had several blue shop paper
towels in the cockpit and some had been shredded for nesting. I had
some foam padding up front of the trailer and the little bugger had
dug a nice little spot between the two sheets. Not sure why he went
to the trouble because it was the "egg crate" style stuff to start
with. Oh yea, there was a plastic grocery bag that was shredded. And
mouse "croutons" in many places.

A quick check of the electrics didn't find any problems. By "quick" I
mean I connected the battery and turned everything on and did a "radio
check".

Not yet have I done a pressure check (vacuum check) on the pnuematics,
but that will come when I can find a reasonable weather day (I'll be
working outside...)

At the end of the day, I placed a small plastic container in the rear
of the trailer. Inside are the miniature "Lincoln Logs" produced in
one day by my wife's pet ferret. After the trailer was closed up and
tied down, I almost forgot the fabric softener sheet. I meant to
place it in the cockpit, but in a rush to go, I just placed it inside
of the cargo door. So there's poop in the rear and fabric softener up
front. Oh yea, she's gonna smell nice when I open it up! :-)

Ray