ditching airbus flt 1549

Old January 22nd 09, 04:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Private

Default ditching airbus flt 1549

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123241485664396363.html

Happy landings,

Old January 22nd 09, 05:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Private" wrote in news:jHRdl.109710$4M4.29097
@newsfe02.iad:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123241485664396363.html

Fairly balanced article even if a bit innacurate . The RAT woudl have given
them enough even inf the APU had been U/S. With the APU running they had
nearly everything available to them Full electrics, except for maybe th
egallys, and almost all hydraulics, if a bit slow. Flight controls would
have been fine though.

Bertie
Old January 22nd 09, 02:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jan 21, 10:01*pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
"Private" wrote in news:jHRdl.109710$4M4.29097
@newsfe02.iad:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123241485664396363.html

Fairly balanced article even if a bit innacurate . The RAT woudl have given
them enough even inf the APU had been U/S. With the APU running they had
nearly everything available to them Full electrics, except for maybe th
egallys, and almost all hydraulics, if a bit slow. Flight controls would
have been fine though.

Bertie

I can almost see the 'bonus' round in the simulator now.

Same conditions only *bingo* a ferry adrift right where you want to
be. And perhaps a newsie copter tagging along covering the story.

If you get that one right, let's pop in some low ceilings and if
you're still alive you'll progress to the fog.

Bwahahahah!! "Test to destruction".
Old January 22nd 09, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

..
..

It has been nearly fifty years since I went to Boeing school, so please
forgive the misrememberances. As I recall, once the engines spool up and
take the load, the APU is shut down and once the aircraft has departed, the
squat switches have to be enabled to restart the APU. It cannot be started
airborne.

At least that is my memory. The reason I say that is that I was trying to
do some autopilot work for which I needed electrics and hydraulics and with
the airplane on jacks, I couldn't get the APU to fire up. Perhaps one of
the sparkies pulled a breaker somewhere so that I couldn't accidentally
activate the gear via the APU/electrics/hydraulics, but I also remember
something in school about it.

Jim

--
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it."

Old January 22nd 09, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Smith

RST Engineering wrote:

It has been nearly fifty years since I went to Boeing school, so please

squat switches have to be enabled to restart the APU. It cannot be started
airborne.

I hardly believe that the Boeing school of 50 years ago covered Airbus
systems.

Besides, I'd assume that a plane entrely flown by wire must provide
features which guarantee controllability even in the event of a complete
engine failure to get certified in the first place.
Old January 22nd 09, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

"John Smith" wrote in message
RST Engineering wrote:

It has been nearly fifty years since I went to Boeing school, so please

squat switches have to be enabled to restart the APU. It cannot be
started airborne.

I hardly believe that the Boeing school of 50 years ago covered Airbus
systems.

No, but it covered 727 systems and one might suspect that Boeing had a
reason to disable APU starts in midair. Engineering design generally builds
on successful designs in the past.

Besides, I'd assume that a plane entrely flown by wire must provide
features which guarantee controllability even in the event of a complete
engine failure to get certified in the first place.

Look up the etymology of the verb "assume" some day.

Jim

Old January 23rd 09, 01:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

wrote in
:

[...]

Well, i knew a guy who did stuff like that, but only if you were doing
ok with teh previous bit. He was qite good about it, really. It was
never meant to humiliate or as a ****ing contest, but only to show your
limitatons whilst simultaneously showing your strengths.
I always enjoyed a sim with him.

Bertie

Old January 23rd 09, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"RST Engineering" wrote in
m:

.
.

It has been nearly fifty years since I went to Boeing school, so
please forgive the misrememberances. As I recall, once the engines
spool up and take the load, the APU is shut down and once the aircraft
has departed, the squat switches have to be enabled to restart the
APU. It cannot be started airborne.

At least that is my memory. The reason I say that is that I was
trying to do some autopilot work for which I needed electrics and
hydraulics and with the airplane on jacks, I couldn't get the APU to
fire up. Perhaps one of the sparkies pulled a breaker somewhere so
that I couldn't accidentally activate the gear via the
APU/electrics/hydraulics, but I also remember something in school
about it.

You remember correctly, but only for the transversely mounted APUs in the
707 and 727. All those tail mounted APUs can be run throughout the flight
and sometimes are if, for instance, an engine driven genny is U/S. They can
be started in flight, even, and for Cat 3 landings they usually ae, though
this is usually not a requiement to do the Cat 3

Bertie
Old January 23rd 09, 02:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert Moore

Bertie the Bunyip wrote
You remember correctly, but only for the transversely mounted APUs in
the 707 and 727.

No APUs in 707s, but I have seen some private operators put a unit in
the forward cargo compartment that swung out and sat on the ground for
operation.

Bob Moore
Old January 23rd 09, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Robert Moore wrote in
5.250:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote
You remember correctly, but only for the transversely mounted APUs in
the 707 and 727.

No APUs in 707s, but I have seen some private operators put a unit in
the forward cargo compartment that swung out and sat on the ground for
operation.

OK, Seen a few that had them and was led to believe they had the same
installation as the 727.

Bertie