Errors accessing FAA's Pilotweb

Old January 31st 09, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Errors accessing FAA's Pilotweb

Is anyone else getting SSL security errors when trying to access the FAA Web
site's Pilotweb pages? I tried to look up TFRs today and got an error message
saying the certificate issuer was unknown. One URL that does this is:

https://pilotweb.nas.faa.gov/center.html
Old January 31st 09, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_6_]

Your difficulty accessing the pilot web site is probably related to the fact
that you're not a pilot. Not that it matters, but it looks like you got
around to paying your bill.

Old January 31st 09, 04:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Viperdoc wrote:
Your difficulty accessing the pilot web site is probably related to the fact
that you're not a pilot. Not that it matters, but it looks like you got
around to paying your bill.

It seems our computer (among other things) expert doesn't understand
that the US government doesn't pay money to the recognized signature
authorities.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old January 31st 09, 05:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.disasters.aviation.alt.usenet.kooks
Bertie the Bunyip[_28_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
news
Is anyone else getting SSL security errors when trying to access the
FAA Web site's Pilotweb pages?

Nope. prolly cuz I am a pilot and yuo are not.

Bertie
Old January 31st 09, 05:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jon

On Jan 30, 9:46*pm, "Viperdoc" wrote:
Your difficulty accessing the pilot web site is probably related to the fact
that you're not a pilot.

Technology can be difficult. Then again, it probably just a 'nut
behind the wheel error'

Works fine for this non-pilot:

---------
ARTCC Notices, TFRs and Special Notice Page

The following options will allow a user to extract Temporary Flight
Restrictions (TFRs) from the Flight Data Center (FDC) NOTAMs [...]
---------

[remainder of page snipped for brevity]

[..]

Regards,
Jon
Old January 31st 09, 02:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Viperdoc writes:

Your difficulty accessing the pilot web site is probably related to the fact
that you're not a pilot.

No, it's not that.
Old January 31st 09, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Apparently the certifying authority didn't provide a certificate for inclusion
in Firefox 3. I've been unable to locate the issuer of the certificate to get
a clean copy, but since my access to TFRs and NOTAMs is not a security issue,
I've just added the certificate to my list. It wasn't a problem with Firefox
2, so I assume previous versions had the certificate.
Old January 31st 09, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_6_]

"Mxsmanic" Apparently the certifying authority didn't provide a
certificate for inclusion
in Firefox 3. I've been unable to locate the issuer of the certificate to
get
a clean copy, but since my access to TFRs and NOTAMs is not a security
issue,
I've just added the certificate to my list. It wasn't a problem with
Firefox
2, so I assume previous versions had the certificate

Why would anyone actually give a **** about this? The world was better off
when you didn't pay your bill.

Old January 31st 09, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jan 30, 4:22*pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
Is anyone else getting SSL security errors when trying to access the FAA Web
site's Pilotweb pages? *I tried to look up TFRs today and got an error message
saying the certificate issuer was unknown. *One URL that does this is:

https://pilotweb.nas.faa.gov/center.html

I'm sorry, but that is just **too** funny!!! Why are you interested
in TFRs?

-Robert
Old January 31st 09, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Mxsmanic wrote:
Apparently the certifying authority didn't provide a certificate for inclusion
in Firefox 3. I've been unable to locate the issuer of the certificate to get
a clean copy, but since my access to TFRs and NOTAMs is not a security issue,
I've just added the certificate to my list. It wasn't a problem with Firefox
2, so I assume previous versions had the certificate.

If you were to have looked at the certificate, you would have found
that it was issued by USNS by the organizational unit NAIMES.

USNS is the United States NOTAM System.

NAIMES is the National Airspace System Aeronautic Information Management
Enterprise System.

To put it simply, the certificate is self-signed by the FAA.

No wonder you can't get any computer consulting gigs if you couldn't
figure that out.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.