5,000 FT Roller Coaster in the California Sierras

Old June 1st 09, 05:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
33

Default 5,000 FT Roller Coaster in the California Sierras

I recently participated in the annual Soar-in at Lone Pine, CA, which
is hosted by Caracole Soaring every year over Memorial Day weekend.
After spectacular soaring weather and great flights, we punctuated the
weekend with a roller coaster ride from Mount Whitney peak, which is
the highest mountain in the contiguous United States at 14,505 FT. I
shot a video of the ride and loaded it on YouTube for anyone that is
interested. It can be found at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjTmNJmJXbk

I did not spend any time editing the sound or content as you will
see. I was really trying to play with HD exporting. The video was
loaded in YouTube's new HD format. If you have the bandwidth, you
can click on the HD icon at the bottom right corner of the video
window. The picture quality is much better in HD. Air brakes were
necessary to match the terrain slope without exceeding VNE, so you may
need to turn your volume down if the gear warning horn gets too
offensive.

-33
Old June 1st 09, 06:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan[_6_]

On May 31, 9:55*pm, 33 wrote:
[...]

WOW!
never done Mt Whitney like that
cool!
Dan
WO
Old June 1st 09, 07:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

On May 31, 9:55*pm, 33 wrote:
[...]

Cool- Air-ajavo bobsledding!

-P
Old June 1st 09, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vontresc

On May 31, 11:55*pm, 33 wrote:
[...]

Wow that is pretty nifty! Just one question though. Why did you keep
pulling the airbrakes out? Were you approacing Vne, or were you simply
not low enough to the terrain? :-)

Pete

Old June 2nd 09, 03:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Fred Blair

Some day we will be able to read about "another beautiful white glider"
found in pieces on the side of a mountain.

Old June 2nd 09, 04:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
33

"vontresc" wrote in message
On May 31, 11:55 pm, 33 wrote:
[...]

I should have added a disclaimer to the video to be clear that flying
in the mountains and close to terra firma is not for everyone. As Co-
Pilot and I think the pilot would agree, flying close to the terrain
can be dangerous and should only be performed with adequate separation
according to personal safety margins.
Old June 2nd 09, 04:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
33

"vontresc" wrote in message

On May 31, 11:55 pm, 33 wrote:

[...]

Yes--Matching terrain slope without exceeding VNE required air
brakes. Putting the wheel down would have eliminated the horrible
noise.
Old June 2nd 09, 04:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Of course this was after your run up to Schulman Grove last Monday.
Cool. So now I know why I heard: "Duo, Whitney, 14,000" and not long
afterwards: "Duo, Whitney Portal, 9000."
(then not long after that: "Duo, south of Lone Pine, 6000")
At least the lift was decent under the OD by Cerro Gordo and we all
got home.
Jim
Old June 2nd 09, 04:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Jardini

Way below my minimums...

mj

lift on the Sierras? Hellman Soaring 7 September 11th 08 07:46 AM
Mid-air in California C J Campbell[_1_] Piloting 42 January 24th 08 01:56 AM
CH-47D high Roller Paul[_3_] Aviation Photos 0 June 12th 07 04:41 AM
FS AS-W20 California [email protected] Soaring 0 September 14th 06 08:08 AM
Wave in the Sierras Today? Gary Boggs Soaring 5 January 8th 06 02:34 AM