One door

Old December 29th 03, 06:34 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Hankal wrote:

Hope you did not forget that you have a radio. You could call unicom or any
aircraft on the ground to render assistance.

And if you can't raise anyone on the ground, you could probably get someone in
the air nearby to land and help you out.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."
Old December 30th 03, 01:36 AM
Ron Natalie

"John Galban" wrote in message m...
I was able to get out by using a screwdriver blade to push the
baggage door latch (on the door) out of the slot (on the airframe).
It was visible from the inside of the baggage compartment. On my
bird, the baggage door latch is simply turned into the slot by the
key. Is your Archer different?

You've not had real fun until you snap the canopy cable on a Navion
and get it stuck in the flight open position (about 8 " open) where it
won't go either way. Fortunately, I could get the pin up with a pair
of needle noses that I carry onboard. There is a cute little "unauthorized"
modification to provide a backup to pull the pin out there.

Old December 31st 03, 01:56 AM
Mike Noel

After reading this thread I decided to put a multi-tool into my headphone
bag just in case MY Archer decides not to let me out. This also got me
thinking about something an instructor once said to me while we were
pre-flighting a 172. After I locked the baggage door per the checklist he
admitted he didn't totally agree with it. He preferred to have an extra out
if both main doors were jammed by a crash. At the time I thought Cessna was
trying to prevent some little kid from crawling into the baggage compartment
and making a tragic exit.

John mentioned using a screwdriver to open the baggage door from inside. Is
this easier if the baggage door is latched but not locked? Does locking
actually make the baggage door more secure in flight?
--
Regards,
Mike

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/amountainaero/fspic1.html
"PaulaJay1" wrote in message
Had a potentially bad experience in my Archer tonight. Wife and I flew to
dinner and returned to the home port about 5:20. Airport normally is open

till
sunset (which is 5:07 tonight) but as we taxied in, the lights in their

cars
went out and they came walking to my plane. I store in the big hanger and

they
came back to open it and put the plane away. I had ment to leave it out

and
have them put it away in the morning. Well, little wife is saying she

can't
open the door. I called to Don, the owner of the FBO, and he came over

and
tried the outside but couldn't get it open. It was then that I realized

that
the door had locked on its own. No way to unkock/open it from the inside.

passed out the key through the pilot window and they unlocked the door.

Later
I looked at the luggage door and there is no simple way to open it from

the
inside either. If we had landed a couple minutes later, they would have

been
gone and I would probably have a slightly broken plane. I'll never argue

high
wing/low wing but I have become an advocate of TWO doors.

Chuck

Old December 31st 03, 08:57 PM
John Galban

"Mike Noel" wrote in message ...
snip
John mentioned using a screwdriver to open the baggage door from inside. Is
this easier if the baggage door is latched but not locked? Does locking
actually make the baggage door more secure in flight?

I'm beginning to think that some baggage doors may not be as simple
as mine. Recalling my rental days, I seem to remember that some
planes have both a latch and a lock. My baggage door(and most of the
earlier Cherokees) has a single rotating locking/latching mechanism.
Turn the key and a little tab on the lock rotates into a slot on the
airframe. Then you remove the key. On a door with a separate latch,
you might have to do some disassembly to get the latching mechanism to
release. I imagine this might be a bit more difficult if the door was
locked as well as latched.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old January 1st 04, 12:02 AM
PaulaJay1

In article , "Mike Noel"
writes:

After reading this thread I decided to put a multi-tool into my headphone
bag just in case MY Archer decides not to let me out. This also got me
thinking about something an instructor once said to me while we were
pre-flighting a 172. After I locked the baggage door per the checklist he
admitted he didn't totally agree with it. He preferred to have an extra out
if both main doors were jammed by a crash. At the time I thought Cessna was
trying to prevent some little kid from crawling into the baggage compartment
and making a tragic exit.

John mentioned using a screwdriver to open the baggage door from inside. Is
this easier if the baggage door is latched but not locked? Does locking
actually make the baggage door more secure in flight?

Follow up on my experience of being locked in my Archer. Well, I went to the
airport today with tools in hand to see what's up. I can't recreate the
problem! I took off the inside panel of the door and looked at how the lock
works. I can't get it to lock from the unlock position after trying various
to remove the key half way between lock and unlock etc. I just don't see how
it happened but it did and also to 4 others re the responses to this thread.
The locking bar just won't do its thing in the unlock position.
So here is what I've done to see that I have a fix if it ever happens again.
The lock bar is held to the lock cylinder by a screw. When the lock cylinder
is in the lock position, the lock bar is such as to keep the latch from going
into the open position. So, if you remove the lock bar, you can open the door
when the lock cylinder is in the lock position. I have marked (actually cut a
small slit) in the inside panel at the spot over the screw that holds lock
bar. If the imposible happens again, I can insert a Philips screwdriver into
the slit and remove the lock bar from the lock cylinder. Vowalla, I'm delocked
(that is, I'm out and have no lock/unlock capability) till I take off the
inside panel and reattach the lock bar. Caution, with the lock bar off, the
lock cylinder can come out the outside.
In addition, I looked at the baggage door to see if it would make a good
emergency exit. Same lock/unlock there with a lock bar attached to the lock
cylinder. However, after removing the screw that holds the lock bar(after
removing the inspection cover) you still have to "push" the button to open the
door. This isn't easy since you are on the wrond gide of the button. With a
screw driver you can wedge under the button and pull it toward you to unlatch
the door but it ain't easy. If you want to get out this way, better check
before needing the info.

Chuck

Need Cessna Door Dale General Aviation 0 December 15th 04 01:20 AM
Air Force radios jam garage door openers THE ASSOCIATED PRESS Otis Willie Military Aviation 1 May 21st 04 01:13 PM
wanted: hangar door tips Joa Home Built 35 April 18th 04 02:19 PM
Blue Angel's Gear Door Broken? Clay N4AOX Military Aviation 15 October 6th 03 08:01 AM
'50s Cessna Door Handles Jim Weir Owning 8 July 16th 03 11:01 PM