Sheriff's helicopter violated Daytona TFR

Old February 17th 04, 02:53 PM
Malcolm Teas

Default Sheriff's helicopter violated Daytona TFR

Seems that a sheriff's helicopter pilot didn't get the word, and
didn't have the right sqwalk or something.

Here's the article: http://www.sptimes.com/2004/02/17/Pa..._sets_of.shtml

What I find interesting is the quote from an FAA spokesman:

' "We make every effort to educate pilots that they are in place, but
sometimes pilots are not aware of them," said Kathleen Bergen,
spokeswoman for the southern region of the FAA.

The agency will investigate as a matter of course, but "virtually
every alleged violation has been unintentional," Bergen said. '

If "virtually every alleged violation is unintentional", that's
spending a lot of money for not much result. Seems like the effort's
misdirected.

-Malcolm Teas
JYO in the ADIZ
Old February 17th 04, 08:42 PM
CFLav8r

' "We make every effort to educate pilots that they are in place, but
sometimes pilots are not aware of them," said Kathleen Bergen,
spokeswoman for the southern region of the FAA.

The agency will investigate as a matter of course, but "virtually
every alleged violation has been unintentional," Bergen said. '

Wow! I hope they are that nice to me if it ever happens that I wander into a
TFR.
The quote makes it sound like its ok, he didn't know any better. You know,
the old
"Boys will be boys" statement for rule breaking.

David

Old February 17th 04, 10:14 PM
John T

"CFLav8r" wrote in message

Wow! I hope they are that nice to me if it ever happens that I wander
into a TFR.

I'm sure they will be if "Sheriff's Department" is painted on the side of
your aircraft.

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/TknoFlyer

Old February 17th 04, 10:24 PM
Ron Natalie

"John T" wrote in message ws.com...
"CFLav8r" wrote in message

Wow! I hope they are that nice to me if it ever happens that I wander
into a TFR.

I'm sure they will be if "Sheriff's Department" is painted on the side of
your aircraft.

Like terrorists can't get cans of spay paint.

Old February 17th 04, 10:30 PM
James M. Knox

(Malcolm Teas) wrote in
om:

A sheriff's helicopter working a fatal crash on State Road 54 entered
a restricted flight zone put in place for President Bush's visit to
Tampa.

"They failed to notify us," sheriff's spokesman Kevin Doll said
Monday.

Gee... I didn't realize that the FAA was supposed to call each pilot and
tell them in advance what NOTAMs might affect future flights. I've been
doing it the hard way and calling them!

"I wanted to go outside and see what it was, but I was scared," said
16-year-old Jacki Hill, who was watching Nickelodeon about 10:30 p.m.
Sunday. "I thought it was a terrorist attack." She flipped to the news
channel, hoping for an answer.

Used to be that kids ran outside to look at the aircraft. Now the
govt/press has hyped it so much that teenagers claim they need to cower
in fear. That's the part I find sad.

Austin is the same way. Now the Austin newspaper basically tells the
public every time a plane is going to fly over the city. On Dec 3rd the
local pilot's group staged a fly-over. The newspaper warned everyone
that it wouldn't hurt them. Last month a couple of helicopters replaced
some equipment on a building. The paper ran a piece the day before
telling everyone it would not be a terrorist attack.

Hype and garbage...

James M. Knox
TriSoft ph 512-385-0316
1109-A Shady Lane fax 512-366-4331
Austin, Tx 78721

Old February 17th 04, 10:31 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
. ..

"John T" wrote in message

ws.com...
"CFLav8r" wrote in message

Wow! I hope they are that nice to me if it ever happens that I wander
into a TFR.

I'm sure they will be if "Sheriff's Department" is painted on the side

of
your aircraft.

Like terrorists can't get cans of spay paint.

Yeah..but they'd "spay" paint "Shareifs Deparment" on it... :~)

Old February 17th 04, 10:42 PM
Morgans

"James M. Knox" wrote
Austin is the same way. Now the Austin newspaper basically tells the
public every time a plane is going to fly over the city. On Dec 3rd the
local pilot's group staged a fly-over. The newspaper warned everyone
that it wouldn't hurt them. Last month a couple of helicopters replaced
some equipment on a building. The paper ran a piece the day before
telling everyone it would not be a terrorist attack.

James M. Knox

Great! Sounds good, from my point of view. I could be ready to be in the
right place to see the flyover, or to see the big noisy thing repulse the
earth, while carrying big heavy thingies. ;-)
--
Jim in NC

---

Old February 18th 04, 12:08 AM
Jay Beckman

"Tom Sixkiller" wrote in message

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
. ..

"John T" wrote in message

ws.com...
"CFLav8r" wrote in message

Wow! I hope they are that nice to me if it ever happens that I

wander
into a TFR.

I'm sure they will be if "Sheriff's Department" is painted on the side

of
your aircraft.

Like terrorists can't get cans of spay paint.

Yeah..but they'd "spay" paint "Shareifs Deparment" on it... :~)

Rock The Casbah...Rock The Casbah...

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
Student Pilot - .9 Hours (No where to go but up!)

Old February 18th 04, 02:02 AM
Ash Wyllie

Tom Sixkiller opined

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message

"John T" wrote in message

ews.com...
"CFLav8r" wrote in message

Wow! I hope they are that nice to me if it ever happens that I wander
into a TFR.

I'm sure they will be if "Sheriff's Department" is painted on the side

of
your aircraft.

Like terrorists can't get cans of spay paint.

Yeah..but they'd "spay" paint "Shareifs Deparment" on it... :~)

But ho wud now the difernse?

-ash
Cthulhu for President!
Why vote for a lesser evil?

Old February 18th 04, 03:17 AM
BTIZ

"They failed to notify us," sheriff's spokesman Kevin Doll said
Monday.

I'll remember that for my "plea of innocence"...

BT