Simulated Engine Outs

Old February 13th 04, 09:32 PM
Anyone

Go to idle but clear the engine every once in a while. I think I can limp
along half ass with 1500 rpm.

"BoDEAN" wrote in message
In small high wing planes (Ie 172, 152, 150) do you do/teach pulling
throttle all the back to idel? I've been told bring it to 1500 RPM, 1
notch of flaps. Not as hard on the engine

Old February 13th 04, 09:50 PM
Jim

I'm going with BT on this one.... I know the post is about the potential for
engine damage, and I'm guessing that the people using this technique are
worried about shock cooling caused by the prop driving the engine and
forcing the engine to digest more cool air through it's cylinders than
normal.... just a guess... but I'd be more worried about what it teaches the
student. Think about it. Even at idle the engine is producing "some"
power. However you want to explain it, power either produces lift or
extends glide range. I'm not sure that 1 notch of flaps produces enough
drag to overcome the increased lift created by the 1500 rpms + flaps
configuration.
Just a thought. (But I'm on so much cold medicine I might not be thinking
to clearly)
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

"BTIZ" wrote in message
you don't get much of an "engine out" at 1500RPM

sort of builds a false sense of security of the seemingly good glide ratio

BT

Old February 13th 04, 10:22 PM
Michael

Big John wrote
Probably one rational behind keeping engine warm is that if you go to
idle and glide a long time the engine will cool down. You then slap on
full power and the cylinders are hit with a high temperature all of a
sudden.

That's probably the best rationale I've ever heard for 1500 RPM and
one notch of flaps. We all worry about shock cooling, but letting the
engine cool off and then pouring on the coals is a recipe for shock
heating. I might rethink the way I do this...

Of course idle engine will not duplicate aircraft performance with
dead engine.

No it won't. It's also a great recipe for icing up the carb. For
both those reasons, I usually pull the mixture to idle. That way you
get a true windmilling engine, and since no fuel is evaporating in the
carb there's no risk of ice.

1500 RPM is still very low power, and the chance for carb ice is still
there. Not sure whether I'd rather worry about shock heating the
cylinders or icing up the carb.

So, youse kind of pays ur money and takes ur chances )

Yup.

Michael
Old February 14th 04, 02:44 AM
BTIZ

recently there was a C-172 that ended up completing the "forced landing"
practice from a simulated engine failure... the "practice approach" was to a
dirt road in the local desert.. how ever.. and attempting the "go around /
aborted approach" at 50ft.. the engine coughed wheezed and died..

subject CFI took control of the aircraft and attempted to complete the
landing on the dirt road, lost control off to the side, (just how wide are
the landing gear in a C-172 and just how wide do you think a seemingly
single lane dirt road is)

any way, he lost it, turned turtle on him out in the desert, totaled,
insurance company attempted to refused payment for landing on a non-improved
landing area.. don't know the final out come.

Part of the accident investigation, the CFI had not been taught about
periodic "clearing" of the engine during a long glide.

BT
"EDR" wrote in message
In article , Cub Driver
wrote:

In small high wing planes (Ie 172, 152, 150) do you do/teach pulling
throttle all the back to idel? I've been told bring it to 1500 RPM, 1
notch of flaps. Not as hard on the engine

Crikey, the Cub will pretty much fly at 1500 rpm.
I bring it back to the stop. Then I goose it every couple or three
minutes--I've never noticed how frequently.

John, you have to remember that modern instructors do not teach
"clearing the engine" as we were taught with the Champs, Cubs, etc.

Old February 14th 04, 02:45 AM
BTIZ

I new and instructor that would move the single C-150 fuel shut off valve to
off in the traffic pattern, he did it once to many times, he was left
holding the valve handle.

BT

"EDR" wrote in message
In article , BoDEAN
wrote:

In small high wing planes (Ie 172, 152, 150) do you do/teach pulling
throttle all the back to idel? I've been told bring it to 1500 RPM, 1
notch of flaps. Not as hard on the engine

It's much more exciting to pull the mixture!

Old February 14th 04, 05:05 AM
Mike O'Malley

"BTIZ" wrote in message
I new and instructor that would move the single C-150 fuel shut off valve to
off in the traffic pattern, he did it once to many times, he was left
holding the valve handle.

BT

Which is why I never fly without a Leatherman :-)

Old February 14th 04, 07:19 AM
Brian Burger

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, EDR wrote:

In article , Cub Driver
wrote:

In small high wing planes (Ie 172, 152, 150) do you do/teach pulling
throttle all the back to idel? I've been told bring it to 1500 RPM, 1
notch of flaps. Not as hard on the engine

Crikey, the Cub will pretty much fly at 1500 rpm.
I bring it back to the stop. Then I goose it every couple or three
minutes--I've never noticed how frequently.

John, you have to remember that modern instructors do not teach
"clearing the engine" as we were taught with the Champs, Cubs, etc.

Really? I got my PPL in 2002, from an instructor who'd only being flying
for four years (yes, aviation's favourite whipping boy, the 21-year old
career-bound instructor...) and engine clearing every 1000ft or so was
absolutely standard procedure.

Some instructors might not teach it, but the club I'm with does at least.
(My instructor had been taught by our Chief Flight Instructor, who was
also my PPL flight test examiner...)

Brian.
Old February 14th 04, 01:13 PM
Dennis O'Connor

Had there been a crash it would have been interesting to listen to him
explain to the fsdo inspector how he, singlehandedly, managed to trash a
perfectly good airplane...
As I mentioned prior in this thread, lets be careful out there...
denny

Old February 14th 04, 02:07 PM
Robert Moore

"BTIZ" wrote

I new and instructor that would move........

Was this supposed to read ?

"I knew an instructor...."

I wonder how some of our NG posters met FAR 61.103 ? :-)

Section 61.103: Eligibility requirements: General.
To be eligible for a private pilot certificate, a person must:
(c) Be able to read, speak, write, and understand the English
language.

Bob Moore

Old February 14th 04, 03:44 PM
BTIZ

Some instructors might not teach it, but the club I'm with does at least.
(My instructor had been taught by our Chief Flight Instructor, who was
also my PPL flight test examiner...)

That explains why he knows to clear the engine