XCSkies

Old February 2nd 14, 07:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default XCSkies

I purchased a subscription to XCSkies in November 2013 and have not been able to log in. Despite 5 emails to XCSkies I have not had the courtesy of a response.
Has anyone had such a problem or have they closed down?
D Bull
Old February 2nd 14, 03:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Boise Pilot

Just opened it, works for me.
Tom

Old February 2nd 14, 07:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Bick (1DB)

On Saturday, February 1, 2014 11:15:54 PM UTC-8, wrote:
I purchased a subscription to XCSkies in November 2013 and have not been able to log in. Despite 5 emails to XCSkies I have not had the courtesy of a response.

Has anyone had such a problem or have they closed down?

D Bull

try . Has always responded to my emails since XCSkies started up.
Eric Bick
Old February 2nd 14, 09:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SF

The guys at XCskies have always been great to deal with, and responsive in my experience. Try sending something from another e-mail address, and check your address for them again. I suspect a Spam filter or an incorrect address is the culprit. They also have a support forum you could try. The website is up and running, even though the predominant color is the purple color of glider doom.
SF

Old February 3rd 14, 05:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Valid points about the past, but I fear things have changed.
I have been an XC Skies subscriber since 2008. Have used XC Skies for tasking at Lake Keepit, where I met David. Probably helped talk him into subscribing.
Have tried to help with David's problem. Gave him the cgalli address to which he sent mail 2 weeks ago including multiple return addresses. Tried to log him on using my own computer which runs XC Skies. Looked at his account, listed as expired. David subscribed just a few months ago. Tried to get on the XC Skies forum to ask more, which results in the message:
Tried to e-mail Chris at the cgalli address on David's behalf. There has been no response yet, but it's only three days - of which two are "the weekend", meaning something to some people. Like others suggest, Chris has been responsive in the past so the issue is not spam, spam, baked beans and spam. Of course, it's possible there are unknown issues that are preventing Chris from responding.
In recent years there were supposed to be updates to XC Skies. An android application coming spring 2012, and Chris and I had discussed convergence mapping. Fortunately several subscription-free RASP and other BLIPMAPs already show convergence.
For those in the northern hemisphere, imagine your subscription not working in May to August. You wouldn't be happy either.
Jim
Old February 3rd 14, 05:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

As Jim mentioned, Blipmap and RASP are a great alternative and free. While not as modern and interactive as XCSkies, depend on the location, they may be more reliable and accurate.
For the areas I fly (California and Nevada) I still find the combination of the NAM blipmap and RASP to be the most accurate and useful soaring forecast tools.

Ramy
Old February 4th 14, 06:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

I met Chris Galli for the first time about one year ago at an American Meteorological Society national convention, Austin, TX. We had a great conversation and he has many software projects in the works related to atmospheric sciences. Works with Univ of Utah as one of their key web/developers. Sometimes it takes awhile for him to respond to XCSkies questions... but he eventually gets around to it.

Walter Rogers - WX
Meteorologist for WGC Uvalde 2012
Old February 4th 14, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sig_ZA

On Tuesday, February 4, 2014 8:16:10 AM UTC+2, WaltWX wrote:
I met Chris Galli for the first time about one year ago at an American Meteorological Society national convention, Austin, TX. We had a great conversation and he has many software projects in the works related to atmospheric sciences. Works with Univ of Utah as one of their key web/developers. Sometimes it takes awhile for him to respond to XCSkies questions... but he eventually gets around to it.

Walter Rogers - WX

Meteorologist for WGC Uvalde 2012

Did you manage to get a phone number?
Appears as if he's vanished off the face of the earth.
Old February 4th 14, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Good news, Chris just replied to my e-mail. He has had problems with his inbox. A lot of mail went to spam.
David's subscription is fixed.
Others who have sent (apparently lost) mail should soon get replies.
Jim