WANTED SWEIZER GLIDER TOW HOOK FOR CESSNA 172

Old March 29th 10, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rocket[_6_]

Default WANTED SWEIZER GLIDER TOW HOOK FOR CESSNA 172

I am looking for a Sweizer Tow Hook Kit to be used on a Cessna 172 for
towing Gliders, if anyone knows were to find one?
Old March 29th 10, 04:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Mar 29, 8:21*am, Rocket wrote:
I am looking for a Sweizer Tow Hook Kit to be used on a Cessna 172 for
towing Gliders, if anyone knows were to find one?

Insert standard Schweizer tow release safety problems.

I think Tim at Wings and Wheels has Cessna 172 Tost tow hooks, given
that why wold anybody fit a Schweizer hook?

Darryl
Old March 31st 10, 06:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ed

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 08:21:15 -0700 (PDT), Rocket
wrote:

I am looking for a Sweizer Tow Hook Kit to be used on a Cessna 172 for
towing Gliders, if anyone knows were to find one?

You might look up the McFarlane hook on the internet.
Old March 31st 10, 07:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ed

wrote:

I am looking for a Sweizer Tow Hook Kit to be used on a Cessna 172 for
towing Gliders, if anyone knows were to find one?

I also just noticed that Aircraft Spruce sells a hook, but they ain't
cheap. Also McFarlane sold their hook to an outfit in Olanthe Kansas.
Old March 31st 10, 07:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

wrote:
I am looking for a Sweizer Tow Hook Kit to be used on a Cessna 172 for
towing Gliders, if anyone knows were to find one?

I also just noticed that Aircraft Spruce sells a hook, but they ain't
cheap. Also McFarlane sold their hook to an outfit in Olanthe Kansas.

And the Aircraft Spruce tow hook I believe is manufactured by Wings
Unlimited http://www.wingsunlimitedtowhooks.com/products.html

Neither the Wings Unlimtied or McFarlane tow hooks have an STC AFAIK.
So you are in the same situation needing to do a 337/field approval
for any of these as you would for a Tost. So why would somebody pick
one of these over a Tost? (that's a question not a sarcastic comment).

Darryl
Old March 31st 10, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
lanebush

wrote:
I am looking for a Sweizer Tow Hook Kit to be used on a Cessna 172 for
towing Gliders, if anyone knows were to find one?

I also just noticed that Aircraft Spruce sells a hook, but they ain't
cheap. Also McFarlane sold their hook to an outfit in Olanthe Kansas.

And the Aircraft Spruce tow hook I believe is manufactured by Wings
Unlimitedhttp://www.wingsunlimitedtowhooks.com/products.html

Neither the Wings Unlimtied or McFarlane tow hooks have an STC AFAIK.
So you are in the same situation needing to do a 337/field approval
for any of these as you would for a Tost. So why would somebody pick
one of these over a Tost? (that's a question not a sarcastic comment).

Darryl

Your support for TOST is admirable. How about getting them to develop
an STC the next time you guys have a company meeting.
XF
Old March 31st 10, 08:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

wrote:
I am looking for a Sweizer Tow Hook Kit to be used on a Cessna 172 for
towing Gliders, if anyone knows were to find one?

I also just noticed that Aircraft Spruce sells a hook, but they ain't
cheap. Also McFarlane sold their hook to an outfit in Olanthe Kansas.

And the Aircraft Spruce tow hook I believe is manufactured by Wings
Unlimitedhttp://www.wingsunlimitedtowhooks.com/products.html

Neither the Wings Unlimtied or McFarlane tow hooks have an STC AFAIK.
So you are in the same situation needing to do a 337/field approval
for any of these as you would for a Tost. So why would somebody pick
one of these over a Tost? (that's a question not a sarcastic comment).

Darryl

Your support for TOST is admirable. *How about getting them to develop
an STC the next time you guys have a company meeting.
XF

Ah you lost me there.

Somebody is asking for a particular type of tow hook. I point out they
are dangerous vs. a modern alternative like a Tost. Somebody else
points out other options (lets discount the found objects on ebay). I
provide more details and a link. None of any of the ones we are
talking about have an STC AFAIK. I am sure many people would like a
modern safe tow-hook option with STC'ed for popular tow aircraft. If
the lack of an STC is a problem for you then you can follow up with
the parts manufactures/reps (Tim Mara for Tost). But given the market
size/demand, I suspect it is awfully unlikely any manufacturer is
going to want to STC a tow hook for a Cessna 172. I am pretty sure
people are installing Tost tow hooks with a 337. If you have problems
maybe somebody who has done the paperwork before (with the same or a
different FSDO) can help you. If a FSDO is giving you problems for a
Tost then presumably the FSDO is going to give you a problem for all
the other available options now as well?

The other non-Tost releases mentioned claim to have improved release
under high load angles than the original Schweitzer. I believe the
McFarlane and the Wings Unlimited tow releases are the same item/
design, in which case I understand they were designed with knowledge
of the problems with the Schweitzer releases. But again they are not
STC'ed. I'm not necessarily a fan of the rubber block spring based
design, but maybe that is better in dirty/dusty situations than a
Tost? Is the attraction just they are cheaper than a Tost? Is the
attraction wanting to use the large Schweitzer tow rings at a club/
FBO? Or are people just instinctively asking for a "Schweitzer
release" because that is what they think tow planes have?

Darryl
Old February 5th 14, 02:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, 31 March 2010 21:58:15 UTC+2, darrylr wrote:
On Mar 31, 12:09*pm, lanebush wrote: On Mar 31, 2:24*pm, Darryl Ramm wrote: On Mar 31, 11:10*am, Ed wrote: On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 08:21:15 -0700 (PDT), Rocket wrote: I am looking for a Sweizer Tow Hook Kit to be used on a Cessna 172 for towing Gliders, if anyone knows were to find one? I also just noticed that Aircraft Spruce sells a hook, but they ain't cheap. Also McFarlane sold their hook to an outfit in Olanthe Kansas. And the Aircraft Spruce tow hook I believe is manufactured by Wings Unlimitedhttp://www.wingsunlimitedtowhooks.com/products.html Neither the Wings Unlimtied or McFarlane tow hooks have an STC AFAIK. So you are in the same situation needing to do a 337/field approval for any of these as you would for a Tost. So why would somebody pick one of these over a Tost? (that's a question not a sarcastic comment). Darryl Your support for TOST is admirable. *How about getting them to develop an STC the next time you guys have a company meeting. XFAh you lost me there.Somebody is asking for a particular type of tow hook. I point out they are dangerous vs. a modern alternative like a Tost. Somebody else points out other options (lets discount the found objects on ebay). I provide more details and a link. None of any of the ones we are talking about have an STC AFAIK. I am sure many people would like a modern safe tow-hook option with STC'ed for popular tow aircraft. If the lack of an STC is a problem for you then you can follow up with the parts manufactures/reps (Tim Mara for Tost). But given the market size/demand, I suspect it is awfully unlikely any manufacturer is going to want to STC a tow hook for a Cessna 172. I am pretty sure people are installing Tost tow hooks with a 337. If you have problems maybe somebody who has done the paperwork before (with the same or a different FSDO) can help you. If a FSDO is giving you problems for a Tost then presumably the FSDO is going to give you a problem for all the other available options now as well?The other non-Tost releases mentioned claim to have improved release under high load angles than the original Schweitzer. I believe the McFarlane and the Wings Unlimited tow releases are the same item/ design, in which case I understand they were designed with knowledge of the problems with the Schweitzer releases. But again they are not STC'ed. I'm not necessarily a fan of the rubber block spring based design, but maybe that is better in dirty/dusty situations than a Tost? Is the attraction just they are cheaper than a Tost? Is the attraction wanting to use the large Schweitzer tow rings at a club/ FBO? Or are people just instinctively asking for a "Schweitzer release" because that is what they think tow planes have?Darryl

Hi Darry,

do you know by any chance whether or not since you have communicated all above, there has been any change it the legislation and TOST or any other hooks are now approved by either FAA or EASA on Cessna 172N or FR Cessna 172N?

Thank you

Regards
Juraj
Old March 31st 10, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Mar 29, 10:21*am, Rocket wrote:
I am looking for a Sweizer Tow Hook Kit to be used on a Cessna 172 for
towing Gliders, if anyone knows were to find one?

A Schweizer tow hook and smoke system (I didn't know Schweizer made
smoke systems! :-) ) just showed up on Barnstormers.

Suppose the smoke system is for the glider, or the towplane?

Steve
Old April 14th 11, 04:53 PM
usmcshooter usmcshooter is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket[_6_] View Post
I am looking for a Sweizer Tow Hook Kit to be used on a Cessna 172 for
towing Gliders, if anyone knows were to find one?
Go to eBay and search for Schweizer...I listed one yesterday. Blue Skies.