Please write book

Old July 15th 15, 10:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surge

Default Please write book

On Tuesday, 14 July 2015 20:04:35 UTC+2, wrote:
On Tuesday, July 14, 2015 at 1:18:54 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Total energy probes and varios.
That is a needed book.

Ilec has created a paper that covers this topic extremely well.
UH

I assume you're refering to this?
http://www.ilec-gmbh.com/ilec/manual...be_english.pdf
The ILEC vario installation manuals also contain a lot of generic "best practice" information.

I found Mike Borgelt's leak testing article also useful:
http://www.borgeltinstruments.com/Leaks.pdf
Old July 15th 15, 12:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Muttley

On Tuesday, July 14, 2015 at 5:32:01 PM UTC+1, chris johnson wrote:
I wish someone would write a soaring book on flight computers. How to choose one, program, trouble shoot them, use them. Combine book with YouTube explanations.

Remember fancy Instruments will only tell you what you are doing and what you have done, they will not advise you on what to do next. For that only loads of flying and gathering experience will help. Also read some good books on flying technique etc such as Reichmann,Kalckreuth,Moffat, Brigliatori and Kawa etc and brush up on Meteorology. As far as Instruments go, it always should be KISS.
Old July 15th 15, 01:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Wed, 15 Jul 2015 02:25:28 -0700, Surge wrote:

I found Mike Borgelt's leak testing article also useful:
http://www.borgeltinstruments.com/Leaks.pdf

+1 to that.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old July 15th 15, 02:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

If you can't find the book you want, then write it. There are plenty of online resources to educate yourself about all the instruments offered. LX has free simulator program and a great website. Butterfly has a great website, glider pilot source out of the Netherlands has good videos as does Cummulus soaring....talk to pilots search this newsgroup....
Old July 15th 15, 03:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech

On Tuesday, July 14, 2015 at 12:32:01 PM UTC-4, chris johnson wrote:
I wish someone would write a soaring book on flight computers. How to choose one, program, trouble shoot them, use them. Combine book with YouTube explanations.

Chris,
The easiest, least expensive choice is to use XCSoar on an Android phone or tablet. That said, I have lots of questions that are not covered well in the manual and I am forced to either ignore certain features to try to understand them while flying. A good video tutorial would be really helpful.
Old July 15th 15, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Pasker

On Tuesday, July 14, 2015 at 12:32:01 PM UTC-4, chris johnson wrote:
I wish someone would write a soaring book on flight computers. How to choose one, program, trouble shoot them, use them. Combine book with YouTube explanations.

how about we start a Wiki for Soaring?
Old July 15th 15, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Reinholt

On Tuesday, July 14, 2015 at 9:32:01 AM UTC-7, chris johnson wrote:
I wish someone would write a soaring book on flight computers. How to choose one, program, trouble shoot them, use them. Combine book with YouTube explanations.

I wouldn't expect a "Consumer's Guide" of flight computers to be published any time soon. Researching out internet forums on which flight computer system is best will get you a great deal of biased information. Everybody has an opinion.... and, of course, theirs it correct ;-)
I would suggest that you download all the popular flight software simulators and decide for yourself which is best for you. After choosing which program you like, decide on the hardware that best suits your needs.
This will take some time and effort on your part, but I suspect the results will make you happy!
Good luck.
Old July 15th 15, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Pasker

On Wednesday, July 15, 2015 at 11:21:03 AM UTC-4, Bob Pasker wrote:
On Tuesday, July 14, 2015 at 12:32:01 PM UTC-4, chris johnson wrote:
I wish someone would write a soaring book on flight computers. How to choose one, program, trouble shoot them, use them. Combine book with YouTube explanations.

how about we start a Wiki for Soaring?

go ahead everyone, write a book:

http://soaring.wikia.com/

Old July 15th 15, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Wed, 15 Jul 2015 07:27:54 -0700, Soartech wrote:

On Tuesday, July 14, 2015 at 12:32:01 PM UTC-4, chris johnson wrote:
I wish someone would write a soaring book on flight computers. How to
choose one, program, trouble shoot them, use them. Combine book with
YouTube explanations.

Chris,
The easiest, least expensive choice is to use XCSoar on an Android phone
or tablet. That said, I have lots of questions that are not covered well
in the manual and I am forced to either ignore certain features to try
to understand them while flying. A good video tutorial would be really
helpful.

You have another choice as well: run XCSoar in simulator mode at home
while you work out what settings suit you best and see exactly what it
does in a variety of situations.

Don't want to mess up your current configuration? Download the Windows
version and run it on your PC (it also runs just fine under Wine on a
Linux box) and then, if you decide you prefer the configuration you've
set up there, copy it over to the rig you fly with.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old July 15th 15, 11:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

Condor can output a data stream that can be used with most portable glide computers (XCSoar, LK8000, SeeYou Mobile, etc.). This has helped me to refine my setup in XCSoar (but it works with most devices) that have a serial or Bluetooth input. It also lets you pause the flight while you modify the settings; heads down on the computer is not usually dangerous ;-)

F-35 - You write the caption Tom[_8_] Aviation Photos 3 May 10th 10 11:11 AM
IFR LSA write up Helen Owning 1 October 27th 07 02:57 PM
Sup, All & Sorry, No Write Up On S/A NW_Pilot Piloting 13 May 4th 07 03:18 PM
FA: 1-Day-Left: Rare Book - THE SKYCRAFT BOOK - 1932 Aviation Book - Vintage Aviation Phyllis Aviation Marketplace 0 June 27th 05 01:21 AM
FA: Rare Book - THE SKYCRAFT BOOK - 1932 Aviation Book - Vintage Aviation Hannah Aviation Marketplace 0 June 21st 05 02:45 AM