Your free AvGas fillup at Dodge Center MN (TOB) July Sunday 31, AM

Old August 4th 05, 04:50 AM
Matt Barrow

"John" wrote in message ...
abripl wrote:

Hi,

Just returned from Oshkosh home to Pierre SD. I filled up at Dodge
Center MN this AM and not being familiar with the self serve gas
fillup, I did not hang up the pump handle properly. Somebody after me
continued pumping another $150 on my credit card ($200 instead of about
$50). My experimental only holds 35 gal bone dry. If it was you that
accidentally filled up that morning after me and don't see
corresponding "HARTLAND FUEL PRODUCTS - DODGE CENTER" credit card
charges on your card please contact me. Paul at 605-224-0660

Now that's been a few days, has the charge amount POSTED to your credit
card account? Is it an even number like $200 or is it a more realistic
number like $197.34 ?

Question is: How did he know, as soon as he did (a matter of hours), that
someone pumped gas on his card?

Old August 4th 05, 05:19 AM
John

Matt Barrow wrote:

"John" wrote in message ...
abripl wrote:

Hi,

Just returned from Oshkosh home to Pierre SD. I filled up at Dodge
Center MN this AM and not being familiar with the self serve gas
fillup, I did not hang up the pump handle properly. Somebody after me
continued pumping another $150 on my credit card ($200 instead of about
$50). My experimental only holds 35 gal bone dry. If it was you that
accidentally filled up that morning after me and don't see
corresponding "HARTLAND FUEL PRODUCTS - DODGE CENTER" credit card
charges on your card please contact me. Paul at 605-224-0660

Now that's been a few days, has the charge amount POSTED to your credit
card account? Is it an even number like $200 or is it a more realistic
number like $197.34 ?

Question is: How did he know, as soon as he did (a matter of hours), that
someone pumped gas on his card?

As Ted wrote in another post, the OP probably checked his account online or
even via telephone. MBNA credit cards (such as AOPA credit card) even show
authorizations in real time so it would show online immediately after the
transaction. Some transactions (like hotel rooms, rental cars, and gas
purchases) authorize a higher amount off the bat then will eventually be
posted, so that's why I asked my questions. You only pay what actually POSTS,
which might vary from what can be authorized. So it is possible the OP wasn't
actually charged anything higher than what he expected at the time of purchase.

Old August 4th 05, 03:06 PM
David Lesher

What no one has broached here is how to CYA on future automagic gas purchases.

Do these pumps issue a printed receipt?

Is there some test you can run to be sure it's stopped charging you? (Such
as trying to pump again, and getting prompted for the CCard?)

Can you get your credit card programmed to have a transaction dollar limit?

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old August 4th 05, 03:54 PM
Peter Duniho

"David Lesher" wrote in message
What no one has broached here is how to CYA on future automagic gas
purchases.

Do these pumps issue a printed receipt?

Yes.

Is there some test you can run to be sure it's stopped charging you? (Such
as trying to pump again, and getting prompted for the CCard?)

Yes. Look for your receipt.

The funny thing is, whenever I pump from one of these self-serve pumps,
almost every time there's the previous customer's receipt dangling from the
printer. I always take my receipt, but apparently I'm one of the few, the
proud, the record keepers.

Can you get your credit card programmed to have a transaction dollar
limit?

IMHO, you'd have to have a card used only for buying gas for that to work.
However much gas you're buying, it's likely you use the card for any number
of other purchases that exceed the cost of the gas. This is true whether
you're buying gas for a Cub or a Citation.

Pete

Old August 4th 05, 04:45 PM
George Patterson

David Lesher wrote:
What no one has broached here is how to CYA on future automagic gas purchases.

Do these pumps issue a printed receipt?

The ones I've used do.

Is there some test you can run to be sure it's stopped charging you? (Such
as trying to pump again, and getting prompted for the CCard?)

I've done this at Sky Manor. The first prompt is an instruction to ground the
aircraft. I will hit enough buttons to display that prompt.

George Patterson
Old August 4th 05, 03:08 PM
Matt Barrow

"John" wrote in message ...

Matt Barrow wrote:

[...]

That'd work. So are you saying the $200 is the AUTHORIZATION amount, not the
TRANSACTION amount? I've seen delays on those of up to a day or two. I
suspect that an FBO that has a full time connection would have better timing
on the data than one whose system has to do a modem dialup and then batch
transactions at end of day/overnight.

Old August 5th 05, 04:44 PM

Paul,
Keep us updated on the outcome. It is most likely that you would
not hear from the individual who used the pump after you. I agree that
it hardly cost you anything but your time to post here. At the
minimum, your experience will help others to be more careful in using
self service pump.
Years ago, I accidently left a barely used $50 copy card in the
copying machine. I had nobody but myself to blame for loss. I am
pretty sure that if I had known someone who did the same thing before,
I would have been more careful.
When we first started using the self sevice pump, at one time, we
forget to reset the meter and was quite concerned in seeing the meter
added up our purchase to the previous one. We went to talk to the FBO
and was told not to worry. He explained to us that although the meter
was not reset, the system had a way of recording the exact purchase.
We checked our credit card billing later and found that this was the
case.
Although most self service station let you enter the estimated
dollars or gallons that you want to purchase, I recall having used some
which did not offer this option. Again, most stations issued a
receipt but I have come across some that did not give any either. In
any case, we will be more careful when hanging up the pump.
Thank you for posting your experience here.

Hai Longworth