RAH History

Old August 28th 07, 07:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself[_4_]

Default RAH History

I've been trying to find some of the things I wrote here over the past
how-many years.

Google lets you search by thread name, but the way things drift...
Or by author.

But not by any contents of the messages.

Anyone have a way to search form date to date for messages containing
an indetifying key word?

Thanks

Richard
Old August 28th 07, 08:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Wanttaja

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 01:47:14 -0500, cavelamb himself
wrote:

I've been trying to find some of the things I wrote here over the past
how-many years.

Google lets you search by thread name, but the way things drift...
Or by author.

But not by any contents of the messages.

Anyone have a way to search form date to date for messages containing
an indetifying key word?

Doesn't advanced search do that?

http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?q=&

Ron Wanttaja
Old August 28th 07, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Fred the Red Shirt

wrote:

I've been trying to find some of the things I wrote here over the past
how-many years.

Google lets you search by thread name, but the way things drift...
Or by author.

But not by any contents of the messages.

Anyone have a way to search form date to date for messages containing
an indetifying key word?

Doesn't advanced search do that?

http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?q=&

Yes, but it can be hard to find "advanced search"--it does not appear
on as many pages as does the basic search.

--

FF

Old August 28th 07, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself[_4_]

wrote:

I've been trying to find some of the things I wrote here over the past
how-many years.

Google lets you search by thread name, but the way things drift...
Or by author.

But not by any contents of the messages.

Anyone have a way to search form date to date for messages containing
an indetifying key word?

Doesn't advanced search do that?

http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?q=&

Ron Wanttaja

I was using that last night but no, it doesn't allow you to search
message content.

The word matching function seems to be for subject line only.

I was hoping to find the message about the flight down to Florida.

We flew down in a '41 Taylorcraft to bring home a friends brand new '46
Aeronca Chief.

Richard Lamb
Old August 28th 07, 09:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Fred the Red Shirt

wrote:

I've been trying to find some of the things I wrote here over the past
how-many years.

Google lets you search by thread name, but the way things drift...
Or by author.

But not by any contents of the messages.

Anyone have a way to search form date to date for messages containing
an indetifying key word?

Doesn't advanced search do that?

http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?q=&

Ron Wanttaja

I was using that last night but no, it doesn't allow you to search
message content.

The word matching function seems to be for subject line only.

I was hoping to find the message about the flight down to Florida.

We flew down in a '41 Taylorcraft to bring home a friends brand new '46
Aeronca Chief.

It works on content for me, but I don't see anythign that looks like
the
article you want.

http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...ff&qt_s=Search

The article may have been posted with the "do not archive" directive.

--

FF

Old August 28th 07, 09:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gunny

Richard,

Google located message that sounds like what you are looking for.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.s...c8d8f43dcaf37f

It's from March 23, 2003. Interesting thing is that Google only found
the content in a reply, it didn't locate the original message. It
wasn't in RAH either. But it was you, and it sounds like the right
story. Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Matt

P.S. My dad has a '46 Taylorcraft and my uncle had a Chief once.
Sounds like quite a trip.

Old August 28th 07, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself[_4_]

cavelamb himself wrote:

I was using that last night but no, it doesn't allow you to search
message content.

The word matching function seems to be for subject line only.

I was hoping to find the message about the flight down to Florida.

We flew down in a '41 Taylorcraft to bring home a friends brand new '46
Aeronca Chief.

Richard Lamb

I thought it was under rither "Tuenbacks" or "Death of the A-65",
but can't find it.

Too bad too.

It was a pretty good "I learned about flying from that" story.

Richard
Old August 28th 07, 10:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself[_4_]

Gunny wrote:

[...]

Bless you for trying, guys.

Ok, maybe the search function does see message content - but the message
just isn't there...

I tried the search with Taylorcraft and Aeronca - just teh way Red Fred
did. But nada...

I found the one you located - but that one was posted in a non-flying
group and "sanitized" of all the jucy details.

Don't want to ruffle the grouss...

The C-85 in the Aeronca "sagged" on takeoff at Crystal River (CGC)
at 200 feet with I 75 on the right loaded bumper to bumper and a nice
tall hotel straight ahead. It was an interesting minute or two until
the engine cleared.

I'm sorry to have lost that one. It was a good detailed flight report.

Ow well, do better next time.

Richard

Old August 29th 07, 07:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Wanttaja

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 16:23:44 -0500, cavelamb himself
wrote:

Gunny wrote:

Richard,

Google located message that sounds like what you are looking for.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.s...c8d8f43dcaf37f

Bless you for trying, guys.

Ok, maybe the search function does see message content - but the message
just isn't there...

I tried the search with Taylorcraft and Aeronca - just teh way Red Fred
did. But nada...

I found the one you located - but that one was posted in a non-flying
group and "sanitized" of all the jucy details.

How about this one?

http://tinyurl.com/3d4xo2

"A couple of years back, I picked up an Aeronca Chief down in Florida and
flew it home. Real nice airplane, and a real bargain - because - the
engine wasn't all that great. Continental 85 with metal prop.

"It had been "overhauled" by one of the club members (not A.P.) and
they (the sellers) were honest about it up front. It leaked (a bit).
And they were right reasonable on the price.

"So a deal was offered, $1000 earnest money sent.

"And Leo and I went down to see?/fetch?"

RAH, 21 January 2006. Google groups advanced search for "Florida" and "Aeronca"
in the 'with all the words' box, searching rec.aviation.* from Jan 2000 to Jan
2007.

Ron Wanttaja
Old August 30th 07, 05:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself[_4_]

Ron Wanttaja wrote:

How about this one?

http://tinyurl.com/3d4xo2

"A couple of years back, I picked up an Aeronca Chief down in Florida and
flew it home. Real nice airplane, and a real bargain - because - the
engine wasn't all that great. Continental 85 with metal prop.

"It had been "overhauled" by one of the club members (not A.P.) and
they (the sellers) were honest about it up front. It leaked (a bit).
And they were right reasonable on the price.

"So a deal was offered, $1000 earnest money sent.

"And Leo and I went down to see?/fetch?"

RAH, 21 January 2006. Google groups advanced search for "Florida" and "Aeronca"
in the 'with all the words' box, searching rec.aviation.* from Jan 2000 to Jan
2007.

Ron Wanttaja

Ding!

That One!

Aw, Thanks, Ron!

Thought it was long gone....

83rd post down on a completely different thread.
Womder why my search didn't work?
(Gotta be head a space problem...)

Happy happy

Richard

History of PIC Robert M. Gary Piloting 1 April 27th 05 12:53 AM
History of the BFR? Jay Honeck Piloting 64 November 8th 04 10:12 PM
[OT] Nothing Learned From History Chris Mark Military Aviation 4 September 14th 04 07:27 PM
Another bit of history gone.... Jerry Jesion Piloting 0 August 21st 04 03:31 PM