Experimental Catagory: Pros and Cons?

Old March 8th 06, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Experimental Catagory: Pros and Cons?

The difference is whether your glider import and/or initial
airworthiness in the experimental/racing category was pre-(July 9,
1993) or post-(August 18, 1993) moratorium. See FAA Order 8130F with
latest change. Gliders are in Group I. All relevant paragraphs of the
order for the group apply to post-moratorium gliders. Post moratorium
gliders, regardless of country of construction, will have operating
limitations under this order.

Regarding the annual program letter, from paragraph 37:
(37) The owner/operator of this aircraft must submit an annual program
letter update to the
local FSDO that lists airshows, fly-ins, etc., that will be attended
during the next year, commencing at
the time this aircraft is released into phase II operation. This list
of events may be amended, as
applicable, by letter or fax to the FSDO prior to the intended
operation amendments. A copy of the
highlighted aeronautical chart, when applicable, must be carried aboard
this aircraft and be available to
the pilot.
(Applicability: All)

If it's included in the operating limitations, it's required. You
won't find this statement in pre-moratorium operating limitations.
Keep them safe and dry.

The operating limitations are part of your special airworthiness
certificate, FAA Form 8130-7. Pre-moratorium gliders have a seemingly
permanent and portable set of operating limitations. Post-moratorium
gliders airworthiness certificate does not expire, however, there are
30 day reporting requirements regarding change of address of the
registrant or for change of owner or base of operations. Since there
may be a new program letter requirement (the program letter is just a
required extension to the OL's) due to any of the above. A change of
base of operations will require a change in the operating limitations.

Frank Whiteley

Old March 8th 06, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Pre-1993 Ops Limitations are under a moratorium and do not have the
same annual program updates and change of ownership, geographic
location requirements as do post 1993 ops limitations. People, like me,
with circa 1983 ops limitations are living free and easy comparatively.
Only thing I can't do with the Nimbus is fly it in Canada, or other
location outside the lower 48.

It's all in the FAA Order 8130.2F.

Those of you operating experimental certificated aircraft of any type
that was previously US type certificated with a "different kind of
airworthiness certificate" (for instance utility of glider or 21.29)
need to carefully read part 43 again to determine applicability,
specifically 14 CFR Part 43.1(b)) (amended 1 Sep 04)

Bob C has it right.

Bottom line: part 43 remains applicable to your newly experimental
glider, in addition to the limitations contained in your ops
limitations, etc. etc. blah blah blah.

While were in the rulebook, lets read my favorite: 14 CFR part
91.403(b):

"No person may perform maintenance, preventive maintenance, or
alterations on an aircraft other than as prescribed in the subpart and
other applicable regulations, including part 43 of this chapter."

That rule is what we call an enforceable rule, because it states "No
person may"; as opposed to what we call a permissive rule, such as
91.409(c) that, effectively, exempts the requirement for an annual
inspection on an experimental aircraft (NOT the annual condition
inspection - that's a different thang).

If you're hopelessly confused by all this, don't worry, I am too ;-)

Rules, rules, rules!

Jim

Old March 8th 06, 11:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Off topic a bit, but check with your Life insurance company first. Some
don't payout if your death occurs in an "experimental" aircraft. Mine
won't!!!
Justin

Old March 9th 06, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I recently purchased life insurance at a very good rate through the AOPA
group program. I requested clarification as my Ventus is experimental
in the US but certified in Germany. The following is the response that
I received.

Mr. Backer,

This is in follow-up to the phone conversation we had on December 6, 2005.
The 50% reduction of the death benefit that is referenced in your AOPA
certificate for an aircraft that is not certified by a governmental unit,
is not strictly limited to the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).
Since your glider is certified by the LBA, which is affiliated with the
International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), a full death benefit
would be payable in the event your death occurred while operating this
aircraft.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to contact me in the
method most convenient for you and thank you for your continued interest in
our AOPA group life insurance program.

Rebekah L. Twaddle
Minnesota Life Insurance Company
Group Farm Credit
Customer Service Representative
651-665-3862

Old March 9th 06, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Jim said befo

....91.409(c) effectively exempts the requirement for an annual
inspection on an experimental aircraft (NOT the annual condition
inspection - that's a different thang).

Yes. as Michael states, Part 43 must still be complied with in this
case ("Experimental" registered aircraft that were
previously registered as "Standard"), however the annual inspection
requirement is not a 43 rule, it is a 91 rule. So, as Bob C states, one
must do the 337's, etc. comply with the performance rules in 43 and all
that other stuff, but no "annual" by an IA - just an annual condition
by an A&P.

Unless I'm wrong - that has happened upon occasion.

Please note the absence of the word "always in my posts" - I am
learning, albeit slowly.

Jim

Old March 9th 06, 05:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Good info!

I better run out and make a bunch of copies of my ops limitations!

Kirk

Old March 9th 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Do you lurk RAS all year round in the hope of finding fault with
something I post?

Old April 16th 06, 10:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default [adv] GPS_LOG 10th nniversary special

To celebrate the 10'th anniversary of the program and to answer
people's needs to support gliding software development (Andy, are you
there ?) and to answer questions as to value I put on the program
(Marta ?) I decided to sell 10th anniversary registration for the
program. For the price of $500 the buyer will get free download of the
program, free support on the GPS_LOG Yahoo discussion group, and
satisfaction of buying something.

For brief history of GPS_LOG and for the special please visit
http://www.soaringpilotsoftware.com/...aniversary.htm

Happy flying, (it's pouring here )
Henryk Birecki