twin tail questions

Old August 6th 03, 01:20 PM
Frederick Wilson

My wife even liked this one. But you know us helicopter pilots are
really good because we can handle 4 wiggly tails spinning in a circle.

My poor attempt at humor.

B2431 wrote:
Your right, the B-25 had two of those wiggly things

You have to careful of using technical terminology like that. I have seen twin
wiggly things in mony aircraft, but enough about my wife.

Rumour has it the USAF got rid of the C-121 Constelation because the newer
pilots couldn't handle 3 pieces of tail at the same time.

Dan, U. S. Air Force, retired

Old January 1st 04, 02:59 AM

On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 17:13:25 GMT, Chris W wrote:

I got such a good answer on my question about flap design I thought I
would ask another design question. why would a plane that has two
engines have two vertical stabilizers. No in the case of the Aircoupe I
always thought the reason for the twin tail was so that the helical prop
wash wouldn't induce a yaw tendency from the prop wash hitting the
vertical stabilizer/rudder. It is my understanding that the Aircoupe
was designed so you wouldn't need rudder pedals, and the twin tail I
think would have helped that. But on a twin engine, what's the point?
having two vertical stabilizers and two rudders seems significantly more
complicated both structurally and mechanically so why do it if there
isn't some advantage? There must be one I don't know about.

So many smart answers to averything but the question.
If the tail assembly is in the prop awsh, the low and no-speed
response is much greater. ie ground and taxi.
The tradeoff is the crosswind component induced by the spinning prop,
which the Ercoup didn't want, so the put the rudders outboard of the
prop and pu on a kickass main gear system to keep the thing straight.
Mr Knowital.
Old January 2nd 04, 03:21 PM
Wright1902Glider

In the case of some Navy jets, the issue was one of space. The vertical
surface area desired on a plane like an F-14 would have required a single tail
too tall to fit inside the hangar deck. Or so I have heard it explained by the
"Aviator" types.

Harry "first effective rudder" Frey
Wright 1902 glider, etc.

Pitts questions Wendy Aerobatics 7 February 13th 04 03:48 AM
Accelerated spin questions John Harper Aerobatics 7 August 15th 03 07:08 PM
Oshkosh Get together Roster - Sign in, please! Bruce E. Butts Home Built 4 July 26th 03 11:34 AM