Separating the men from the boys

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 14th 03, 04:12 AM
WaltBJ

Hmmm. We usually didn't go below 300 feet in populated areas of the US
- too many phones. But we were going up low-level to Ku-ni range in
Korea, out of Kunsan, four in loose tactical, 420 KIAS, when lead said
"Go Low!" We all squatted down on the deck and went under a high
tension line thatwasn't on our maps - Korean imporvement that hadn't
got to our level yet. We did learm to fly very low level there,
though. Came in handy flying out of DaNang. When the invasion started
in March 72 the monsoon was on - we had to skyspot and loran-drop for
a week or so. Then the weather cleared and we went up to hit a
barracks complex by Vinh. Out over the water, 420 and 200 ASL, abotu
40 miles out to sea. About halfway up we passed, on the sea side, 5
USN DDs, in line ahead. Each one was flying 2 big US flags - must have
been 25 feet long - from the yardarms. I had thought only the RN flew
battle flags. Seen against the buildups over the land, bright sun,
blue water, the sight really pumped me up! Turning inbound we pushed
it up to 500 and let down to 50 ASL. Popped in AB crossing the beach,
rolled in at 14,000 for 45 dive with release at 8000. Looked at
target, flak looked like the USN in the Battle for Okinawa only viewed
from the kamikaze side. I wished I'd figured for a release at 10 but .
.. . Eight of us dropped 6 CBU52 apiece and got out of Dodge. We all
dodged the golden bbs. The CBUs smothered the complex; never did get
any BDA.
The DDs were headed back down the coast as we RTB'd. The beautiful
sight of those ships has stayed with me all of 30+ years.
Walt BJ