rarities

Old March 27th 06, 05:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default rarities

My CFI recommended I pick up an FAA publication, and study it to
prepare for the written test: "Private Pilot Test Prep 2006 : Study and
Prepare for the Recreational and Private Airplane, Helicopter,
Gyroplane, Glider, Balloon, and Airship FAA Knowledge Exams (Test Prep
series)"

Now, some of these aircraft types are real rarities. I wonder how many
current gyroplane licences there are. And how many certified
instructors in airship operation?

I hope I can resist this mad urge to collect them all.

Johan Larson

Old March 27th 06, 11:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I used to drive past the Goodyear blimp quite regularly a few years ago.
I think it's still around somewhere - and I think there's one or two
on the East coast. Probably half a dozen CFIAs (maybe not all current).

GC

Old March 27th 06, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Every once in a while, we here at Soar Minden (and other commercial
glider operations, no doubt), get someone walking through the front
door who collects certificates. Last year it was someone who wanted a
Commercial (G), and eventually a CFI(G) even though he never intended
to instruct. As I was looking over his certificate, which included
ATP, CFII, MES and other ratings you don't often see in someone in
their early twenties, I remarked over his rating allowing him to fly
hot air balloons. He said the hardest part of the rating was finding
people who wanted to get up at 3:00 a.m. to help him lay out the
envelope and inflate it. Fortunately we don't have that problem with
sailplanes, although I have gotten up pretty early to tow some of the
guys who want to fly 2,000 kms in wave. Oh, and BTW, he left here with
his commercial. Good stick. Fred

Old March 27th 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Fred wrote:
Every once in a while, we here at Soar Minden (and other commercial
glider operations, no doubt), get someone walking through the front
door who collects certificates. Last year it was someone who wanted a
Commercial (G), and eventually a CFI(G) even though he never intended
to instruct. As I was looking over his certificate, which included
ATP, CFII, MES and other ratings you don't often see in someone in
their early twenties, I remarked over his rating allowing him to fly
hot air balloons. He said the hardest part of the rating was finding
people who wanted to get up at 3:00 a.m. to help him lay out the
envelope and inflate it. Fortunately we don't have that problem with
sailplanes, although I have gotten up pretty early to tow some of the
guys who want to fly 2,000 kms in wave. Oh, and BTW, he left here with
his commercial. Good stick. Fred

Interesting. What's the oddest thing you've ever seen on a certificate?

Johan Larson

Old March 28th 06, 02:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Probably the most memorable I've ever seen was a guy who walked it with
just about every rating known to the FAA, but no glider time! Another
good stick, I soloed him in a couple of days. He was celebrating his
82 birthday (as I recall) that same day. He didn't want a rating, just
wanted to solo a glider. Did a good job, then he and his wife jumped
on matching Harleys and took off to tour the western US. Fred

Old March 28th 06, 05:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

wrote:

What's the oddest thing you've ever seen on a certificate?

"All ratings authorized"

Jack