Dell Streak - what ROM version?

Old May 3rd 14, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Dell Streak - what ROM version?

I've had xcsoar on my Dell streak running Android 2.3.3 "Olleh" ROM for some time now and it's worked well.

However, some sort of update was applied recently via Google Play and now the Streak is very unstable - it turns itself off randomly now. I've uninstalled all updates but the problem persists. So, before I download and re-flash the ROM I thought I'd see what versions others are running and find out how stable it is.

I suppose my Streak could just be going south on me but not sure. Anyway, please post back with what versions you're running and how stable it is. Also, let me know if you use the Streak internal GPS or if you're connecting to an external GPS as the problem seems to worsen when I have GPS enabled. Thanks.

Robert
Old May 3rd 14, 10:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

running 2.3.3 olleh with a streak. No updates applied; stable. I disabled the internal gps and use an IOIO board with a PowerFLARM and LX7007 ProIGC as device b anc c. It works well. Running XC Soar 6.4.
Using the internal gps, it would... wander.
Dan
Old May 4th 14, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Hi Robert,

I'm running 2.3.7 (Cyanogen Mod 7, or CM7) which I got from the XDA
Developers online. I see that there's now a cyanogenmod.org which may be of
help but I haven't tried it. My Streak has been rock solid with CM7.

I connect my Streak to my CAI 302 via Bluetooth using a K6BT serial to
Bluetooth converter which I got through Cumulous Soaring and it works great.
I leave the internal GPS enabled as a backup should the 302 or Bluetooth
link fail. After a flight, I download the igc file to the Streak or to my
Android phone and move it to Dropbox where it's available when I get home.
I then upload to OLC and Skylines direct from Dropbox. It's too easy!

If you decide to try CM7 and can't find everything you need for the Streak
5, send me an email or post here and I'll make mine available through
Dropbox or Google Drive.

(another) Dan

Old May 5th 14, 02:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sun, 4 May 2014 09:14:22 -0600, "Dan Marotta"
wrote:

[...]

I have a K6BT serial to Bluetooth converter that I'm not using. (Works
great) If anyone is interested in buying it, send me an offer via
email.

Wayne
Old May 14th 14, 04:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bernie[_4_]

Hi Dan,
I am interested in obtaining the CM7 files; check your email for details.
Regards, Bernie.
Old May 15th 14, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Hi Bernie,

Email sent.

Dan

Old May 24th 14, 12:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, May 3, 2014 2:42:55 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I've had xcsoar on my Dell streak running Android 2.3.3 "Olleh" ROM for some time now and it's worked well.

However, some sort of update was applied recently via Google Play and now the Streak is very unstable - it turns itself off randomly now. I've uninstalled all updates but the problem persists. So, before I download and re-flash the ROM I thought I'd see what versions others are running and find out how stable it is.

I suppose my Streak could just be going south on me but not sure. Anyway, please post back with what versions you're running and how stable it is. Also, let me know if you use the Streak internal GPS or if you're connecting to an external GPS as the problem seems to worsen when I have GPS enabled. Thanks.

Robert

Well, I finally got around to upgrading the ROM to CM7 as Dan suggested - thanks Dan. No joy. The ROM itself runs great and has many very nice features that vastly improve the Olleh ROM. But, alas, as soon as I enable the internal GPS it starts rebooting as before. I'm forced to conclude that there is a HW problem with my GPS circuitry. Bummer.

Robert
Old May 24th 14, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Bummer, Dude...

On mine I use the GPS provided by my CAI302 via Bluetooth. I keep the
Streak's internal GPS as backup should the Bluetooth or 302 fail.

If you're in the USA, here's a good deal at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Unlocked-...=dell+streak+5.
There are many more.

Dan Marotta 5J