Sealant for polyethylene fuel tank?

Old March 1st 07, 07:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Rob Turk

Default Sealant for polyethylene fuel tank?

I'm looking for a sealant or kit to seal brass NPT inserts into a
polyethylene tank. This is a Kitfox header tank that has developed a leak at
one of the inserts. I'm probably going to use Mogas that has ethanol
additives. Any hints, tips, thoughts?

Thanks,
Rob

Old March 1st 07, 09:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Mar 1, 12:55 am, "Rob Turk" wrote:
I'm looking for a sealant or kit to seal brass NPT inserts into a
polyethylene tank. This is a Kitfox header tank that has developed a leak at
one of the inserts. I'm probably going to use Mogas that has ethanol
additives. Any hints, tips, thoughts?

Thanks,
Rob

ProSeal ....... or the generic =?

Take it to an RV shop and have the insert "welded" in?

Old March 2nd 07, 02:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
clare at snyder.on.ca

On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 20:37:38 GMT, Dennis Fetters

On Mar 1, 12:55 am, "Rob Turk" wrote:

I'm looking for a sealant or kit to seal brass NPT inserts into a
polyethylene tank. This is a Kitfox header tank that has developed a leak at
one of the inserts. I'm probably going to use Mogas that has ethanol
additives. Any hints, tips, thoughts?

Thanks,
Rob

Red high temperature silicon sealer. Local hardware store. Clean the
threads with alcohol and apply sealer. Lasts forever.

Except RTV is NOT gasoline resistant.

Old March 2nd 07, 04:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

clare at snyder.on.ca wrote

Except RTV is NOT gasoline resistant.

Right.

How about some welding with a pencil torch, and some cut up strips of like
plastic?

The key is to keep the fitting hot enough so the strips of plastic stay
melted onto it, and cools and hardens after the heat is taken away, and
enough heat is also applied to the tank plastic and the strips so that they
toughly melt together.

It is a fine line, getting the tank hot enough to soften, but not melt
through.

The other option that comes to mind is a fitting that is a plate with
threads in it for the fuel line fitting, installed inside the tank and
another plate on the outside the tank, with a gasket on both sides, and
screws holding them all together. That could be done second, if the dreaded
melt-through happened around the fitting. This could be manufactured at
home, if one was a bit handy, and creative.
--
Jim in NC

Old March 2nd 07, 01:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Earl

Rob said his tank had developed a leak. That would mean that there had
been gasoline in the tank. I don't think anyone would suggest welding
a used metal tank, how could it be any safer with a plasic one?

Steve in Michigan

clare at snyder.on.ca wrote

Old March 2nd 07, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Rob Turk

"Earl" wrote in message
Rob said his tank had developed a leak. That would mean that there had
been gasoline in the tank. I don't think anyone would suggest welding
a used metal tank, how could it be any safer with a plasic one?

Steve in Michigan

You got it ;-) I like flying, but not *that* kind flight...

Rob

Old March 2nd 07, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dennis Fetters

Charlie wrote:
Dennis Fetters wrote:

wrote:

On Mar 1, 12:55 am, "Rob Turk" wrote:

I'm looking for a sealant or kit to seal brass NPT inserts into a
polyethylene tank. This is a Kitfox header tank that has developed a
leak at
one of the inserts. I'm probably going to use Mogas that has ethanol
additives. Any hints, tips, thoughts?

Thanks,
Rob

Red high temperature silicon sealer. Local hardware store. Clean the
threads with alcohol and apply sealer. Lasts forever.

I'd check the label first. Last time I looked, it specifically excluded
use near gasoline.

The kinds I've seen will swell up & shed chunks into the fuel system.

Charlie

Correct Charlie. But you never use any sealant in an amount that will
transfer product into the tank.

Problem: The fellow has a polyethylene tank, which nothing likes to
stick to anyway. Add to that, it has fuel and maybe even oil in the
tank, making it worse. Can't use a sealant that hardens, it will crack
and leak.

Solution: Use RTV in a small amount on only the threads of the insert
after cleaning both the male and female parts. Install the insert so
none of the RTV goes into the tank. Allow the gas to swell the RTV
inside the threads, which helps the seal.

Right, it has drawbacks if not used correctly, but it is the only good
solution for the situation. The only other solution would be to ream the
hole out and replace the threaded insert with a Dapco rubber bushing and
insert, better anyway. You can find them at Aircraft Spruce.

Hope this helps.

Fuel tank balance Mxsmanic Piloting 101 October 3rd 06 07:56 AM
Anyone had fuel tank air vent icing up? Jim Macklin Instrument Flight Rules 3 February 28th 06 10:57 PM
fuel tank plumbing pwm Home Built 18 January 27th 05 05:54 AM
Fuel line thread sealant Paul Lee Home Built 7 February 26th 04 01:44 AM
Yo! Fuel Tank! Veeduber Home Built 15 October 25th 03 02:57 AM