Big Stick

Old September 3rd 07, 10:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
R. J. \(Bob\) Van Horn

Default Big Stick

Friend sent me pictures of restored Ford Tri-Motor. What appears to be a
mid-30's manual transmission shift lever is mounted between the pilot and
copilot's seats. He asked if I knew what it was for and I'll admit, I'm a
geezer but not that old. I haven't got a clue. Anybody out there that
might know what it's for?????

--
R. J. (Bob) Van Horn

Long Beach, California

Old September 4th 07, 12:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"R. J. (Bob) Van Horn" wrote in message
Friend sent me pictures of restored Ford Tri-Motor. What appears to be a
mid-30's manual transmission shift lever is mounted between the pilot and
copilot's seats. He asked if I knew what it was for and I'll admit, I'm a
geezer but not that old. I haven't got a clue. Anybody out there that
might know what it's for?????

--
R. J. (Bob) Van Horn

Long Beach, California

dunno what it is (but I would GUESS brake lever), but here is a picture that
shows the lever (for those of us who don't have the photo you are looking
at):

http://thehenryford.artehouse.com/pe...roductTypeID=1

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old September 4th 07, 04:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" wrote

dunno what it is (but I would GUESS brake lever), but here is a picture
that shows the lever (for those of us who don't have the photo you are
looking at):

http://thehenryford.artehouse.com/pe...roductTypeID=1

Nah, everyone know that is to shift into second gear for take-offs! g

That sucker sure does look like a gear shift, doesn't it?

How about flaps? Anyone got a picture of the overhead inside the cockpit?
If there is a flap lever up there, it wouldn't be a flap lever.

I'm going with your guess of a brake lever. As short as they can stop upon
landing, a long lever makes sense.

Of course, they never stop for the flagmen at OSH, so unless they are about
to run into something, we always just stood back and crossed our arms behind
our back and let them do what they want to! ;-)
--
Jim in NC

Old September 4th 07, 05:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
J. Severyn

"R. J. (Bob) Van Horn" wrote in message
Friend sent me pictures of restored Ford Tri-Motor. What appears to be a
mid-30's manual transmission shift lever is mounted between the pilot and
copilot's seats. He asked if I knew what it was for and I'll admit, I'm a
geezer but not that old. I haven't got a clue. Anybody out there that
might know what it's for?????

--
R. J. (Bob) Van Horn

Long Beach, California

Yep... It is the brake lever. Page 48 of the 1929 POH "Book of Instruction"
shows how it works.
Forward: No Brakes
Left and Partially back: Left Brakes
Right and Partially back: Right Brakes
Fully back in the center: Both Brakes

The POH is available for download at:
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/oth...nual-5566.html
You gotta register first and it is almost 23Mbytes long, but very
interesting.
Here are some better photos of a restored TriMotor:
http://www.ipass.net/ginkgo/N9612home.html
It is for sale.

Regards,
John Severyn

Old September 4th 07, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
R. J. \(Bob\) Van Horn

Got several replies about either shifting gears on takeoff or flushing
something enroute! Glad to see that it was the suspected brake handle and
hat rack!
Thnx to all who responded, both in the newsgroup and via email.....

--
R. J. (Bob) Van Horn

Long Beach, California
"J. Severyn" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Convince me to stick with it . . . Gary G Piloting 22 December 8th 05 04:45 PM
Stick on Bi-focals MC Soaring 0 December 6th 04 04:24 AM
Joy stick or wheel? Wally Samuelson Simulators 9 November 5th 03 01:27 AM
The F-16 control stick? Christopher Military Aviation 13 September 22nd 03 10:18 AM
Stick grips John Nicholson Home Built 17 July 23rd 03 10:13 AM