Anything new in to combat motion sickness?

Old February 3rd 07, 02:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Emerson

Default Anything new in to combat motion sickness?

Greetings,

I typically suffer from motion sickness early in the season and
sometimes on longer flights if the thermals are rough.

I have one of the electronic wrist devices. It's of some benefit, but
it's not an instant cure, at least for me.

Just curious if there are any new meds or other solutions that might be
in the works??

Gary
Old February 3rd 07, 05:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Feb 2, 6:07 pm, Gary Emerson wrote:
Greetings,

I typically suffer from motion sickness early in the season and
sometimes on longer flights if the thermals are rough.

I have one of the electronic wrist devices. It's of some benefit, but
it's not an instant cure, at least for me.

Just curious if there are any new meds or other solutions that might be
in the works??

Gary

This looks interesting. Haven't tried it. Probably crap but almost
anything is worth a try.

http://www.motioneaze.com/

MM

Old February 3rd 07, 05:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Vincent

"Gary Emerson" wrote in message
. net...
Greetings,

I typically suffer from motion sickness early in the season and sometimes
on longer flights if the thermals are rough.

I have one of the electronic wrist devices. It's of some benefit, but
it's not an instant cure, at least for me.

Just curious if there are any new meds or other solutions that might be in
the works??

Gary

I, too, have suffered early in the season. I have one of the wrist devices,
not sure whether the benefit is based on placebo or not. I have heard that
eating ginger snaps or raw ginger helps somewhat. Here's a detailed link:
http://www.umm.edu/altmed/ConsCondit...icknesscc.html

Then again, puking for the first 3-4 flights helps get rid of the pounds
gained during the course of the winter.

Old February 3rd 07, 06:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

Gary,

On your electronic "tens" type ReliefBand, be sure the tingling goes up the
center of your hand and to the middle two fingers, per the directions.

I've found the ReliefBand works fairly well on me and on my victims (pax),
but only if put on and prepped *before* the flight! Trying to get it on and
adjusted in flight, and for someone who is already experiencing symptoms,
ain't gonna work (g).

bumper

Old February 3rd 07, 09:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Alin

Jim Vincent wrote:
Just curious if there are any new meds or other solutions that might be in
the works??

Gary

I, too, have suffered early in the season. I have one of the wrist devices,
not sure whether the benefit is based on placebo or not. I have heard that
eating ginger snaps or raw ginger helps somewhat. Here's a detailed link:
http://www.umm.edu/altmed/ConsCondit...icknesscc.html

Then again, puking for the first 3-4 flights helps get rid of the pounds
gained during the course of the winter.

I heard the ginger thing, too. After getting motion sick the during the
first longer flights as passenger I tried this:

- Have some snacks with you to eat. Don't fly with empty or full
stomatch. Make also a good breakfast.
- Don't look the most times during thermaling in the center of the circle

I don't tried meds, because they usually setting down capacity of reaction.

Andreas
Old February 3rd 07, 04:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams

Sailors swear by this stuff and claim that it will
provide relief even after the sickness has started.
It is not a medication to be 'taken.' It consists
of liquid herbal extracts that are rubbed on the skin
just behind the ear.

I bought some for wife and daughter, but haven't had
opportunity to use it with them. I don't have the
problem and I can't speak first hand about its usefulness.
It is available on line and at marinas.

Old February 3rd 07, 04:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shawn

Gary Emerson wrote:
Greetings,

I typically suffer from motion sickness early in the season and
sometimes on longer flights if the thermals are rough.

I have one of the electronic wrist devices. It's of some benefit, but
it's not an instant cure, at least for me.

Just curious if there are any new meds or other solutions that might be
in the works??

I've had good luck with ginger Altoids candies. Avoid Pepperidge Farm's
banana loaf. You can guess how I know :-P

Shawn
Old February 3rd 07, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Scott

Our club has had good luck with Ginger. We've used REAL ginger ale, candied
ginger, and ginger capsules. The ginger needs to be consumed a little while
prior to the flight. Eating it while climbing into the glider seems to
reduce effectiveness.

The MythBusters did a segment on motion sickness and found Ginger to be the
only really effective non-prescription, non-drowsy inducing remedy.

John

Old February 3rd 07, 07:57 PM
Brett Brett is offline
Member

Location: New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Emerson
Greetings,

I typically suffer from motion sickness early in the season and
sometimes on longer flights if the thermals are rough.

I have one of the electronic wrist devices. It's of some benefit, but
it's not an instant cure, at least for me.

Just curious if there are any new meds or other solutions that might be
in the works??

Gary

Gary,

I am a motion-sickness sufferer & also a pharmacist. I've tried all to commercial "over the counter" remedies, & while most (drug type, not herbal) work well enough, the side effects which can include drowsiness, dry mouth & urinary retention preclude safe flying.
However, these side-effects vary widely in degree among individuals; some people notice none at all.
I suggest you try several types recommended by your pharmacist (not all at once!) while firmly on the ground & see how they affect you.
One which I have found personal success with is "Scopoderm TTS" which is a small patch (about the size of a quarter dollar) which you stick on your body the night before you fly & which will give relief from motion sickness for 72 hours. I have never felt sick with these & find them great for competitions etc where you tend to dolphin soar more than normal. I suffer no drowsiness at all with these. BUT you may be different so try before you fly.
I maintain a pilot suffering for motion sickness is a more dangerous pilot than one with a slightly dry mouth from his medication.
Good luck
Brett
Old February 3rd 07, 08:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The ONLY thing I've found that is really helpful is limiting head
movements, especially pitching movements. If I'm in the back of a
twin on a long flight with a student and start to get motion sick I
will fix my head on the headrest and only use my eyeballs to look
around. Of course I'm watching to be sure the student is keeping a
good look out. By reducing the equilibrial stimulation this way one
can greatly extend the time before motion sickness gets going in
ernest. Student gets more stick time, non flying pilot gets less SICK
time. Also a lifesaver with passengers who admit to feeling queasy.
I think this is where the "fix your eyes on the horizon" advice came
from. That doesn't do squat but avoiding looking up and down
(pitching) makes a big difference. This is why people often get sick
faster if they are taking photos. They are looking all over the place
and often through a viewfinder that exaggerates the apparent visual
motion. I've done extensive research on motion sickness with various
test subjects on our centrifuge in the back yard (playground merry-go-
round). I promise you can endure longer if you sit and keep your head
still then if you move around.

MM