NY VFR corridor TFR - how does this help?

Old October 14th 06, 11:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

Default NY VFR corridor TFR - how does this help?

So now fixed-wing aircraft must be "UNLESS AUTHORIZED AND BEING CONTROLLED
BY ATC" in that particular corridor.

This helps how?

Does anyone know which radar(s) has coverage of the area? If it is a typical
terminal radar, then ATC will be dealing with returns that are, on average,
at least 3.5 seconds old. How is ATC going to prevent anyone from getting into
a situation where they can't out turn or out climb obstacles?

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old October 14th 06, 11:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gary Drescher

"Bob Noel" wrote in message
So now fixed-wing aircraft must be "UNLESS AUTHORIZED AND BEING CONTROLLED
BY ATC" in that particular corridor.

This helps how?

Does anyone know which radar(s) has coverage of the area? If it is a
typical
terminal radar, then ATC will be dealing with returns that are, on
average,
at least 3.5 seconds old. How is ATC going to prevent anyone from getting
into
a situation where they can't out turn or out climb obstacles?

I believe the idea is that ATC won't clear you into the East River unless
they can clear you to continue into LGA's Class B. That way you never have
to make the U-turn.

So this regulation does indeed address the problem.

--Gary

Old October 14th 06, 11:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gary Drescher

"Greg Farris" wrote in message
If it forces a few people to talk to ATC who didn't want to, well what
would be
a sound, responsible justification for wanting to fly through the middle
of NYC
at 1000ft WITHOUT talking to anyone?

There's certainly a good reason not to talk to ATC: if you're below their
radar coverage, you might prefer be on the common traffic frequency (there's
one for the Hudson and one for the East River) so you can announce your
position and hear other pilots' announcements.

--Gary

Old October 14th 06, 01:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Bob Noel writes:

So now fixed-wing aircraft must be "UNLESS AUTHORIZED AND BEING CONTROLLED
BY ATC" in that particular corridor.

This helps how?

It doesn't.

Does anyone know which radar(s) has coverage of the area? If it is a typical
terminal radar, then ATC will be dealing with returns that are, on average,
at least 3.5 seconds old. How is ATC going to prevent anyone from getting into
a situation where they can't out turn or out climb obstacles?

It isn't.

This is just a political move.

Old October 14th 06, 01:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Greg Farris writes:

If it calms the anti-GA rhetoric, IT HELPS.

What if another accident occurs?

If it forces a few people to talk to ATC who didn't want to, well what would be
a sound, responsible justification for wanting to fly through the middle of NYC
at 1000ft WITHOUT talking to anyone?

I don't think it's a bad idea to be in contact with ATC; in fact, I'm
surprised that anyone would want to fly through such a crowded area
without talking to anyone. But requiring ATC contact won't prevent
this type of accident.

Old October 14th 06, 01:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
me[_1_]

Gary

I agree with your view and also agree that it is not overly restrictive..

Old October 14th 06, 06:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Joe Johnson

"Gary Drescher" wrote in message
. ..

There's certainly a good reason not to talk to ATC: if you're below their
radar coverage, you might prefer be on the common traffic frequency

(there's
one for the Hudson and one for the East River) so you can announce your
position and hear other pilots' announcements.

--Gary

Hi Gary. I completely agree with this. It's only in class B that the
controllers have the obligation to separate all air traffice, VFR as well as
IFR. If I'm in the class E, I'd rather be talking to the other traffic so I
know their intentions.

Beyond that, I feel compelled to say that throughout this sorry episode,
your posts have have had the best, no-nonsense information and insights, and
I thank you for that.

Old October 14th 06, 07:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Guy Elden Jr

Gary Drescher wrote:
I believe the idea is that ATC won't clear you into the East River unless
they can clear you to continue into LGA's Class B. That way you never have
to make the U-turn.

I suppose this could work as long as arrivals are using runway 31, or
departures are using 13. Since this is just a NOTAM for now, and the
NOTAM doesn't say anything about changing the boundaries of the Class B
airspace, is it possible for a plane flying the East River corridor at
1000 feet (outside of the B airspace), who is talking to LGA tower, to
be allowed to continue north of the approach path, even if there is
conflicting traffic arriving or departing? Technically it isn't
positive control airspace, so the only separation services ATC is
required to give is IFR - IFR. VFR still has the see and avoid mandate.

I personally won't bother flying the East River corridor as I think
it's too tight for comfort. I did have a nice flight down the river at
8,000 feet a few years ago however. That is also outside of the Class
B, but I called up NY Approach anyway and was handled very
efficiently... flew south to about Governor's Island, then descended
through the Class B as I turned around north to fly up the Hudson. As I
got lower, I was cleared to the west direct to Caldwell to land. Only
instructions ATC really ever gave me was caution for the Boeing 7x7
departing LGA/EWR. Other than that, it was a piece of cake.

--
Guy