Neil Armstrong, Glider Pilot, Dies at 82

Old August 25th 12, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster

Default Neil Armstrong, Glider Pilot, Dies at 82

Some glider pilots have mentioned flying with him at one time or
another. Any anecdotes anyone can share?
Old August 26th 12, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster

Here are some gleanings from his life; forgive any errors:

Paul Bickle loaned him a ship for his first glider flight at
Inyokern, CA.

At the 1964 Marfa Soaring Camp, he flew Silver C distance on July 19.
On July 20th, he flew his Silver C altitude July 20, 1964 completing
the Silver C badge exactly 5 years to the day before his moon landing.

1964 Gold Distance and Diamond Goal; 194 miles from San Angelo, TX to
Roby and return.
Gold Badge #217 awarded, Jan 1965.

Dec. 18 1965 wave flight Colorado Springs, CO. in a 1-26 to 22,800
feet. I think this was his Diamond Altitude at Black Forest, 3 months
before his Gemini 8 spaceflight.

SSA Member

1967 International Team Fund donor

1997 World Championship donor

Attended 1970 WGC in Marfa

Ron Tabery had his first instructive flight with Armstrong.

Recertified glider endorsement ~2005 at age of 75

2005 CBS 60 Minute interview with Armstrong, look for the plug on
soaring in a Grob 103 near the end:
Old August 26th 12, 03:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Saturday, August 25, 2012 6:51:22 PM UTC-6, Duster wrote:
[...]

Over the years I've heard of three gliders he may have owned. I believe one is in NM, another in AZ, and one in WA. Of course, there may have been some re-sales and movement affecting the count. IIRC, I've heard 1-26, Libelle, and Cirrus. Brad Hill reports the 1-26 is in WA.

See Gary Adams FB
https://www.facebook.com/gary.adams.54966

Old August 26th 12, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Adams

I had the pleasure of knowing him as just a member of the community and as the Dad of one of my students, in Lebanon, Ohio, where I lived at the time. Here are the words I wrote yesterday on learning of his passing.

"I learned to fly at Lebanon/Warren Co. airport in Lebanon, Ohio. One fall evening in 1975, while working on my SGS1-26, I was introduced to a "farmer" whose farm bordered the airport. John Lane, the apt. manager, introduced him to me as another teacher, saying he was a science teacher at the University of Cincinnati and a member of the airport board. Over the next 4 years I got to know the gentleman as a fellow glider pilot, supportive parent, and alumni member of the Purdue Band. 3 years later, I was hired to be the band director at LHS and got to know the family better through his son Mark, a talented Senior. Everytime we met in town or at school the teacher/farmer and I talked about nothing more than band, his old Libelle, my new ASW-20, or school.....never about events 10 years ealier when he became the first man to walk on the moon.....Neil Armstrong was a quiet, humble, gracious man who enjoyed the anonymity of our little town where he could just be allowed to be himself, shop, farm, and live. Good person, good pilot, good dad. God speed Mr. Armstrong on your new journey."

Old August 26th 12, 06:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ross Briegleb

At 21:31 25 August 2012, Duster wrote:
Some glider pilots have mentioned flying with him at one time or
another. Any anecdotes anyone can share?
Paul Bikle brought Neil Armstrong and Gus Grissom out to El Mirage in the

early 60's. I checked them out in a TG-3 so they
could better follow the tow plane (DC-3) while flying the
lifting body (M2-F1) we built for NASA in our shop.
I always enjoyed checking out people who didn't need to be
shown something twice. RB
Ross Briegleb

Old August 26th 12, 06:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Adams

From a post I wrote yesterday when I learned of his passing"

[...]

Gary Adams - GB

Old August 27th 12, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RRK

Just get this from Poland:

President of Aeroclub of Poland and all Polish Medalists of Uvalde Championships, officially declared that they are dedicating all their victories and Medals to the memory of late Neil Armstrong.

Old August 27th 12, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, August 25, 2012 3:31:27 PM UTC-6, Duster wrote:
Some glider pilots have mentioned flying with him at one time or another. Any anecdotes anyone can share?

He was one of several partners in a Std. Libelle, sn 80. My understanding is that he did not fly it very much. There are only about 75 hours total on it. It was in storage for many years. It is named Eagle II and I believe there was a picture in Soaring showing Mr. Armstrong and the glider.

Presently it is here in Moriarty where I am, too slowly, getting it back to airworthy condition for it current owner. There is no damage history and everything in it is original, it is a time capsule.

Robert Mudd
Compisite Aircraft Repair LLC
Moriarty, NM
Old August 27th 12, 03:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, August 25, 2012 2:31:27 PM UTC-7, Duster wrote:
Some glider pilots have mentioned flying with him at one time or

another. Any anecdotes anyone can share?

In 1970, the year after Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin's historic moon landing, Neil Armstrong showed up at the World Soaring Championships in Marfa. He flew in with a small group in a Beechcraft King Air (I think). He graciously autographed my contest program (which I treasure). The Libelle that Robert Mudd refers to was in the hangar at Marfa, unassembled. A few of us watched (in awe), Neil and some others discussed which wing of the Libelle should go on first during assembly.
I was all of 17 at the time, but my father had owned a Libelle for ten years at the time, and I stepped up to let them know that the LEFT wing goes on first, and why.
They graciously accepted my advice and continued assembly of the Libelle putting the left wing on first. I admit that this is a small story, but I was honored to have my small brush with this great man.
Russ Owens
Old August 27th 12, 03:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, August 25, 2012 2:31:27 PM UTC-7, Duster wrote:
Some glider pilots have mentioned flying with him at one time or

another. Any anecdotes anyone can share?

Oops. My story at Marfa, Texas was two years after my dad's Libelle delivery.

Glider pilot tries & dies (flying under a bridge) Karen Soaring 3 November 10th 10 07:57 PM
NASA Apollo 11 astronauts left to right are Neil A Armstrong, Michael Collins, Edwin E 'Buzz' Aldrin 8903695.jpg [email protected] Aviation Photos 1 April 10th 07 08:14 PM
Neil A Armstrong Undergoes Communications Systems Final Check 6900844.jpg [email protected] Aviation Photos 0 April 10th 07 04:54 PM
Glider pilot dies in crash Mal Soaring 0 September 17th 06 01:13 PM
Neil Armstrong on CBS [email protected] Soaring 1 November 10th 05 02:07 PM