Garmin 496 Training

Old November 17th 06, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.products
Doug[_1_]

Default Garmin 496 Training

Interesting. One thing I noticed, a USB port? I certainly hope they did
not use that standard USB plug. It does not lock on and comes undone
with any movement at all, and in an airplane you would certainly have
movement.

There is a wealth of devices out there.

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:
"Morgans" wrote in message

"Doug" wrote in message
oups.com...
Yes, but are they SATELLITE to receiver weather? Does any other vendor
use the XMradio satellite weather data?

Yes.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo.../fl210True.php

Old November 17th 06, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.products
Sam Spade

Doug wrote:
Interesting. One thing I noticed, a USB port? I certainly hope they did
not use that standard USB plug. It does not lock on and comes undone
with any movement at all, and in an airplane you would certainly have
movement.

Not to mention all the dangling wires shown in the vendor's photos of
typical cockpits. Dangling wires and IFR just don't do well together.
Old November 17th 06, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.products
Peter Clark

On 16 Nov 2006 18:24:16 -0800, "Doug"
wrote:

Yes, but are they SATELLITE to receiver weather? Does any other vendor
use the XMradio satellite weather data?

Doesn't WSI now have a satellite system, or are they just using
wxworx?
Old November 17th 06, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.products
Kobra

The 496's screen is very
restrictive in what it can show, by comparison.

Jay,

If I were you I'd borrow someone's 396/496, mount it on your yoke as
pictured in your photo. I think after 2 or 3 flights you won't be
complaining about the screen size. All the cardinal information is fit
nicely into that screen without having to squint.

If you need to see further out in front of you just zoom out. I don't think
what is important is the size as much as the resolution...and the resolution
on the x96's is pretty darn good.

Kobra

Old November 18th 06, 12:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.products
Morgans[_2_]

"Kobra" wrote

Jay,

If I were you I'd borrow someone's 396/496, mount it on your yoke as
pictured in your photo. I think after 2 or 3 flights you won't be
complaining about the screen size.

He has his own 496, already.
--
Jim in NC
Old November 18th 06, 12:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.products
Jay Honeck

The 496's screen is very
restrictive in what it can show, by comparison.

If I were you I'd borrow someone's 396/496, mount it on your yoke as
pictured in your photo. I think after 2 or 3 flights you won't be
complaining about the screen size. All the cardinal information is fit
nicely into that screen without having to squint.

Actually, I own the 496, and have it mounted on the co-pilot's yoke
(since it requires so much "head-down" time, we put it over there).
For the pilot we have a Lowrance 2000c, which IMHO is a superior basic
moving map GPS.

We have flown quite a few hours with the 496 since purchasing it at
OSH, and have been very disappointed with its diminutive size. I
thought we would get used to it, but neither Mary nor I have. The
bottom line is that once you've flown with a good-sized GPS like the
AvMap, it's just very hard to go back to a dinky screen.

I love having the weather, though. For that reason alone it was a
worthwhile trade, going from the AvMap to the 496 -- but it's just too
bad that we have to choose between size and weather. You'd think that
for almost three grand we could do better.

Incidentally, if the stars ever align properly (weather, my schedule,
and shop schedule) I am having the 496 installed into an AirGizmo
"panel dock" -- which will essentially turn it into a panel-mounted
GPS. At the same time we're having the 496's XM radio output routed
into our intercom, and all that nasty wiring (XM satellite antenna, GPS
antenna, power cord, and XM music-to-intercom wiring) will disappear.
It'll be nice to have the co-pilot's yoke back, and all that
gobbledygook wiring gone.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 18th 06, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.products
Al G[_1_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
The 496's screen is very
restrictive in what it can show, by comparison.

snip

Incidentally, if the stars ever align properly (weather, my schedule,
and shop schedule) I am having the 496 installed into an AirGizmo
"panel dock" -- which will essentially turn it into a panel-mounted
GPS.

Just a quick note, get the "panel dock" with the "angle" built in so the
Pilot can see it. I fly a P210, with a 496 in the standard panel mount on
the right side. The co-pilot can see it, but the pilot can't.

Al G

Old November 18th 06, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.products
Sam Spade

wrote:

Yes, but are they SATELLITE to receiver weather? Does any other vendor
use the XMradio satellite weather data?

Doesn't WSI now have a satellite system, or are they just using
wxworx?

Info on WSI. They are switching to Sirius.

http://tinyurl.com/yms3zw
Old November 18th 06, 05:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.products
Jay Honeck

Just a quick note, get the "panel dock" with the "angle" built in so the
Pilot can see it. I fly a P210, with a 496 in the standard panel mount on
the right side. The co-pilot can see it, but the pilot can't.

Roger that. I've got the angle piece from AirGizmos -- just waiting to
have it installed.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 18th 06, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.products
Doug[_1_]

My experience with the handheld computers (and laptops) is they are not
as good as the dedicated handhelds (garmin etc). Mainly becuae the
garmins are made to be operated in an aircraft environment. The others
have chord, display, and button problems that are not idealized for the
pilot.