Ventus rigging advice, please?

Old June 28th 19, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

Default Ventus rigging advice, please?

On Thursday, June 27, 2019 at 2:35:38 PM UTC-7, Martin Gregorie wrote:

Not even that. Its single pin vs two pin spar designs. I've flown and
rigged both, single pin (Discus, Libelle, SZD Junior) and two-pin
(Pegase, ASW-20).

For my money a two-pin system is easier to rig because, once both wings
are fully home on the drag pins its just a matter of moving a tip up or
down until the first wing pin slips in. Then the second pin usually just
slides in without fuss.

By contrast, with a single pin system you have six or seven pins to line
up exactly (drag pins on both wings plus the two or three spigots on the
spar ends) before both wings will fit far enough in for you to even think
of putting the main pin in. This often involves considerable faffing
about and strange mutterings. Then the main pin goes in without any
trouble. FWIW Libelles and Kestrels can be easier to rig than SH gliders
because all pins and sockets are out in the open.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Agreed, Martin. Possibly the same with a JS3, since due to space constraints it uses the one pin and more-to-align technique. At least with the JS3 a side-hinged canopy isn't in the way.

Tim, please explain the brute force bit.
Is it the brutal hydraulic trailer ramp jack used to align the second spar pin? I really miss that simple assembly technique on the Duo.
Jim
Old June 28th 19, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

On Friday, 28 June 2019 00:17:03 UTC+3, Tim Taylor wrote:
Nothing wrong with SH, it just takes skill rather than brute force to rig one.

Yes it takes skill or bag of tricks which is not needed with 2 pin wing.

Old June 28th 19, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, June 28, 2019 at 5:58:25 PM UTC+1, krasw wrote:
On Friday, 28 June 2019 00:17:03 UTC+3, Tim Taylor wrote:
Nothing wrong with SH, it just takes skill rather than brute force to rig one.

Yes it takes skill or bag of tricks which is not needed with 2 pin wing.

I remain to be convinced about that as a generalisation. My ex-JS1c and current ASH 26e with 2 non-tapered pins need to be incredibly accurately aligned to get the pins in and can sometimes can be very frustrating. OTOH a previous LS7 with 2 x well tapered pins was very easy. I have had 5 single pin SH gliders (and a 6th soon) and all were fine to rig albeit a bit tight for the first few riggings if new.
Old June 28th 19, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, June 25, 2019 at 5:00:05 AM UTC-4, John McLaughlin wrote:
I've recently started flying a Ventus2. I can't rig the thing without a lot
of
struggle. The trouble is, there's a cover above the spars and you can't see

anything once the first wing is in.

I struggle to get the second wing to fit, never knowing whether it's a bit
too
high or a bit too low. The ground is uneven and sloping, which doesn't
help.

I hope some Ventus owners can give me some tips, please?

All about technique
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcRipsiPgdk
UH
Old June 28th 19, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

On Friday, June 28, 2019 at 12:54:02 PM UTC-6, wrote:
On Tuesday, June 25, 2019 at 5:00:05 AM UTC-4, John McLaughlin wrote:
I've recently started flying a Ventus2. I can't rig the thing without a lot
of
struggle. The trouble is, there's a cover above the spars and you can't see

anything once the first wing is in.

I struggle to get the second wing to fit, never knowing whether it's a bit
too
high or a bit too low. The ground is uneven and sloping, which doesn't
help.

I hope some Ventus owners can give me some tips, please?

All about technique
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcRipsiPgdk
UH

That was impressive!

Mike
Old June 29th 19, 04:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

It gets better. I've been solo rigging almost every time since 1982 when I built my first WingMate for my LS-3, knowing my mother would never make it thru a full Nationals crewing for me without some help.

But my REAL first solo rigging was with some foam pads, one conventional wingstand, and the hood of our car. My father wasn't around to help me assemble our Libelle 201--or to stop me from experimenting. I can't recall whether I told him what I'd done or not.

Chip Bearden
JB
Old June 29th 19, 08:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathon May

McLaughlin wrote:
[...]

`````````remember this!

https://youtu.be/Huk_WOxk1oc

Old June 29th 19, 03:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

That was really fun to watch!Â* ...But I would personally want to wiggle
everything before launching...

McLaughlin wrote:
[...]

Dan, 5J
Old June 30th 19, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ernst

Poisitve control check?

`````````remember this!

https://youtu.be/Huk_WOxk1oc

Old June 30th 19, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"The trouble is, there's a cover above the spars and you can't see
anything once the first wing is in."

On mine, the cover slides back further to fit behind the spars.

Might be worth making sure there is no gap behind your's.

ventus rigging visual clues [email protected] Soaring 13 May 3rd 18 12:08 PM
Ka-6 Rigging vontresc Soaring 19 August 14th 08 04:55 AM
Ventus C rigging James Hamilton Soaring 8 July 7th 06 08:30 AM
Ventus C rigging James Hamilton Soaring 0 July 6th 06 07:41 PM
ski rigging Drew Dalgleish Home Built 3 December 3rd 03 04:16 AM