Mistral-C vs DG-100

Old July 26th 19, 08:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
calin fagarasanu

Default Mistral-C vs DG-100

Hi all!
I know this kind of subject is boring and the gliders are old news but I am unable to decide which one to buy hence I am asking for help. There are so many other types but because I don't want to loose myself in too many details, I'd appreciate if you could help me compare this two only.

On one hand Mistral-C is:

+stable
+has a safe elevator
+has good visibility
+has both launching hooks
+some aerobatic ability
+easy rigging
but
-the landing gear is very close to the belly and I'm afraid it will be damaged in case of out-landing
-demand is not too high in case decide to sell

Unknowns:
Gel-coat resistance
Spare parts availability
Autonomy - how far can it fly

On the other hand DG-100 is:
+well known with still some demand (not sure)
+maintenance is there
+good gel-coat
+landing gear clearance is high
+better index +4
but
-visibility is poor for the 2 piece canopy (this is what I've found and for my budget)
-has all moving tail which I never flew and understand it is a safety concern
-belly hook only

Please add to this list.
Thank you,
Calin

Old July 27th 19, 07:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

On Friday, July 26, 2019 at 1:39:43 PM UTC-6, calin fagarasanu wrote:
[...]

My DG100 did not have a full flying stab, but I owned a sailplane that did (Phoebus C) and it was not a problem. I never thought my two piece canopy gave me poor visibility, and the CG hook was not a problem. I do not know anything about a Mistral C, but the DG is a good sailplane and very comfortable. I would arrange for a test flight before finalizing the deal though.

Good luck Calin.

Mike
Old July 27th 19, 07:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt McBee

I have a DG-101 with conventional tail and one piece canopy. I can say that aerotow with the CG hook has been a total non-issue for me so far. Takeoffs are easy, just remember to follow the flight manual’s guidance. I mine, the trim should be set full forward for takeoff. I don’t know if this is true for the -100.

I have found the -101 to be a docile and responsive glider with very gentle and forgiving stall characteristics.

The airbrakes are only moderately effective, however.

Matt
Old July 28th 19, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, July 27, 2019 at 7:28:31 PM UTC+1, Matt McBee wrote:
I have a DG-101 with conventional tail and one piece canopy. I can say that aerotow with the CG hook has been a total non-issue for me so far. Takeoffs are easy, just remember to follow the flight manual’s guidance. I mine, the trim should be set full forward for takeoff. I don’t know if this is true for the -100.

I have found the -101 to be a docile and responsive glider with very gentle and forgiving stall characteristics.

The airbrakes are only moderately effective, however.

Matt

The most important thing about buying a glider is to buy one that you know from reputation will sell well when you decide to upgrade - which you will at some stage as long as you stay in the sport. The glider market is pretty knowledeable so a glider that keeps it value does so for good reasons and when a glider type doesnt have that good reputation then there are also good reasons for it. Clues often are things like it not having sold many examples from new or coming from a factory that is no longer in business. Speaking as one whose first GRP glider was a Diamant 18 - but it was OK in the end because one of my syndicate partners wrote it off (shame about his fractured leg 'though)
Old August 15th 19, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Well, for the DG-100 you'll have to pay a subscription every year to get any service from the DG factory...

The Type Certificate for the Mistral C is now owned by Eichelsdorfer. You'll find the PDF Flight Manual (in German) here https://www.flugzeug-eichelsdoerfer.de/service.html
Old August 15th 19, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I owned Mistral-C now own DG300.

Buy DG-100. It will outperform Mistral visibly.
Try cockpit for visibility but bear in mind many people fly with such canopies (not only dg100) and it is a non issue for them.

Mistral has manual connectors (not sure if dg100 is automatic).

Old August 16th 19, 02:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Senna Van den Bosch

Op donderdag 15 augustus 2019 20:21:46 UTC+2 schreef :
I owned Mistral-C now own DG300.

Buy DG-100. It will outperform Mistral visibly.
Try cockpit for visibility but bear in mind many people fly with such canopies (not only dg100) and it is a non issue for them.

Mistral has manual connectors (not sure if dg100 is automatic).

The DG-100 has l'hotellier connections, I fitted sleeves on mine this winter instead of those small pins for much easier rigging.
Old August 16th 19, 02:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Senna Van den Bosch

Op zaterdag 27 juli 2019 20:28:31 UTC+2 schreef Matt McBee:
I have a DG-101 with conventional tail and one piece canopy. I can say that aerotow with the CG hook has been a total non-issue for me so far. Takeoffs are easy, just remember to follow the flight manual’s guidance. I mine, the trim should be set full forward for takeoff. I don’t know if this is true for the -100.

I have found the -101 to be a docile and responsive glider with very gentle and forgiving stall characteristics.

The airbrakes are only moderately effective, however.

Matt

This is true for my DG-101 as well. I don't weigh much so on takeoff roll it set the trim full forward until I reach about 20m above ground and 100+ km/h, I set my trim halfway, to get the extra pitch from the trim tab.
Old August 20th 19, 10:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Quebec

Any belly hook DG needs full down trim for takeoff. Nose hook not so much.
Old August 21st 19, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surge

On Friday, 26 July 2019 21:39:43 UTC+2, calin fagarasanu wrote:
-has all moving tail which I never flew and understand it is a safety concern

An all flying elevator should really only be a safety concern if you're a ham-fisted pilot.
They're a great way to cure "stick shaker" pilots of their bad habit.

If you're mentally prepared to use small elevator movements for the first couple of flights and pick a nice day without gusty conditions you should be fine.
It took me about 30 minutes of the first flight to get used to the Nimbus 2 all flying elevator.

MISTRAL -C manuals SP[_3_] Soaring 0 January 18th 14 12:47 AM
MAE : mistral jmp Aviation Photos 0 March 20th 08 10:44 PM
MAE : mistral jmp Aviation Photos 0 March 20th 08 10:30 PM
MAE : mistral jmp Aviation Photos 0 March 20th 08 10:28 PM
Mistral C [email protected] Soaring 1 October 23rd 07 08:30 PM