Pilatus B4?

Old August 3rd 19, 12:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Terry Pitts

Default Pilatus B4?

I have periodically seen Pilatus B4s for sale. Mostly in the mid-teen price range. There was one in Germany a couple years ago for $5,500 w/o a trailer - THAT wasn't going to work!

I have come to enjoy glider aerobatics. I live in Augusta, GA. If someone were to have a Pilatus they wanted to sell, I could be interested in buying one.

I don't want to pay a huge premium to convince someone to part with their "family heirloom, Oshkosh best of show, little old lady only did aeros on Sunday" but I'm sure there are underused/unused gliders out there not too far from Georgia that someone just hasn't gotten around to listing for sale yet.
Old August 4th 19, 06:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_1_]

B4 is a great ship for acro but not X-C. Might also look at the 13/15m Acro Jantar. God for both.
Old August 4th 19, 07:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Steve Diehl at Miami Gliders was ruminating sale of theirs...
Old August 4th 19, 11:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On the PZL Allstar website they say 17m tips for the SZD-59 "coming soon" http://szd.com.pl/en/products/szd-59-1-acro
Old August 4th 19, 12:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathon May

wrote:
B4 is a great ship for acro but not X-C. Might also look at the

13/15m
Acro Jantar. God for both.

On the PZL Allstar website they say 17m tips for the SZD-59

"coming soon"
http://szd.com.pl/en/products/szd-59-1-acro

I don't think all B4s are the same spec.
I think some have more stiffening in the boom to allow flick
manoeuvres .
I flew xc in one in the 90's when my ship was damaged, nice to fly.
But not easy to repair if you bend it.

Old August 4th 19, 01:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Saturday, August 3, 2019 at 7:51:39 AM UTC-4, Terry Pitts wrote:
I have periodically seen Pilatus B4s for sale. Mostly in the mid-teen price range. There was one in Germany a couple years ago for $5,500 w/o a trailer - THAT wasn't going to work!

I have come to enjoy glider aerobatics. I live in Augusta, GA. If someone were to have a Pilatus they wanted to sell, I could be interested in buying one.

I don't want to pay a huge premium to convince someone to part with their "family heirloom, Oshkosh best of show, little old lady only did aeros on Sunday" but I'm sure there are underused/unused gliders out there not too far from Georgia that someone just hasn't gotten around to listing for sale yet.

A Swift and a Fox are an order of magnitude out of my price range. My club has an ASK-21 I do some aerobatic training in.

I'm looking at a non-aerobatic single seater in the same price range and thought I'd ask about B4s before spending money and then "the perfect Pilatus" shows up on Wings and Wheels! I can best be reached at my Yahoo address of ltcterry2006 and you know the rest.

Thanks!

Terry

Terry - if you are looking for a decent combination between aerobatics and XC-capabilities, I would add the H101 'Salto' to the list. I flew one for a summer and actually did my first 300km triangle in it. Later models were available with wingtips boosting the wingspan to slightly over 15m (don't even ask why!). The V-tail is absolutely no problem in flight.
I also flew a B4 and can tell you that the H101 is the better XC performer!
The only limitation is the size the pilot can be. I am 6-1 and did fit well but much taller folks may have a problem.
Finding one that is for sale may as difficult than finding a B4 ...

Uli
'AS'
Old August 4th 19, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.

There was a Salto on W&W about a week or so ago. Not sure if it's still there...
Old August 4th 19, 07:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WB

Be aware that B4’s have had some corrosion problems in the wings. This is very difficult or impossible to repair. B4s also have foam ribs in the wings that mice love to tunnel through. I have seen B4 wings with buckets of chewed up blue foam falling out of the wing roots. Lastly, having asked a number of B4 owners their opinion of the plane, I can summarize their responses as “Meh”.
Old August 4th 19, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Speak for yourself. I owned n flew a B4 for 4 years and did about a thousand miles xc in her. They climb fine, run about as good as a 33/1 glider would but limited penetration into wind. It will however land on a postage stamp and are pretty rugged. I outlanded mine numerous times all over NV, and nary a ding.
Old August 5th 19, 07:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Yes, there are two different models as far as structure and which aerobatics are permitted...