Colibri II *.hdr file software

Old August 7th 19, 01:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
M S

Default Colibri II *.hdr file software

Apparently there is a difference between setting a task and making a
declaration in a Colibri II. I can import a task easily enough from a
*.cup file, and modify it on the logger. It leads me around the task as it
should, bleeps at the turnpoints, and directs me to the next one.

If however, I decide to take a few detours for fun, the C records appear on
the IGC file at points that look like the OLC trace, and the task seems to
have been forgotten.

By the manual, it appears I need PC software to generate a declaration
header *.hdr file to put on the SD card, where it can be loaded. USB
connection to the logger is not supported, even though a USB connector is
used for the power and data interface that converts TTL levels of serial
communication to RS232.

I don't have any of the devices claimed to declare to these loggers, so I
do need the PC software. The LX-NAvigation LXe software does not generate
files that can be saved to an SD card, but I'm under the impression that it
has done so in previous versions.

I can find NOTHING about the *.hdr software anywhere, and LX-Navigation and
a North American dealer that still sell Colibri II's have not replied to my
queries. I don't know anyone else that has a Colibri II.

Does anyone have this declaration header *.hdr software?

Thanks!

Old August 7th 19, 02:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Wednesday, August 7, 2019 at 9:00:06 AM UTC-4, M S wrote:
[...]

You might want to look at the Approval Document at http://www.ukiws.demon.co.uk/GFAC/igc_approved_frs.pdf ; in particular, para A5 talks about declarations.

What version Colibri firmware do you have (you see it in .IGC file)
What version LXe software?
What analysis software do you run (StrePla, SeeYou, other?)
Where in the world are you?

Old August 7th 19, 05:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
M S

Thanks for the reply;

I should add that the igc file validates

At 13:34 07 August 2019, Dan Daly wrote:
SNIP
You might want to look at the Approval Document at
http://www.ukiws.demon.co.uk/GFAC/igc_approved_frs.pdf ; in particular,

para A5 talks about declarations.

I don't see a paragraph A5. Please let me know if this was the correct
link.

What version Colibri firmware do you have (you see it in .IGC file)

HFRFWFIRMWAREVERSION:1.9
HFRHWHARDWAREVERSION:2.3
HFFTYFRTYPE:LXNAVIGATION,LX_Colibri_II

What version LXe software?

Tried the latest on the site: 3.5.0.1 May 18, 2009
In trying to create the file, there isn't a "save" button, only a "send"
button, which responds, "No response from Instrument" That's no surprise
because the manual says an SD card is required.

What analysis software do you run (StrePla, SeeYou, other?)

See-You Version 3.95 (Build 2010-04-01) (I can read the C records as
described with a text editor) See-you displays what the file says.

Where in the world are you?

Southern Ontario, Canada

:-) Thanks!

Old August 7th 19, 08:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Wednesday, August 7, 2019 at 1:00:06 PM UTC-4, M S wrote:
Thanks for the reply;

I should add that the igc file validates

At 13:34 07 August 2019, Dan Daly wrote:
SNIP
You might want to look at the Approval Document at
http://www.ukiws.demon.co.uk/GFAC/igc_approved_frs.pdf ; in particular,

para A5 talks about declarations.

I don't see a paragraph A5. Please let me know if this was the correct
link.
What version Colibri firmware do you have (you see it in .IGC file)

HFRFWFIRMWAREVERSION:1.9 - agree this is the latest
HFRHWHARDWAREVERSION:2.3
HFFTYFRTYPE:LXNAVIGATION,LX_Colibri_II

What version LXe software?

Tried the latest on the site: 3.5.0.1 May 18, 2009

Agree this is latest.

In trying to create the file, there isn't a "save" button, only a "send"
button, which responds, "No response from Instrument" That's no surprise
because the manual says an SD card is required.

What analysis software do you run (StrePla, SeeYou, other?)

See-You Version 3.95 (Build 2010-04-01) (I can read the C records as
described with a text editor) See-you displays what the file says.

Where in the world are you?

Southern Ontario, Canada

:-) Thanks!

Pilot and OO instruction file. Go to line 40 - LX Navigation Colibri II.. Open link on right hand side and read it.

I downloaded LXe, inserted a waypoint .da4 file, and built a task. I don't have a Colibri, but at this point with the LX 7007, you'd power on the 7007 and then connect the Flight Recorder to the computer through a USB-Serial Converter. LXe then "sees" the FR, serial number, etc, and you push send.

Two ways to do it:
1. In the SeeYou edit pulldown there is an item "Send to SD". If you have your task highlighted, it should do send it to a connected SD card (I assume, formatted LX). Doesn't need to be connected to the Flight Recorder.
2. You can use the Connection Wizard, browse to your task, fill out the info, select upload declaration (not task), and send it to the connected LX device.

I include a .hdr file I sent to my LX7007 using method 1 before I got the SD card working. Note if you open it in a text editor it isn't clean. Probably the LX formatting.

I will send pics of each via e-mail. SeeYou 3.95 is getting pretty old; it may look different. I use 8.11, and that's a couple of years old. 10.1 was released in June...

Dan

Old August 7th 19, 08:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Wednesday, August 7, 2019 at 3:27:59 PM UTC-4, Dan Daly wrote:
[...]

I can't send the pics and .hdr file to you. Could you post a one-liner to the SAC FORUM and I can send via there. Or post your e-mail - all I see is .

Old August 7th 19, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Wednesday, August 7, 2019 at 5:31:58 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
[...]

Thanks Dan; it works.

Old August 7th 19, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martyn Johnson[_2_]

At 12:59 07 August 2019, M S wrote:
[...]

I have a Colibri II and run XCSoar on a Kobo; the GPS data goes Colibri
to Kobo; the declaration goes Kobo to Colibri. The cabling is homemade,
based on the specs available. It helps that the serial connection (wired
onto the motherboard) to the Kobo is TTL like the Colibri. The driver
used on XCSoar is LXNav.

Not sure if this helps, but at least it shows it works.

Old August 8th 19, 02:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
M S

At 19:27 07 August 2019, Dan Daly wrote:
SNIP for brevity

Pilot and OO instruction file. Go to line 40 - LX Navigation Colibri
II=
.. Open link on right hand side and read it.

I see... Unfortunately the information does not distinguish between a task
and a declaration. what it says sounds good, but that's not how it really
works. For those reading this, note that Dan has sent me a *.hdr
declaration file that loads into the Colbri II and erases any task.
Another task can then be loaded, but it remains to be seen if this adjusts
the declaration as the manual suggests. I can only find out how it really
works by testing it.

=
have a Colibri, but at this point with the LX 7007, you'd power on the
7007=
and then connect the Flight Recorder to the computer through a

USB-Serial
=
Converter. LXe then "sees" the FR, serial number, etc, and you push send.

That would be nice, but doesen't work because an SD card interface is
required..... perhaps the TTL to RS232 and then another RS232 to USB
converter might get it through, but we'll try a few other things first.

Two ways to do it:
1. In the SeeYou edit pulldown there is an item "Send to SD". If you have
y=
our task highlighted, it should do send it to a connected SD card (I
assume=
, formatted LX). Doesn't need to be connected to the Flight Recorder.

Nope. Not a menu item as demonstrated by comaring the screen shots we have
sent PM

2. You can use the Connection Wizard, browse to your task, fill out the
inf=
o, select upload declaration (not task), and send it to the connected LX
de=
vice.

Nope. Because nothing is connected you can't browse to a task and
therefore can't upload it.

I include a .hdr file I sent to my LX7007 using method 1 before I got

the
S=
D card working. Note if you open it in a text editor it isn't clean.
Probab=
ly the LX formatting.

YES!!! I could load the *.hdr file! If I load your declaration, the
loaded task disappears. I can then load another task, which might change
the declaration if I read the manual correctly, but I can't find out until
flying and generating an IGC file. So, there are multiple iterations of
testing that can be done, so I'll report back in case there are people
interested.

I will send pics of each via e-mail. SeeYou 3.95 is getting pretty old;
it=
may look different. I use 8.11, and that's a couple of years old. 10.1
was=
released in June...

Dan

Thanks Dan!

Old August 8th 19, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
M S

At 21:57 07 August 2019, Martyn Johnson wrote:
SNIP for brevity
I have a Colibri II and run XCSoar on a Kobo; the GPS data goes Colibri
to Kobo; the declaration goes Kobo to Colibri. The cabling is homemade,
based on the specs available. It helps that the serial connection (wired
onto the motherboard) to the Kobo is TTL like the Colibri. The driver
used on XCSoar is LXNav.

Not sure if this helps, but at least it shows it works.

Yes this helps! I am running Top Hat (a variant of XCSoar) on a rooted
Nook, and I expected I might have to go where you have been. I expect I
can find that wiring and setup on the Top Hat site, but I'd rather keep the
Nook running alone at this point because it's been reliable using an OTG
cable and USB GPS mouse.

FS Colibri II Luke Szczepaniak Soaring 1 March 13th 15 11:45 PM
Colibri V1 Phil Chidekel Soaring 4 June 5th 13 03:52 PM
Distinguishing an LX Navigation Colibri 1 from a Colibri 4? Papa3[_2_] Soaring 0 October 25th 12 02:49 AM
Colibri Fred Blair Soaring 2 August 25th 08 03:24 PM
Safelog software/flight log software question Mark Piloting 2 December 8th 03 03:34 PM