Garmin 430/530 and WAAS: Delayed again?

Old June 3rd 05, 11:41 PM
Andrew Gideon

Default Garmin 430/530 and WAAS: Delayed again?

I've been surprised to read nothing here about the new delay for WAAS on the
430/530s. Perhaps it's not new to everyone else?

It was supposed to be available this summer. It's not. It's now projected
for third quarter of 2006. However, one must order before some time this
year to lock in the $1500 price point.

Anyone here with more details or information?

Thanks...

Andrew

Old June 4th 05, 12:22 AM

On 3-Jun-2005, Andrew Gideon wrote:

Anyone here with more details or information?

See
http://www.aopa.org/members/050602garmin.html

--
-Elliott Drucker
Old June 4th 05, 03:29 AM
Victor J. Osborne, Jr.

As said before, Garmin shafts the existing customers by promising
(salesman's mouth open) things to keep folks from buying Avidyne. I've
bought my last Garmin product.

{|;-(

Victor J. (Jim) Osborne, Jr.

VOsborne2 at charter dot net

Old June 4th 05, 04:21 AM
Javier Henderson

"Victor J. Osborne, Jr." writes:

As said before, Garmin shafts the existing customers by promising
(salesman's mouth open) things to keep folks from buying Avidyne. I've
bought my last Garmin product.

They're turning into the Microsoft of aviation.

Unfortunately, the competition is way behind. How many KLN94's are
being sold these days?

-jav
Old June 4th 05, 05:50 PM
kontiki

Personally, I'll stick with my GPSMAP 196 and my KX-155. When the price
of WAAS approach capable GPS units comes down to earth I may consider
buying one.

In the meantime, I can do a heck of a lot of flying for 10+ grand.

Old June 5th 05, 01:42 AM
Ron Natalie

Victor J. Osborne, Jr. wrote:
As said before, Garmin shafts the existing customers by promising
(salesman's mouth open) things to keep folks from buying Avidyne.

Well since the 430 (or even the 530) doesn't compete against avidyne
I don't understand wy it is an issue. The G1000 competes against
Avidyne, but they won't sell that to end users. The MX20/GNS480
competes against avidyne (sort of) but it has WAAS.
Old June 5th 05, 04:10 PM
Thomas Borchert

Ron,

Well since the 430 (or even the 530) doesn't compete against avidyne
I don't understand wy it is an issue.

Not all posts on usenet are understandable...

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old June 7th 05, 01:03 AM

Why is it taking forever?

Probably because it can.

Bill Hale

Old June 7th 05, 03:49 PM
Mike Rapoport

I suspect that there are a lot of reasons including:

Certification issues
Availible engineering resources
Slow implementation of LPV approaches by FAA

There are many tens of thousands of 430s and 530 installed and upgrading
them represents a lot of revenue for Garmin, so I doubt that they are just
sitting on their hands.

Mike
MU-2

wrote in message
oups.com...
Why is it taking forever?

Probably because it can.

Bill Hale

Old June 7th 05, 05:26 PM
Frank Stutzman

In rec.aviation.owning Mike Rapoport wrote:

There are many tens of thousands of 430s and 530 installed and upgrading
them represents a lot of revenue for Garmin, so I doubt that they are just
sitting on their hands.

But at the $1500 price that Garmin has publically committed to is it that
big of a revenue stream for them? I mean its not chump change for some of
us, but considering what needs to happen to a 430 for this to work (new
software, new processor, new re-certification(?), the overhead of a whole
upgrade program), I'm surpised that Garmin can even break even at that
price.

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"

Any inside story re 430/530 WAAS cert.? [email protected] Instrument Flight Rules 0 May 20th 05 06:13 PM
Garmin GNS430 & WAAS Roy Page Owning 33 April 7th 05 04:02 AM
WAAS and Garmin 430/530 DoodyButch Owning 23 October 13th 03 04:06 AM
Terminology of New WAAS, VNAV, LPV approach types Tarver Engineering Instrument Flight Rules 2 August 5th 03 03:50 AM
Garmin Behind the Curve on WAAS GPS VNAV Approaches Richard Kaplan Instrument Flight Rules 24 July 18th 03 01:43 PM