DG-300/303 owners...

Old April 19th 07, 07:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc Ramsey

Default DG-300/303 owners...

Jack wrote:
Marc Ramsey wrote:

AMS Flight made the last 25, after they bought out ELAN's aircraft
business and bought the production rights from DG Flugzeugbau...

And they continued the defective construction techniques,
in the same facility, probably using the same personnel?

No wonder they are staying silent.

They haven't been silent, see the second item posted at:

http://www.ams-flight.si/

Marc
Old April 19th 07, 07:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jack

Marc Ramsey wrote:

[AMS-Flight] haven't been silent, see the second item posted at:

http://www.ams-flight.si/

Thanks.

After reading that one wonders is there no one available to AMS who
can translate German to English more clearly?

As a relative newcomer to soaring it surprises me how much of a
garage-level industry is the production of sailplanes which cost so
dearly. To think that AMS could not be bothered to keep production
records which recorded changes in their processes is shocking.

"Amateurish" does not begin to cover it.

Jack
Old April 19th 07, 08:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc Ramsey

Jack wrote:
After reading that one wonders is there no one available to AMS who can
translate German to English more clearly?

I wouldn't expect anyone there to do a particularly good job translating
German to English, any more than I would expect someone in the US to do
a good job of translating German to Slovenian.

As a relative newcomer to soaring it surprises me how much of a
garage-level industry is the production of sailplanes which cost so
dearly. To think that AMS could not be bothered to keep production
records which recorded changes in their processes is shocking.

"Amateurish" does not begin to cover it.

Glaser-Dirks was pretty clearly responsible for establishing the
inspection protocols and record keeping requirements. Apparently they
didn't consider this part of the manufacturing process important enough
to monitor. Why would Elan or AMS keep record of something that
Glaser-Dirks didn't request?

Marc
Old April 19th 07, 09:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jack

Marc Ramsey wrote:

Glaser-Dirks was pretty clearly responsible for establishing the
inspection protocols and record keeping requirements. Apparently they
didn't consider this part of the manufacturing process important enough
to monitor. Why would Elan or AMS keep record of something that
Glaser-Dirks didn't request?

An at least equally valid supposition is that the original
manufacturer and certificate holder could not imagine that someone
would take shortcuts in the process which could be expected to
result in a substandard product. Doing so not only deviated from the
specs but could be expected to actually reduce the strength of the
wing, according to DG-FZB.

Thank you for reminding me that AMS is in Slovenia and not in
Germany. However, the point was obvious -- that the employment of a
good translator would enhance their presentation to English speaking
customers. The neglect of this nicety is consistent with their
disregard for proper production techniques. All in all, their
involvement in the production of any glider will likely remove that
glider from my list of prospective future purchases.

Jack

Old April 19th 07, 09:49 AM
bagmaker bagmaker is offline
Senior Member

Location: Melbourne Australia

just wondering how much a NEW set of wings, 808 profile with butt adaption and tongue/fork width to suit 300/303 series would be worth.
Mr DG would be tooled up already, the new specs could be added to the manual and the glider is upgraded.
You Americans could then buy up the old 303 wings and bolt them to your beloved tinships for training!

There is always an outside to the square.

Bagger
(diving for flamesuit, as usual)
Old April 19th 07, 10:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc Ramsey

The neglect of this nicety is consistent with their disregard
for proper production techniques. All in all, their involvement in the
production of any glider will likely remove that glider from my list of
prospective future purchases.

The funny part is, my DG-303 had better fit and finish than the DG-800s
that were coming out of Germany at the time. My attitude on this is a
bit different than yours, Glaser-Dirks was responsible for ensuring that
all critical aspects of the work done by their subcontractors was of the
necessary high quality. DG Flugzeugbau obviously subcontracts out parts
of the manufacture of their current gliders, given that pretty much the
same people are involved on the DG side, why should I believe that they
are paying any more attention now than they were during the Glaser-Dirks
days?

Marc

Old April 19th 07, 10:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer[_1_]

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 09:31:47 -0600, Shawn
wrote:

What, you've never worried about the lift being too strong? You need to
come west!

At the moment I keep my hopes upon global warming....

Bye
Andreas
Old April 19th 07, 12:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jack

Marc Ramsey wrote:

DG Flugzeugbau obviously subcontracts out parts
of the manufacture of their current gliders, given that pretty much the
same people are involved on the DG side, why should I believe that they
are paying any more attention now than they were during the Glaser-Dirks
days?

A question we all should be asking. The problem is seven months
along already and these companies are only now beginning to generate
some sort of response, and little of it constructive.

Jack
Old April 19th 07, 03:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer

On 18 Apr 2007 19:30:12 GMT, Steve Davis
wrote:

'....and the pilots who fly them regard' might need
to be changed to 'the
pilots who flew them regard' unless an inexpensive
method of inspecting
and repairing them is developed by someone.

LOL... noone in my club is considering to stop flying our DG-300's...

Bye
Andreas
Old April 19th 07, 04:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shawn[_3_]

wrote:

What, you've never worried about the lift being too strong? You need to
come west!

At the moment I keep my hopes upon global warming....

Nevada-like weather in Germany? I don't think even Al Gore could go
that far. ;-)

Shawn

Beech Duke Owners/ex-Owners ple help... Stanley Owning 12 June 10th 16 12:36 AM
DG-300/303 owners... Marc Ramsey Soaring 34 April 22nd 07 05:07 AM
SHK Owners [email protected] Soaring 1 February 7th 06 06:37 PM
R22 owners please help with AD 2004-06-52 rotortrash Rotorcraft 20 April 28th 04 04:33 PM
Any UH-1 owners in here? Jim Rotorcraft 7 October 6th 03 02:33 AM