Corvair engine site needed

Old November 30th 09, 10:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
pintlar

Default Corvair engine site needed

I thought I had bookmarked the site where a gent had all kinds of data and
sources for Corvair engines for adaptation to aviation.
Now I can't locate that site.
Hope someone one can help me find any Corvair aviation engine site.
in advance. . .thanks.
PS. Is 100 hp about max one can get out of a Beetle 4 cyc opposed air
cooled engine w/o turbo charging?

Old November 30th 09, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bob Kuykendall

On Nov 30, 2:06*pm, "Pintlar" wrote:

PS. *Is 100 hp about max one can get out of a Beetle 4 cyc opposed air
cooled engine w/o turbo charging?

If by "100 hp" you mean "about 42 horsepower maximum continuous," then
I think you're in the ballpark. See the R.S. Hoover blog for details.

Thanks, Bob K.
Old November 30th 09, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jim Ham

Pintlar wrote:
I thought I had bookmarked the site where a gent had all kinds of data and
sources for Corvair engines for adaptation to aviation.
Now I can't locate that site.
Hope someone one can help me find any Corvair aviation engine site.
in advance. . .thanks.
PS. Is 100 hp about max one can get out of a Beetle 4 cyc opposed air
cooled engine w/o turbo charging?

You will get a lot of opinions about this. Look a aircraft that can use
a VW or an O200 and compare performance. Q2 vs. Q200 is one. My own
opinion is that a VW can produce about 50hp continuously and reliably.
Anything over this and you start with valve problems and cracked cases.
Look at Great Plains http://www.greatplainsas.com/. Perhaps the
exception is Limbach
http://www.limflug.de/index.php?page=homepage&lang=eng but you'll pay
for it. Remember that talk is cheap.

Rutan wanted about 65hp for the vari-eze. He started with a VW but
switched to a C85 after a few bad experiences. He never designed an
airplane for a VW again.

Old November 30th 09, 11:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

"Pintlar" wrote in message
I thought I had bookmarked the site where a gent had all kinds of data and
sources for Corvair engines for adaptation to aviation.
Now I can't locate that site.
Hope someone one can help me find any Corvair aviation engine site.
in advance. . .thanks.
PS. Is 100 hp about max one can get out of a Beetle 4 cyc opposed air
cooled engine w/o turbo charging?

To answer your first question:
http://www.flycorvair.com/

As to the second, 100 hp is way more than you can get from the VW.
Actually, I have had my dissagreements with Veeduber over the true
figure--because I am willing to consider maximum continuous power as a
percentage of maximum take-off power and also because I am willing to
suppose that maximum continuous power can be increased slightly (possible as
much as 10%) by the use of a cooling fan to augment the cooling pressure.
But I would personally forget about 100 hp from a VW, and would not
personally consider anything that ordinarily needed more than 45 hp from a
VW for extended periods during the climb.

Peter

Old December 4th 09, 11:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
David E. Powell

I bet the Honda Civics and some of the Subarus have some pretty neat
light engines in them.

The past decade or two's "rice rocket" obsession in car customizing
should have some neat impact on light, powerful engines and parts
available to the airplane homebuilder.
Old December 5th 09, 02:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

"David E. Powell" wrote in message
I bet the Honda Civics and some of the Subarus have some pretty neat
light engines in them.

The past decade or two's "rice rocket" obsession in car customizing
should have some neat impact on light, powerful engines and parts
available to the airplane homebuilder.

Keep in mind that most of those super hot little engines are run at full
power for applications similar to drag racing. Presuming that they can
"last" that way, 50 hours is likely to be a very old engine.

Just so you know, I was a long time advocate of automotive conversions and I
really do still like a lot of them; but, like so many of us, I am getting
old--to the point that, if I do finally get to build, I am likely to chose
something like an RV-9 and a Lycoming O-235. The problem is that there are
a couple of old rules of thumb--that still seem to work pretty well--and the
RV-9 has replaced the Tailwind, the Vari-EZ, and a couple of others as the
established design that comes closest to meeting or beating the probable
performance and efficiency of everything on my personal scratch pad.

Now, admittedly, there are still a few designs on that scratch pad that are
a lot faster--and a few that would probably be more fun including feeding my
personal pride--but I still have to admit to myself that "dispatch
reliability" is a very real component of both performance and efficiency,
and I also know that those old type certified "dynosaur" engines can run as
lean as you please below about 60 percent power--and the RV-9 have very good
published numbers at 55 percent. When you want to really cover the
distance, for those few long trips per year, you just rev it up and pour on
the fuel. Still not super fast; but fast enough to be a seroius contender!

That's just the real world as I see it.
Peter

Old December 9th 09, 08:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Neal Fulco

On Nov 30, 4:06*pm, "Pintlar" wrote:
I thought I had bookmarked the site where a gent had all kinds of data and
sources for Corvair engines for adaptation to aviation.
Now I can't locate that site.
Hope someone one can help me find *any Corvair aviation engine site.
in advance. . .thanks.
PS. *Is 100 hp about max one can get out of a Beetle 4 cyc opposed air
cooled engine w/o turbo charging?

Check out the following sites for Corvair info.

home.hiwaay.net/~langford/corvair/
www.flycorvair.com
www.billclapp.com
www.flywithgus.com
www.fly5thbearing.com
www.corvaircraft.com

Just about everything you need to know can be found on these sites.
Enjoy

Neal
Old January 17th 10, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Fred the Red Shirt

On Dec 4 2009, 6:41*pm, "David E. Powell"
wrote:
I bet the Honda Civics and some of the Subarus have some pretty neat
light engines in them.

I believe the Civic CVCC engines have had cast iron blocks and
they may still be cast iron. Subarus were always water cooled
and still are, right?

I am surprised that motorcycle engines, like the BMW footwarmers,
are not a popular starting point for conversions. I'm sure there are
good reasons for that, just don't know what they are.

--

FF

Old January 17th 10, 01:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jan olieslagers[_2_]

Fred the Red Shirt schreef:

I am surprised that motorcycle engines, like the BMW footwarmers,
are not a popular starting point for conversions. I'm sure there are
good reasons for that, just don't know what they are.

Whatever the reasons, they must depend on local factors, such as
availability of engines, spares, workmanship. Here in tiny Belgium I
hear about spreading use of a BMW bike engine conversion.

http://www.asa-be.com/images/PhotoGa...G01/OO-G23.JPG

shows an example - observe the extra cowling width, and the very long
exhaust pipe.
Old January 17th 10, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jan olieslagers[_2_]

Default BMW engine for ultralight (was: Corvair engine site needed)

jan olieslagers schreef:
Fred the Red Shirt schreef:

I am surprised that motorcycle engines, like the BMW footwarmers,
are not a popular starting point for conversions. I'm sure there are
good reasons for that, just don't know what they are.

Whatever the reasons, they must depend on local factors, such as
availability of engines, spares, workmanship. Here in tiny Belgium I
hear about spreading use of a BMW bike engine conversion.

http://www.asa-be.com/images/PhotoGa...G01/OO-G23.JPG

shows an example - observe the extra cowling width, and the very long
exhaust pipe.

Can't be sure but might well be from this place:
http://www.takeoff-ul.de/
(and good luck with the Teuton lingo...)

Soooo, what is the best plane to build around a corvair engine? Lou Home Built 21 November 11th 06 12:56 AM
CORVAIR ENGINE alan frederick charles sattler Aviation Marketplace 1 June 12th 06 03:01 PM
Corvair Engine Conversion Breakin Success Dick Home Built 1 January 11th 04 02:06 PM
Web site info needed dave Home Built 1 December 3rd 03 04:12 AM
Which Corvair engine JSoar Home Built 10 August 14th 03 02:48 AM