Newsgroup Porn Posts - Ideas on how to stop?

Old July 16th 04, 03:31 AM
Cockpit Colin

Default Newsgroup Porn Posts - Ideas on how to stop?

Unless it's just my imagination are we all of a sudden getting a lot more
porn postings in this (and other groups)?

Has anyone found any effective tools that stop it getting displayed at our
end?

Cheers,

CC

Old July 16th 04, 03:40 AM
G. Burkhart

"Cockpit Colin" wrote in message
Unless it's just my imagination are we all of a sudden getting a lot more
porn postings in this (and other groups)?

Has anyone found any effective tools that stop it getting displayed at our
end?

Good luck trying to stop the porn and spam posts in newsgroups...

You can ignore them or set up filters in your news reader to try to hide or
delete them.

Old July 16th 04, 06:54 AM
Peter Duniho

"Cockpit Colin" wrote in message
Unless it's just my imagination are we all of a sudden getting a lot more
porn postings in this (and other groups)?

Has anyone found any effective tools that stop it getting displayed at our
end?

Use an ISP that does a better job of filtering them. I haven't seen one in
this newsgroup in months.

Of course, barring that, the other reply has useful suggestions as well.
Depending on what you don't like about the porn spam, you may want to
consider using a newsreader that gives you the option of not interpreting
the HTML. At least that way, you won't have to deal with inline pictures.

Pete

Old July 16th 04, 04:20 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Cockpit Colin wrote:

Has anyone found any effective tools that stop it getting displayed at our
end?

The ones I've seen lately all seem to be something about the Simpsons, so I set up a
filter in Netscape that deletes any post with "Simpson" in the title. Haven't seen
one since.

George Patterson
In Idaho, tossing a rattlesnake into a crowded room is felony assault.
In Tennessee, it's evangelism.
Old July 17th 04, 07:25 AM
Cockpit Colin

Thanks folks - I've added a few choice words to the filter and that seems to
have cut back 90% of them.

Someone must be doing a good job of filtering - with my ISP it seems like
about 1 out of 3 are porn related.