Lawyers Flying Gliders

Old October 5th 04, 04:08 AM
Matt Herron

Default Lawyers Flying Gliders

This is a bit wierd, but a friend and I can think of no lawyers who
fly gliders. We can think of plenty of doctors and gobs of engineers,
but no members of that darker profession. Is it just us, or is there
something about soaring that excludes lawyers? Aversion to risk??
Old October 5th 04, 04:32 AM
Stewart Kissel

Oh they are out there...maybe not to the extent of
the medical profession....after all how many V-tailed
lawyer killers are out there?

Old October 5th 04, 04:33 AM
Bob Kuykendall

At 03:36 05 October 2004, Matt Herron wrote:

This is a bit wierd, but a friend and I can
think of no lawyers who fly gliders. We can
think of plenty of doctors and gobs of
engineers, but no members of that darker
profession. Is it just us, or is there
something about soaring that excludes
lawyers? Aversion to risk??

The former, I believe. I know of four attorneys who
fly sailplanes; all of them at my home site.

Bob K.

Old October 5th 04, 04:59 AM
Eric Greenwell

Matt Herron wrote:

This is a bit wierd, but a friend and I can think of no lawyers who
fly gliders. We can think of plenty of doctors and gobs of engineers,
but no members of that darker profession. Is it just us, or is there
something about soaring that excludes lawyers? Aversion to risk??

A former board member of the ASA (Auxiliary-powered Sailplane
Association) is a lawyer, and I know one that flies R/C model
sailplanes. Maybe there are just a lot more engineers and doctors than
lawyers?

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old October 5th 04, 05:10 AM
Greg Arnold

Matt Herron wrote:
This is a bit wierd, but a friend and I can think of no lawyers who
fly gliders. We can think of plenty of doctors and gobs of engineers,
but no members of that darker profession. Is it just us, or is there
something about soaring that excludes lawyers? Aversion to risk??

About a dozen pilots where I fly, and two are lawyers.
Old October 5th 04, 05:49 AM
COLIN LAMB

I am a lawyer, and a sailplane and motorglider and airplane and helicopter
pilot. All are art forms requiring practice.

Maybe the reason you have not heard of them is because they are shy.

Colin N12HS

---

Old October 5th 04, 05:58 AM
BTIZ

we have one lawyer in our glider club...
she owns a Libelle

BT

om...

Old October 5th 04, 06:09 AM
F.L. Whiteley

"Matt Herron" wrote in message
om...
This is a bit wierd, but a friend and I can think of no lawyers who
fly gliders. We can think of plenty of doctors and gobs of engineers,
but no members of that darker profession. Is it just us, or is there
something about soaring that excludes lawyers? Aversion to risk??

We had one, but he's been inactive recently. AFAIK, he's a tort lawyer.

Old October 5th 04, 06:34 AM
Andy Blackburn

Soaring requires a certain amount of self-sufficiency.

If an engineer's glider gets dinged, (s)he can fix
it. If a doctor gets sunburn at the gliderport, (s)he
can self-administer first aid.

If a lawyer suffers a gliding mishap, all (s)he can
do is sue him/herself.

I apologize in advance to all offended attorneys.

9B

At 05:36 05 October 2004, F.L. Whiteley wrote:

. com...

Old October 5th 04, 02:35 PM
COLIN LAMB

9B said:

If a lawyer suffers a gliding mishap, all (s)he can
do is sue him/herself.

Wrong! Clearly, you do not have the mind of a lawyer. You can sue your
instructor, who failed to teach properly. You can sue the owner of the
field, who failed to mark, designate or level. You can sue the aircraft
manufacturer, who failed to build so that a fool (or lawyer) could operate
it. You can sue the FAA, who mistakenly gave you a license. You can sue
the controller, who authorized you to damage your aircraft. And, what about
the hapless individual who sold you this intrument of destruction and failed
to warn you that it might crash if improperly piloted? Then there is the
author of the glider book you read and relied upon, who neglected to warn
about the dangers of uneven grass runways. And the publisher who allowed
the book you read to be published. Then, the local weather bureau, which
did not mention that for every up draft, there is a down draft.

So, this may be the answer to the original question. Lawyers are so busy
filing lawsuits they do not have enough time to fly.

Colin N12HS

---