Pre-heating

Old December 30th 03, 01:17 AM
Charles Talleyrand

Default Pre-heating

Our FBO (who are otherwise OK people) have a new policy. They will not
allow one to leave one's airplane's preheater plugged in continously. Instead, one must call them ahead of time and they will plug
it in for you. They charge $10 for this
service.

My questions are this: How long does it take to pre-heat an engine? And will pre-heating my engine prevent more than $10 of damage
per flight? Finally, how do you know? It's more reassuring to here from a mechanic than some tale that starts "My grandfather's
uncle noticed ..."

My particulars are

A Cessna 150
Tannis preheater
It's currently 30 degrees outside.
About 1500 SMOH

Old December 30th 03, 01:44 AM
MRQB

I have block heaters on all my auto's prevents excessive wear on your
cylinders and oil pump and other parts. I even have battery warmer will make
your battery last longer.

Thick oil to your oil pump is like sucking a thick milkshake through a small
straw then blowing that thick milkshake through another straw that has even
smaller diameter.

The thick cold oil will not flow through the oil passages to the rod
bearings cam bearings ect as fast until it gets thinner causing excessive
engine ware. I know this is how it is in auto engines not sure about
aircraft engines.

one thing i have notices about the aircraft engines vs. auto engines is the
quality of workmanship and engineering of the crank housing the torque is
distributed thoughout the entire casting instead of just 1/2 of it and a
little main cap but that is another subject.

Old December 30th 03, 03:07 AM
tony roberts

My questions are this: How long does it take to pre-heat an engine? And
will pre-heating my engine prevent more than $10 of damage
per flight? Finally, how do you know? It's more reassuring to here from a
mechanic than some tale that starts "My grandfather's
uncle noticed ..."

My grandfather's neighbours cousin once said that it would do less that
$10.00 of damage. Of course, $10.00 was worth a lot more then.
He also mentioned that the attitude you display when you ask your
question will dictate the quality and quantity of the responses.

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
Old December 30th 03, 12:03 PM
Roger Long

Most of the wear in an aircraft engine happens during starts before the oil
starts flowing. Every normal start probably costs you ten bucks in a 152 or
172.

You can screw up an engine with a single cold start. It won't fail
immediately but you will change the metal surfaces so that it starts wearing
faster from then on.

The tenderest parts of Lycomings are the cams which are above the crankshaft
and lubricated primarily by splashing oil. Oil doesn't splash well until it
gets to about 60 degrees so the cams and other parts are basically running
for several minutes only on what stuck from the last flight.

Now that many people preheat religiously, much of the wear is probably
taking place in the fall and spring between freezing and 60 degrees.

People will tell you that so an so never pre-heated and his engine ran over
TBO. You'll also hear about engines opened up and found to have cam lobes
worn to where the valves were only opening a quarter of the way. Is that
the way you want to make the last dozen flights before your next overhaul?

--
Roger Long

Old December 30th 03, 03:06 PM
PaulaJay1

In article , "Charles Talleyrand"
writes:

Our FBO (who are otherwise OK people) have a new policy. They will not
allow one to leave one's airplane's preheater plugged in continously.
Instead, one must call them ahead of time and they will plug
it in for you. They charge $10 for this
service.

My FBO has the same policy though they don't charge for the plugin. They say
they have the policy because of the risk of fire. I find an hour or a little
more makes the engine feel warn to the touch. I have Tanis heaters.

Chuck
Old December 30th 03, 03:30 PM
Ron Natalie

"PaulaJay1" wrote in message ...

My FBO has the same policy though they don't charge for the plugin. They say
they have the policy because of the risk of fire. I find an hour or a little
more makes the engine feel warn to the touch. I have Tanis heaters.

Do they run around and unscrew all the light bulbs on the field when they're not in
use? These heaters run very low amount of watts. Has anybody ever seen an
airplane catch fire from a block heater? As anybody ever seen a car (of which
in the permafrost sections of this country there are a lot more of) catch fire because
of a block heater?

Old December 30th 03, 04:16 PM
Jay Honeck

My FBO has the same policy though they don't charge for the plugin. They
say
they have the policy because of the risk of fire. I find an hour or a

little
more makes the engine feel warn to the touch. I have Tanis heaters.

Are we talking about HANGARED planes here? Or tied down?

I can perhaps understand not allowing "permanent plug-ins" for tied down
planes -- after all, the cords all over the ramp are a "trip hazard", if
nothing else.

But if they are telling you that you can't leave your plane plugged in
inside your own hangar, I'd tell them to get screwed.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 30th 03, 05:16 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 16:16:53 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

Are we talking about HANGARED planes here? Or tied down?

I can perhaps understand not allowing "permanent plug-ins" for tied down
planes -- after all, the cords all over the ramp are a "trip hazard", if
nothing else.

But if they are telling you that you can't leave your plane plugged in
inside your own hangar, I'd tell them to get screwed.
--

When I was based at ASH, my a/c was outdoors at an "electric tiedown".
These were set up by the city, and they charged a bit more for the tiedown.

So far as safety from shorts, etc., all of the outlets had GFCI plugs that
would trigger if there were any electrical shorts, grounds, problems, etc.
Sometimes they would trigger for no apparent reason, but that was rare.

A Tanis install on my four cylinder Mooney (four cylinder heaters plus the
oil) draws about 300 watts. That comes to about 220 kWh/month. With
electricity at, let us say, $0.10/kWh, the cost of leaving it plugged in
all the time would be $22/month.

But if the electricity "belongs" to the FBO, there's not much one can do
about it, except take one's business elsewhere, or complain to the landlord
if they are violating the terms of their lease.

Old December 31st 03, 02:04 AM
PaulaJay1

In article VxhIb.15664$xX.39639@attbi_s02, "Jay Honeck"
writes:

I can perhaps understand not allowing "permanent plug-ins" for tied down
planes -- after all, the cords all over the ramp are a "trip hazard", if
nothing else.

But if they are telling you that you can't leave your plane plugged in
inside your own hangar, I'd tell them to get screwed.

It's in the big hanger with about 10 planes. They do all the in and out.

Chuck
Old December 31st 03, 02:04 AM
PaulaJay1

In article , "Ron Natalie"
writes:

My FBO has the same policy though they don't charge for the plugin. They say
they have the policy because of the risk of fire. I find an hour or a

little
more makes the engine feel warn to the touch. I have Tanis heaters.

Do they run around and unscrew all the light bulbs on the field when they're
not in
use? These heaters run very low amount of watts. Has anybody ever seen an
airplane catch fire from a block heater? As anybody ever seen a car (of
which
in the permafrost sections of this country there are a lot more of) catch
fire because
of a block heater?

Ron, I agree with you. But like the mice that are quick to decide that the cat
needs a bell. Now which one of them is going the bell the cat. The owner of
the private airport where I keep my plane hangered for $100 per month has this
rule. There is no water in the hanger and no one in attendance at night. I
can't tell him he is wrong.

Chuck

continuous carburettor heating? Rob Turk Home Built 9 September 5th 04 03:45 PM
more radial fans like fw190? jt Military Aviation 51 August 28th 04 04:22 AM
spaceship one Pianome Home Built 169 June 30th 04 05:47 AM
Refuting blackbird folklore frank wight Military Aviation 42 December 3rd 03 09:24 AM